Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Last year I had an offer for medicine after having an interview but missed my grades and was rejected. I then reapplied to them (after resitting the problem module last week) and they rejected me without interview despite telling me it was fine to apply and my application would not be disadvanted due to resitting. I applied via an access scheme and I think that the university have not followed their rules and regulations by rejecting me without interviewing me. The access department told me that the medical school should have interviewed but I have yet to get in touch with the medical school. On results day I also believe that they didn't follow the rules and regulations. The point of this post really is to find out, how many appeals actually end up being successful and in my case could they offer me an interview and then make a decision or is the unsuccessful on track the end of the line? Does anyone have any experiences of appeals or do the med schools cover their backs well?

ReputationRep:
    Call them (again?) and ask why you were rejected ? Then see from there

ReputationRep:
    which med school was it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ce92)
    Call them (again?) and ask why you were rejected ? Then see from there
    i got the rejection letter today where it just gave a generic response - too many candidates, significant increase in applications etc. what confuses me most is that last year i managed to beat the competition and get so far in the process to the point where it was a few measly marks that let me down. i think this competition reason is pathetic given i had an offer last year - how much can their requirements change in 6months? i fail to understnad that - if i had got those few marks i would have been a med student now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elsa10)
    i got the rejection letter today where it just gave a generic response - too many candidates, significant increase in applications etc. what confuses me most is that last year i managed to beat the competition and get so far in the process to the point where it was a few measly marks that let me down. i think this competition reason is pathetic given i had an offer last year - how much can their requirements change in 6months? i fail to understnad that - if i had got those few marks i would have been a med student now
    I would ring and ask - after all it's your future here !

ReputationRep:
    Last year and this year are two different admission cycles.
    They have no reason to be deliberately overlooking your application so why can you not accept that there probably are greater numbers of/stronger candidates?
    What exactly is it you suspect this medical school of doing to you?
    Applicants applying under the various access schemes will suffer rejections in the same way as ordinary applicants.
    And yes, if you "had got those few marks" you would be a medical student now... but you didn't. That's how the admissions process works.
    Swallow your pride and move on by concentrating on your other applications.

ReputationRep:
    OP ignore the post above. What about all those people who get in for deferred entries - are they weaker than the new cohort? I would go ahead with the appeal, after all you've got nothing to loose. under some access schemes like the one at sheffield aren;t they meant to give you detailed feedback as to why you did not get in - not the generic response.

ReputationRep:
    Last year I had an offer for medicine after having an interview but missed my grades and was rejected. I then reapplied to them (after resitting the problem module last week) and they rejected me without interview despite telling me it was fine to apply and my application would not be disadvanted due to resitting. I applied via an access scheme and I think that the university have not followed their rules and regulations by rejecting me without interviewing me. The access department told me that the medical school should have interviewed but I have yet to get in touch with the medical school. On results day I also believe that they didn't follow the rules and regulations. The point of this post really is to find out, how many appeals actually end up being successful and in my case could they offer me an interview and then make a decision or is the unsuccessful on track the end of the line? Does anyone have any experiences of appeals or do the med schools cover their backs well?
    Probs a waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    Probs a waste of time.
    I agree. Imagine how longggg it would take for the admission process to get done if everyone who was rejected appealed......I suggest asking for feedback and tbh you can't expect to get the same response you got last year as the competitions changed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sd91)
    OP ignore the post above. What about all those people who get in for deferred entries - are they weaker than the new cohort? I would go ahead with the appeal, after all you've got nothing to loose. under some access schemes like the one at sheffield aren;t they meant to give you detailed feedback as to why you did not get in - not the generic response.
    The OP isn't applying for deferred entry and hasn't been considered for this by the medical school in question.
    What exactly do you think she will achieve by pursuing this course of action?
    A more detailed rejection is still a rejection.
    Think about the things you say when instructing others.

ReputationRep:
    if you werent able to get just a few marks, why should they give ou a place, macca?

ReputationRep:
    Waste of time and money in my opinion. Just accept it, they obviously rejected you for a reason.

You can't compare last year to this year anyway, their different cycles so its pointless

ReputationRep:
    Yes you would have been a doctor, however you were made an offer based on the idea that you would get AAB in an envelope of two years, you failed. Furthermore I believe everyone applying in a certain year should be treated equally, so you should not be given an easy ride becaus you had an offer. However this does shows that the system is flawed and definitely does not pick the right or the best candidate assuming the interviewer had no idea you could not manage your grades in two years.

ReputationRep:
    neither does picking candidates who can get the marks AAA ensure that the best future doctors.

nor does picking candidates who are adequately comfortably off to sit A lvls select the right candidates to be doctors, though.

ReputationRep:
    Its a waste of time and that coming from someone who has tried i technically have the grades for medicine but as my maths is over 3 years so they are havinng none of it. Move on be that another degree then GEM, a different access course, or just a totally different career. Appealing to the medical school isnt going to work the compertition this year was better than last year and unless you have mitigation then come on you dont look like the strongest candidate having resat alevel

ReputationRep:
    I bet myself one jam doughnut an appeal gets told to jog on very quickly.

I would ask for feedback, and then reapply next year, or move on and do something else.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone knows that just because you get an offer/interview one yeat does not mean you will get it again the next year! You are competing against different people, maybe that year more people got AAA etc or the uni got more applications. I applied for imperial in y13 and got an offer and when I asked if I reapplied again next year would I be disadvantaged they said no, but that did not necessarily mean I would be made an offer again because the circumstances would be different.

Also when you originally applied you hadn't failed the exam yet, when you reapplied the fact you did not pass first time would have disadvantaged you. Some med schools dont even accept retakes at all anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    Its a waste of time and that coming from someone who has tried i technically have the grades for medicine but as my maths is over 3 years so they are havinng none of it. Move on be that another degree then GEM, a different access course, or just a totally different career. Appealing to the medical school isnt going to work the compertition this year was better than last year and unless you have mitigation then come on you dont look like the strongest candidate having resat alevel
    i have extenuating circumstances as to why i missed my grades. the medical school did tell me that they would consider me as a first time applicant and resitting would not be detrimental to my application but obviously it has had an effect so i do feel upset that they had said that but the real issue i have with the med school is that they have gone against the standard procedures for applicants who go through this access scheme. the outreach department themselves are confused as to why i was not offered an interview which is why i want to appeal. if they are found out to have not followed the correct procedures would my application be looked at again? could it be possible for me to have an interview or is it more likely that they will keep totheir initial decision?

ReputationRep:
    i have extenuating circumstances as to why i missed my grades. the medical school did tell me that they would consider me as a first time applicant and resitting would not be detrimental to my application but obviously it has had an effect so i do feel upset that they had said that but the real issue i have with the med school is that they have gone against the standard procedures for applicants who go through this access scheme. the outreach department themselves are confused as to why i was not offered an interview which is why i want to appeal. if they are found out to have not followed the correct procedures would my application be looked at again? could it be possible for me to have an interview or is it more likely that they will keep totheir initial decision?
    I know that most med schools don't like it when people retake after Yr 13. But if they have actually gone against the procedure then I think you should appeal. What have you got to lose? You've already been rejected.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously? You got rejected, nothing obviously about this.

Frankly it sounds like you expected to get an offer straight away by reapplying with extenuating circumstances.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.