Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How is it difficulty wise? I'm in Year 11 atm doing the Higher Tier AQA course and tbh it's pretty easy. A lot of it is just working out stuff, and even then they give you the formula. How is it compared to GCSE? I'm defineitly taking it at A-level, just wondering how it is.

ReputationRep:
    Nah it is MUCH harder than GCSE
    Tbh GCSE you just learnt simple facts out of a book and regurgitated them in the exam... in A level a) There is much more to learn and b) You need to be able to apply all of this knowledge.
    Maybe I find it hard because I have the 2 worst most boring teachers in the world for it... but to answer... there is a big jump.... there is for every subject tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Much harder than physics GCSE for definite, but not the hardest A-level either.
    If you enjoy the subject matter then you'll enjoy the A-level course as well.

ReputationRep:
    A level Physics in my case is:

Definitions
    &
    Formula to Formula to Formula to Answer.

ReputationRep:
    Not terribly difficult on the whole if you're fairly decent at Maths tbh - the subject is quite mathematical in nature by A-level standards (not including Maths).But having said that you do need some understanding of what's going on and to that end GCSE Physics as you described it is a bit of a joke.

ReputationRep:
    Be warned that OCR B is ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gozatron)
    A level Physics in my case is:

Definitions
    &
    Formula to Formula to Formula to Answer.
    This.

As long as you can remember the definitions and do maths, it's not so bad.

ReputationRep:
    I personally think being better at Maths is an advantage, it's a good A level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    Be warned that OCR B is ****.
    OCR B + Crap Teachers + Pressure for A from Uni = FAIL

ReputationRep:
    i found A level physics pretty easy but i'm the type of person who likes having a theory and then adapting and applying it rather than just learning a load of stuff and remembering it. That's why physics was really suited to me!

ReputationRep:
    I only did AS (and got an A) but it was easily the subject that required the most work for me.

ReputationRep:
    It's a big step up from GCSE for sure.
    GCSE barely scratches the surface, but if you're doing the higher tier GCSE and you happen to be good at maths (doing mechanics modules is an added bosus) then you can do well in it.

The great thing about physics is you don't actually have to know the theory by heart, if you know the mathematical relationships and the formulae you can pretty much derive the theory from them, apply it and make sense of it. Workload wise it's not much at all, it's a lot to do with understanding and once you've got that in your mind you're all set :yep:

ReputationRep:
    From what I've heard, if you're good at it, provided you put in a bit of work, you should be totally fine with it. I think people who aren't naturally good at it find it very difficult, however.

ReputationRep:
    It depends a lot on the people teaching you as well. I had 2 poor teachers at AS and despite all the revision in the world only came out with a C, but now i'm at A2 i've got better teachers and am set for an A with a resit or two. Oh and there are plenty of formulae to get stuck into, it certainly helps if you're good with your algebra

ReputationRep:
    I'm finding it hard, I went from GCSE Additional science, to taking all 3 sciences and it's a big jump.
    There isn't too much to learn really, as you're given a formula sheet in the exam, but understanding it can be a challenge at times.

ReputationRep:
    I spent the first few months thinking "aaaarghh omg" but I got used to the right way of thinking and quite often the teacher [well, mine anyway] will make things seem a lot more complicated than they are. And don't get put off if your first module is particle physics, afaik noone understands it.

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.