The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

elsa10
i have extenuating circumstances as to why i missed my grades. the medical school did tell me that they would consider me as a first time applicant and resitting would not be detrimental to my application but obviously it has had an effect so i do feel upset that they had said that but the real issue i have with the med school is that they have gone against the standard procedures for applicants who go through this access scheme. the outreach department themselves are confused as to why i was not offered an interview which is why i want to appeal. if they are found out to have not followed the correct procedures would my application be looked at again? could it be possible for me to have an interview or is it more likely that they will keep totheir initial decision?

digitalis
Obviously? You got rejected, nothing obviously about this.

Frankly it sounds like you expected to get an offer straight away by reapplying with extenuating circumstances.

Op exactly what he said you didnt get an offer move on yes you maybe should have got an interview but what use is that interview if all they are going to do is interview you then offer you a rejection. Is this Newcastle partners by anychance
Reply 21
If you argue they will just state there was more better suited candidates this year than last. You cannot prove them wrong, so there is nothing to dispute.
med schools expect stable students who can pass exams consistantly. you are not one of thoes students. yes you only missed by a few marks but you still missed. there are hundreds of applicants who didnt/wont miss their grades. they are more stable academically and so more desirable.

i think for your own sake you need to accept that you were not good enough. there are other roots into medicine and other schools.

why exactally do you think you should be interviewed if there were better applicants? is there something we are missing?
Reply 23
extenuating circumstances
Gizmo!

Arent the beall and endalll.
Gizmo!

well thats not a reason to be interviewed. 'extentuating circumstanses' will ensure the school look at your application fairly, under the circumstanses, but that is it. if after looking you were one of the weaker applicants, compared to everyone ese that year, then no you will not be interviewed.

OP, i know you feel cheated out of your place, but you need to accept that this is the hardest course in the country to get on to and not everyone is able to straight in from school some need to work harder for longer(eg GEM) but that is just life. just becase you worked hard for the grades you did get it does not mean that you will get evey thing you want.

if you really wanna go to the school find out where your application lacked and try again next year.
Reply 26
well true enough, betty. its what she finks is the reason, if you get me.
Reply 27
TBH they've already rejected you, by appealing what exactly are you losing, they're not going to reject you again. So yeah I'd do it :dontknow:
Reply 28
maybe she means try using sexy appeal, macca?
To be honest, I wouldn't bother.
Reply 30
oh cheers, macca. :frown: i 'ave no sexy appeal then??
ballerinabetty
med schools expect stable students who can pass exams consistantly. you are not one of thoes students.

Pot.Kettle.Black?
Single Malt
Pot.Kettle.Black?

irrelevant, have never applied to medschool as a school leaver or resat any exams.
elsa10
i have extenuating circumstances as to why i missed my grades. the medical school did tell me that they would consider me as a first time applicant and resitting would not be detrimental to my application but obviously it has had an effect so i do feel upset that they had said that but the real issue i have with the med school is that they have gone against the standard procedures for applicants who go through this access scheme. the outreach department themselves are confused as to why i was not offered an interview which is why i want to appeal. if they are found out to have not followed the correct procedures would my application be looked at again? could it be possible for me to have an interview or is it more likely that they will keep totheir initial decision?

And you think this interview will go well enough for them to offer you a place? :p:
ballerinabetty
irrelevant, have never applied to medschool as a school leaver or resat any exams.

from your academic history it seems you could not manage 3 A's at A level, so what makes it any different? Should you not be allowed to apply for medicine because you could not hit the grades?

p.s. it is really annoying me that I can only neg rep you once every month.
Reply 35
[QUOTE=ballerinabetty]well thats not a reason to be interviewed. 'extentuating circumstanses' will ensure the school look at your application fairly, under the circumstanses, but that is it. if after looking you were one of the weaker applicants, compared to everyone ese that year, then no you will not be interviewed.

OP, i know you feel cheated out of your place, but you need to accept that this is the hardest course in the country to get on to and not everyone is able to straight in from school some need to work harder for longer(eg GEM) but that is just life. just becase you worked hard for the grades you did get it does not mean that you will get evey thing you want.

if you really wanna go to the school find out where your application lacked and try again next year.

i think this comment is uncalled for. none of us have any idea about the extenuating circs - i mean come on they must have been severe to be allowed to reapply with resits so i dont think any of us can really comment fairly because we dont know the info. at some places e.g cardiff if extenuating circs affected you app and you miss the grades they have been known to defer the offer. ive heard of this also happening at sheffield, barts, kings, peninsula, keele, leeds, uea and newcastle. at some unis they do actually guarantee an interview for people in this position (cf offer year before etc.) and given that the OP had an offer last year, i think they are well aware it is competitive.

personally i think it is a really horrible situation to be in. sometimes unis make mistakes and at the end of the day if you still want medicine you will get in again - it'll just take a but longer. like i said you have nothing to lose. although i think it is likely nothing will come out of it. have you thought about GEM/other careers/degrees etc.
So sorry but I dont think an appeal will change anything.

I would however ask for feedback and negatives so you could rectify them.
Reply 37
when you are in next year of course none of this will seem important in the slightest.

Latest

Trending

Trending