Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Latest quality of life index has been published, showing where "the best" countries to live are. Top 10 are as follows:

1. France
    2. Australia
    3. Switzerland
    4. Germany
    5. New Zealand
    6. Luxembourg
    7. US
    8. Belgium
    9. Canada
    10. Italy

The UK ranks 24th on the list., with the cost of living being the main downfall (any surprises at that?) with only Russia, Libya, Bahamas, Ireland, Bermuda, Japan and Sweden with a higher cost of living.

http://www1.internationalliving.com/qofl2010/

The following just gives a bit of a type up on it:

http://www.internationalliving.com/I...y-of-life-2010

Any of the top 10 appeal to anyone in terms of emigration? Perhaps you have just begun the process of emigration?

ReputationRep:
    Canada and NZ appeal to me as emigration destinations, but The Netherlands is where I want to be at!

ReputationRep:
    WHAT THE BANNANA!!!! Sweden used to be awesome at these things.. almost always in top 10.. man this has annoyed me... but why have we got cost of living as "0"? Mistake??

Man this sucks..

ReputationRep:
    Woo I love looking at the quality of life index :woo: gives me a great idea of potential places to move to :yep:
    Glad to see Switzerland right up there, keeping strong. Love switzerland :love:

ReputationRep:
    Seems a reasonable list, though I don't know if I agree with every position...

I'd like Luxembourg, seems a great place

ReputationRep:
    Urggghhh France! Haha, I'd love to go and live in Australia/New Zealand, but I'll probably end up in Spain/Russia if anywhere!

ReputationRep:
    I'd consider Switzerland as it's a socially conservative place for emigration. UK being so low doesn't surprise me - it's full of people that think more expensive houses are a cause for celebration and somehow constitutes economic growth. Only a land of real morons would think a decrease in disposable income is desirable - the only "positive" point is it represents a transfer of wealth to the older generations who already have larger disposable incomes from younger ones - again absurd and banal. UK deserves its place but I don't know why the US is listed in the top10 emigration destinations - it's easy to name 10 European states that are more desirable to live in (4 in Scandinavia alone). Perhaps reflects a bias to an older generation that was subjected to cold war lies about the "American dream".

France doesn't deserve to be so high - seems to be a very jaded perspective of life in France - what about the massive social tensions from immigration?

Norway should be top

Lithuania above the UK - they can't be serious?

ReputationRep:
    I always thought Norway topped the list ? or was that standard of living? sound pretty similar...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crimsonchilli)
    I always thought Norway topped the list ? or was that standard of living? sound pretty similar...
    I think you mean HDI, which i actually a better measure:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...elopment_Index

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)

France doesn't deserve to be so high - seems to be a very jaded perspective of life in France - what about the massive social tensions from immigration?

Norway should be top

Our sources, staff, and contributing editors are all influenced by a Western bias. We have definite, preconceived ideas about what constitutes a high or low standard of living, what constitutes culture and entertainment, and what climate is the most enjoyable.

Please also remember that statistics obtained from official government sources are not always current, accurate, or reliable. And some statistics are highly subjective. What someone else might consider a museum, you and I might think of as a garden shed. Other statistics may be estimated, outdated, or incorrect for any number of reasons.

Since the statistics we gathered don’t always reflect our own experiences, we sometimes interject a subjective factor to make the numbers better reflect reality. This is most often necessary in the "Leisure and Culture" category.
    As for Lithuania, the only difference is the cost of living index with UK on 30 and Lithuania on 63!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    I'd consider Switzerland as it's a socially conservative place for emigration. UK being so low doesn't surprise me - it's full of people that think more expensive houses are a cause for celebration and somehow constitutes economic growth. Only a land of real morons would think a decrease in disposable income is desirable - the only "positive" point is it represents a transfer of wealth to the older generations who already have larger disposable incomes from younger ones - again absurd and banal. UK deserves its place but I don't know why the US is listed in the top10 emigration destinations - it's easy to name 10 European states that are more desirable to live in (4 in Scandinavia alone). Perhaps reflects a bias to an older generation that was subjected to cold war lies about the "American dream".

Norway should be top

RyanT it makes perfect sense the United States is #7... They have huge disposable income, it's much cheaper to live, more living space, etc.

I've lived in both countries and the quality of life is higher in the United States as whole... Don't get me wrong i'd rather live in the UK than say Omaha, Nebraska to be fair!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)

In Paris, those problems tend to be confined to distant suburbs - minimising the spillover to those fortunate enough not to be in the ghettos. In the UK we have a prevalence of social problems/run down areas in the dense inner city parts, as well as suburbs, which impacts over a wider range of people.

ReputationRep:
    I've lived in France and it doesn't deserve so high of a rank. ˇˇ And America before Canada? Ha. Ha. Ha. I bet they got all their points from "climate".

ReputationRep:
    lol, at least we edge out them damn Argentinians!!

ReputationRep:
    I currently live in France but rank 1, really?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it was either Norway or Denmark the countrys best to live in?
    In terms of happiness and stuff...

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to go to New Zealand.
    Also Italy would be tempting if I spoke Italian.

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picture-Perfect)
    Also Italy would be tempting if I spoke Italian.
    Good point :yep:, language and similarity of culture are important as well if you are looking at moving.

The other thing is that quality of life is a very broad look at a range of issue. Being a well paid professional may make other countries more appealing based on the fact that the quality of life for the wealthy is so high but rubbish for the poor (my travels in the U.S. confirm this to be the case to an extent there, it sucks to be poor and American).

ReputationRep:
    France being number 1 has got to be a laugh. With all riots and tensions involving immigrants, banning of religious symbols and racism how on earth can this pathetic be number 1???

I'm surprised the UK wasn't lower, what with the recession, rise in racism and crime.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.