Turn on thread page Beta

the "dyslexia" excuse EXTRA TIME! WTH? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazydan599)
    And even when I used my extra time i felt SOOO EMBARRASED by it because I was left on my own, with a grand announcement to keep quiet, because I was still working, and everyone just staring at me as they left moaning about my time.

I only use it when I really need it.
    Tell me about it.. i would rather people leave playing a brass band than be pointed out to everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    This is where you're wrong. I read slowly - not because I am dyslexic; but because I am partially sighted. I am also bad at spelling - again, this is a memory issue unrelated to dyslexia.
    My point is these people will claim dyslexia as an excuse rather than be labeled as stupid and to gain the other benefits

ReputationRep:
    There was a lad in my 6th form who got 15 mins extra time in each exam because he had like depression/anxiety issues! everybody goes through bad times, it pisses me off sooo much when people get extra time whilst I'm writing at a barely legible pace and loosing marks other ways when my parents havent exactly been the 'most loving' to put that in a nice way.
    it's all positive discrimination if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 5Stories)

I went to a private school and the school encouraged everyone to go to an expensive private doctors and take a 'dyselxia test'. All of those privileged enough to have a few hundred pounds to spend on this doctor's appointment conveniently passed (or should that be failed?) and were diagnosed as dyslexic. It's a bit of a joke that in my English exam, 8 out of 10 of my fellow classmates were 'dyslexic', despite it not being a special school and with one or two exceptions everyone was clearly perfectly capable. Then bizarely I had a friend who got extra time AND a laptop for having poor handwriting. He was allowed a laptop for the poor handwriting but even he couldn't explain why the school allowed him extra time as well, but who would turn it down? Essentially, it was a private school so the kids parent's were well off and they paid for the extra time. The loophole was there and it was used. I'm willing to bet the percentage of kids in private schools with extra time is enormously higher than those in state schools. That cannot be fair.

Now, I'm not saying there aren't people out there with genuine learning disabilities but the system is so easily exploited it's insulting to those people who really do have these learning disabilities.

This. This exactly.

The first day of school, they sat us down and did preliminary dyslexia testing on everyone. Anyone who was classed as 'dyslexic' or only just normal was sent on an extra testing thing. I swear, one of my friends got a free laptop and extra time in all of his exams. He doesn't have dyslexia. He has bad handwriting. He then went to uni and got ANOTHER free laptop.

When I was doing my exams, at least 20% of all the people doing exams were either doing them on computers or had extra time. Is this normal? I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with people who really need it getting extra time/resources, however it just seems somewhat excessive the number of people receiving these things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pigwigeon)
    This. This exactly.

The first day of school, they sat us down and did preliminary dyslexia testing on everyone. Anyone who was classed as 'dyslexic' or only just normal was sent on an extra testing thing. I swear, one of my friends got a free laptop and extra time in all of his exams. He doesn't have dyslexia. He has bad handwriting. He then went to uni and got ANOTHER free laptop.

When I was doing my exams, at least 20% of all the people doing exams were either doing them on computers or had extra time. Is this normal? I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with people who really need it getting extra time/resources, however it just seems somewhat excessive the number of people receiving these things.
    this is exaclty the problem! people who are not deserving don't deserve it! I think the exam boards should see a rise in dyslexia and do something about those 'cheaters'

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it even exists to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jabed786)
    There was a lad in my 6th form who got 15 mins extra time in each exam because he had like depression/anxiety issues! everybody goes through bad times, it pisses me off sooo much when people get extra time whilst I'm writing at a barely legible pace and loosing marks other ways when my parents havent exactly been the 'most loving' to put that in a nice way.
    Do you even know what depression really is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cesare Borgia)
    I don't think it even exists to be honest.
    it does my sister has difficulty reading and our doctor even suggested she was, so yh it does exist but i think it's slapped on to people all to often

ReputationRep:
    I broadly agree with the OP. I accept that there are people who genuinely need the extra time, but I know far too many people who are completely fine for the rest of the year, but when it comes to exams... they're "dyslexic." I'm not one of these people who doesn't believe in dyslexia, but I do believe it's a label which is far too readily applied to some people.

On a related note, until last year one Chinese guy in my year got about an hour extra in all his exams because he hadn't lived in the UK for a certain period of time or something. Didn't seem to matter that he was completely fluent in English- in fact, he spoke and read it better than most English people! He would have been the first to admit that he didn't need the time, but as someone else has already said: who would turn it down?

