Turn on thread page Beta

Premium unleaded or Regular for motorcycle? watch

• View Poll Results: Premium or Regular?
    Premium
    22.22%
    Regular
    77.78%

ReputationRep:
    Hi.
    What if I use Premium unleaded fuel instead of regular unleaded for your vehicle?
    I have Vauxhall Corsa 0.9, and Honda CB500.
    Perhaps I should use premium on my motorcycle cuz it runs up to high rev..

ReputationRep:
    from what i understand, it changes how far up the cylinder the bang happens, so on some engines it will make no diffrence. if you try primum, if it makes a diffrnecne the keep using it, if you dont notice a diffrence, then you may aswell stop.
    bikes reving highere wont really make a diffrence.
    personally i use regular, but im finding it hard to get the money for each tank

ReputationRep:
    Without a knock sensor it won't make much difference - apart from the extra cleaning additives usually found it preimum unleadead, v-power etc. On a realtively low tuned bike with with carbs it won't make much difference.

Some bikes and cars can take advantage of higher octance fuel, but I don't think you will notice much differnce in your vehicles.

ReputationRep:
    With some bikes (my dads mates ninja) he notices a big difference so only uses premium, on my sv it doesnt notice, but the bandit does run better with premium than normal, but i think thats as its old and tempermental.

ReputationRep:
    as has been said if a vehicle has either

a. a knock sensor and a clever ECU that can take advantage of the high RON
    b. sufficiently steam age fuelling for you to do it yourself

then premium may be of benefit otherwise it;s just cash down the hole

ReputationRep:
    Meh, if you run on carbs (the bike!), you probably will notice a difference, particularly on the bike. But it also cleans out the engine so I would recommend using it on your CB500, the Corsa it will make no difference.

Try it in the bike.

ReputationRep:
    Don't use it in the car, it'll be pointless.

Even if you run your bike up to high revs, modern petrols (even regulars) have quite high octane numbers and combined with anti-knock engine shut-off systems the premium could easily be money down the drain.

Try it and see if it makes a difference to the performance of your Honda engine. If not, don't waste money on it again and go regular like the rest of us cheapskates! :p:

manufacturer and my tuner recommends regular so thats what its ran on

ReputationRep:
    Regular, but a tank of premium or a tank with redex every once in a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    Regular, but a tank of premium or a tank with redex every once in a while.
    This, though I make sure the premium is V-power.

ReputationRep:
    to my suprise, i used to get at least an extra 30 miles a tank from an RS125 on premium...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaw)
    to my suprise, i used to get at least an extra 30 miles a tank from an RS125 on premium...
    its quite normal for premium fuel to increase the tank range. the 'improved throttle response' most being talk about is alot less noticeable on a bike as they already have more than enough omph, and a few more bhp isnt going to make a difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyjoyce)
    its quite normal for premium fuel to increase the tank range. the 'improved throttle response' most being talk about is alot less noticeable on a bike as they already have more than enough omph, and a few more bhp isnt going to make a difference.
    thats true however on a two stroke it definately had more low end grunt and pickup, which, on a 2T is usually relatively absent until higher in the revs.. made it ever so slightly more 'relaxed' to ride around town

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 20, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.