Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey guys...

I have an interview coming up and I have progressively been getting more and more nervous.

I got to a point now that i can't even concentrate at home.... help...

(Original post by vutterman)
    hey guys...

I have an interview coming up and I have progressively been getting more and more nervous.

Where's the interview at?

What specifically is making you nervous, i.e. what do you think about when you're imagining the interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fortysixandtwo)
    Where's the interview at?

What specifically is making you nervous, i.e. what do you think about when you're imagining the interview?
    the whole idea of... "what if I fail again this year?" "I must be the most useless person in the world if i fail again..."

when I imagine the interview I feel almost sick sometimes.... not joking

ReputationRep:
    Isn't your interview at Barts? If it is, and I've remember correctly, seriously don't sweat. Within 2 minutes of your interview you'll have relaxed. They are genuinly nice people. The guys basically told me at the end of my interview I'd get an offer too. Was a nice day.

(Original post by SuicidalLemming)
    :hugs: I know exactly how you feel, my worries about my interview got so bad that I went to the doctor and he gave me diazepam to take so that I didn't have a panic attack/throw up :o: . If it is getting steadily worse then i do reccommend seeing your GP.
    I wouldn't go as far as to suggest this! :p:

Personally, I always find that having a good perspective on life helps me with situations like this. At the end of the day nerves are a good thing - they are a sign that you care! Remind yourself that it's quite okay to be nervous and still perform well.

the whole idea of... "what if I fail again this year?" "I must be the most useless person in the world if i fail again..."
    These are probably the things you should work on. Because getting into medical school won't stop the nerves and just think of all the future interviews you'll have attend for training posts, etc. Not to mention the day to day stresses of the job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fortysixandtwo)
    I wouldn't go as far as to suggest this! :p:

Personally, I always find that having a good perspective on life helps me with situations like this. At the end of the day nerves are a good thing - they are a sign that you care! Remind yourself that it's quite okay to be nervous and still perform well.

These are probably the things you should work on. Because getting into medical school won't stop the nerves and just think of all the future interviews you'll have attend for training posts, etc. Not to mention the day to day stresses of the job.
    only thing is that I have failed for the last 2 years so 8 rejections to count them all.

ReputationRep:
    Ride out the nerves - use them to get you that nervous energy so you can do more work for the interview!

I was like a big of nerves on the train up, but when i had the tour before the interview i realised that this was where i wanted to be and so calmed down (just a little bit) bit but was still nervous. But then as soon as you start the interview nerves seem (for me) to just go out the window as you are focusing on saying the best answers you can!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    only thing is that I have failed for the last 2 years so 8 rejections to count them all.
    have you had interviews with med schools before?
    do you know why you were rejected the last times?

ReputationRep:
    hey guys...

mate...dont think too much about the interview....chill relax...

ReputationRep:
    ahhhh, do not worri, macca. remember, you are only ffteen minutes from a place at med school. really not so bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballerinabetty)
    have you had interviews with med schools before?
    do you know why you were rejected the last times?
    yes I know exactly what i did wrong

I didn't convey clearly and correctly what the medicine entails as a profession.

I did not show a good communication

I couldn't explain well enough regarding an example of myself working in a team.

i'm more than ready to do well in those questions but I'm just scared I might do bad in other thousands of possible questions.

ReputationRep:
    yes I know exactly what i did wrong

I didn't convey clearly and correctly what the medicine entails as a profession.

I did not show a good communication

I couldn't explain well enough regarding an example of myself working in a team.

i'm more than ready to do well in those questions but I'm just scared I might do bad in other thousands of possible questions.
    how about hiring a private drama teacher to put you under presure and really test your nerves with puplic speaking.
    you can do this you just do not have real belief in yourself.

also talk to your gp (or a doctor friend if you have one) about it, they may beable to give you some good tips about what is expected of a medical student.

you need to believe that you are gonna be a doctor, not just hope you will be one.

also in the interview(s) speak slowly and breath calmly so that you give your brain time to think about the answer.

also you could also ask for some lorazopam (from gp)and take it on interview day. that will chill you out enough to think about your answers.

i dont know if i have just been unhelpful but i really hope this is the time you get an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ballerinabetty)
    how about hiring a private drama teacher to put you under presure and really test your nerves with puplic speaking.
    you can do this you just do not have real belief in yourself.

also talk to your gp (or a doctor friend if you have one) about it, they may beable to give you some good tips about what is expected of a medical student.

you need to believe that you are gonna be a doctor, not just hope you will be one.

also in the interview(s) speak slowly and breath calmly so that you give your brain time to think about the answer.

also you could also ask for some lorazopam (from gp)and take it on interview day. that will chill you out enough to think about your answers.

i dont know if i have just been unhelpful but i really hope this is the time you get an offer.
    You have been very helpful and thanx to other people on this thread.

I think I'm just going to push forward by myself. I believe I have what it takes to be a doctor... I should do this by myself!

thanks for the emotional/mental supports guys!

ReputationRep:

I think I'm just going to push forward by myself. I believe I have what it takes to be a doctor... I should do this by myself!
    there is no shame in asking others for help.
    best of luck

ReputationRep:

well said, macca. ahhh.

now go an eat those chapattis your mum cooked for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)
    well said, macca. ahhh.

now go an eat those chapattis your mum cooked for you.
    what's chapattis, macca?

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: I know exactly how you feel, my worries about my interview got so bad that I went to the doctor and he gave me diazepam to take so that I didn't have a panic attack/throw up :o: . If it is getting steadily worse then i do reccommend seeing your GP.
    are you being serious? How are you going to cope when snoed under at medical school...or when your first patient dies?!?!

ReputationRep:
    you wont be snowed under at medskool if you work steadily.

you wont be snowed under even if you leave fings or 'alf the semester.

medschool isnt difficult. is a lengthy transition from boy to young man.

ReputationRep:
    what's chapattis, macca?

well shaddap and eat your fish fingers, macca.

Yo mama!

ReputationRep:
    Err okay, you know nothing about my life so can't comment. I'd been out of hospital for about a week when I had my interview, and life was scaring the **** out of me. I've been fine for my other interviews :indiff:

again i repeat the question....

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.