Still, there's not really much point in ranting- there's really nothing we can do about it!

ReputationRep:

You can get extra time for depression or anxiety? Day-ummmmmmmm, I missed a trick there. Could've actually done well in my A Levels with a few extra minutes...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EM(Lin))
    I broadly agree with the OP. I accept that there are people who genuinely need the extra time, but I know far too many people who are completely fine for the rest of the year, but when it comes to exams... they're "dyslexic." I'm not one of these people who doesn't believe in dyslexia, but I do believe it's a label which is far too readily applied to some people.

On a related note, until last year one Chinese guy in my year got about an hour extra in all his exams because he hadn't lived in the UK for a certain period of time or something. Didn't seem to matter that he was completely fluent in English- in fact, he spoke and read it better than most English people! He would have been the first to admit that he didn't need the time, but as someone else has already said: who would turn it down?

Still, there's not really much point in ranting- there's really nothing we can do about it!
    yh your right! No point ranting and wasting time! people who aren't dyslexic and get extra time are simply SCUM IMO, they are what you will call 'exploiters'

ReputationRep:
    bwhahaha, possibly the most ridiculous post ever.
    Have you ever had an anxiety/ depression disorder? It's not something you just put to the back of your mind.
    Looks like someone is just unhappy with how well they're doing in exams...

Also OP (and other commentators), whilst the system is obviously open to exploitation, if these people are "getting 90+" without extra time, why fake dyslexia for a few extra minutes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samzurai)
    it does my sister has difficulty reading and our doctor even suggested she was, so yh it does exist but i think it's slapped on to people all to often
    Give people a possible excuse and they will abuse it, dyslexia/ADHD(crock of **** that one)/aspergers(getting trendy that one). I don't see the point in extra time 'dyslexics' anyway, it's not going to go away once they leave school, they won't get allowances in the real world so they need to learn deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JacobM)
    Have you ever had an anxiety/ depression disorder? It's not something you just put to the back of your mind.

Also OP (and other commentators), whilst the system is obviously open to exploitation, if these people are "getting 90+" without extra time, why fake dyslexia for a few extra minutes?
    well your right why? but honeslty in exams naturally your bound to make more errors than usual! So its a bonus allowing people to go over their answers!

ReputationRep:

I have had depression (diagnosed by several doctors, before you ask). I have never requested extra time for an exam in my life.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently, the secondary school I went to thought I was dyslexic so I had 25% extra time for my GCSEs. (Also had to take some stupid tests like saying the alphabet as fast as you can...wtf?) I wasn't complaining. But now I'm at college so I don't get any.
    Fun times.

Well I did try to convince them that I wasn't because I was upset about it but they were like 'don't cry, it's not that bad...'. I tried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superman_Jr)
    Apparently, the secondary school I went to thought I was dyslexic so I had 25% extra time for my GCSEs. (Also had to take some stupid tests like saying the alphabet as fast as you can...wtf?) I wasn't complaining. But now I'm at college so I don't get any.
    Fun times.

Well I did try to convince them that I wasn't because I was upset about it but they were like 'don't cry, it's not that bad...'. I tried.
    lol they even wanted you stay on as dyslexic,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EM(Lin))
    I have had depression (diagnosed by several doctors, before you ask). I have never requested extra time for an exam in my life.
    I didn't say you have, it's just that in my experience of patients with a depression/ (and admittedly only generalised) anxiety disorder, I would not begrudge sufferers and extra hour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    Do you even know what depression really is?
    Well I've never been diagnosed of it because I didnt want to get a councellor or doctor but yeah I'm pretty sure I've been through it for 3 years of my life.
    Plus I'm studying psych at alevel so I think I have a good idea on what it really is.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say you have, it's just that in my experience of patients with a depression/ (and admittedly only generalised) anxiety disorder, I would not begrudge sufferers and extra hour.
    To be honest, I totally ****** up one of my Latin (the most important subject for me in terms of university entrance) modules last summer as a direct result of my depression. And I mean messed up- I dropped 2 grades in that module. Thankfully my other results were sufficiently high to drag my overall mark back up to an A, but I honestly don't think having extra time would have helped. I would have just sat there getting more and more anxious.

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.