Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Im reading History at the university of York, which I thought was good as York is supposed to be a top UK uni, but why is it that I keep hearing that law girms in the magic circle and silver circle dont really like graduates from York ? I was wondering if any of you knew how York is seen by the law firms, and if it was likely id be able to get vacation schemes during my studies.

I want to work in a top set, which i have also been told is unlikely due to oxbridge dominance. If I was able to get a high end degree and then do a postgrad at oxbridge, (ie. an MA in History) and then did the GDL+LPC, would i stand an equal chance of entering a top firm as someone who did their undergraduate at oxbridge ? I considered doing senior status, but after hearing the price (which is around £40,000 for 2 years) I dont think I can really afford it, but I could probably afford a masters degree after I finish my undergraduate.

So basically what id like to know is :

1) Are graduates from York well liked by the top firms like allen and overy and clifford chance ?

2) Is i worth me trying to get a masters degree from oxbridge before I take the GDL + LPC (which could be externally funded by a firm)

3) What are the chances of York grads getting vacation schemes, in comparison to other top unis like bristol, warwick and UCL ?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    1) Are graduates from York well liked by the top firms like allen and overy and clifford chance ?

2) Is i worth me trying to get a masters degree from oxbridge before I take the GDL + LPC (which could be externally funded by a firm)

3) What are the chances of York grads getting vacation schemes, in comparison to other top unis like bristol, warwick and UCL ?
    1) 4 out of the 5 magic circle firms attend the law/graduate recruitment fairs and put on specific events. The same is true of many other city firms. The US firms are thinner on the ground - a function of their lower recruitment targets and York having only recently set up a law department. I have a Magic Circle training contract and am a York graduate (and I am not the only one). But attending a decent uni and having good A grades (as I presume you have if you are reading history) may help you get past the first cut but it is not sufficient. Work experience, extra curriculars, well researched/written applications, and interview performance are also necessary.

2) An Oxbridge masters is I think unlikely to improve your chances of landing a training contract with a top solicitors' firm that much. Firms know that a decent degree and the ability to pay are the passport to most masters. They still recruit c.50%| of their intake from Oxbridge graduates because they meet all of the criteria outlined under 1) and are possibly more likely to apply. Getting through the Oxbridge undergrad admissions process is also I think a fair signal of potential.

3) Equally good (or hard) depending on the above. They are all somewhat larger than York, so I think you may find somewhat more of their graduates in firms.

A degree from York won't get you a training contract but it won't hurt.

One question. Why does your profile say you are applying for Law 2009 at Exeter, Bristol, Southampton, KCL and QMU?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, thanks for the quick reply.

Thats great. I was worried that hardly any big law firms would show up... but its good if they do. I have a lot of work experience and am doing more during my gap year which is now. I know my OP was misleading, but i thought that i'd get better answers if i said i was already in york. Last time i posted a thread like this and said i was on a gap year, people told me not to think about it until my second year.

I actually applied for law in 2009, and got a conditional from kings college. I do IB and they set my offer to 38 points, which i didnt get. I resat my exams but the uni wouldnt take me for law, hence I applied for History instead, with the plan on doing a conversion course or senior status degree. Unfortunately I probably wont be able to afford senior status, hence why I wanted to be able to get onto a big firm after the GDL/LPC, rather than still be searching for jobs, or becoming a teacher like my chemistry teacher who went to York ended up doing.

Just on your last bit, do you mean that a degree from York on its own wont get me a TC ? Just to clarify , though this is indeed understandable, just like it would be from Bristol, Warwick or Nottingham.

ReputationRep:
    Just on your last bit, do you mean that a degree from York on its own wont get me a TC ?
    Yes
    I know my OP was misleading, but i thought that i'd get better answers if i said i was already in york.
    Not a great start for someone who wants to join a profession based on personal integrity. Untruths will find you out.

ReputationRep:
    The reason why you keep hearing that law firms in the magic/silver circle don't really like graduates from York is because York is not particularly well-known for its law courses.

As a history student, your situation is rather different.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.