Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, im thinking about opening a second student account/overdraft, does anyone have any experience in doing this?

what banks are best to do this with? also, anyone know anything getting credit checked? cant they see your original account??

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mwalshe89)
    Hi, im thinking about opening a second student account/overdraft, does anyone have any experience in doing this?

what banks are best to do this with? also, anyone know anything getting credit checked? cant they see your original account??

Thanks
    For many banks, it's against the terms & conditions of their student account to hold a second student account. Either that, or they stipulate that your account with them must be your 'main' account (defined in various ways across the different banks). What bank do you currently hold an account with? You should check the T&Cs for your account to see whther you're allowed to have a second student account. If you breach the T&Cs, be aware that the bank would be well within their rights to request immediate repayment of any outstanding overdraft. I'd also warn you that it's not usually a great idea to accumulate too large a debt unless you really need it, as you could well regret it later when you have to pay it off.

If you're adamant that you want to try this, let us know which bank you're with currently and we can advise you further. Some banks will be happy with you having two accounts provided each is regularly funded in some way (e.g., with student loan payments, or income from a job).

ReputationRep:
    My account is with halifax with a 2k O/D in my 2nd year...

Thanks allot for the detailed reply!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mwalshe89)
    My account is with halifax with a 2k O/D in my 2nd year...

Thanks allot for the detailed reply!
    Full T&Cs.

From a quick scan, I don't see anything in there explicitly saying that you can't have a second account (though I'd suggest that you review the conditions yourself as well). Regardless of this, if you leave the account inactive with a large outstanding overdraft you're quite likely to find that the overdraft is recalled, so be careful.

ReputationRep:
    thanks, does anyone have any experience with opening one??

ReputationRep:
    shameless self bump

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.