Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Last year I had an offer for medicine after having an interview but missed my grades and was rejected. I then reapplied to them (after resitting the problem module last week) and they rejected me without interview despite telling me it was fine to apply and my application would not be disadvanted due to resitting. I applied via an access scheme and I think that the university have not followed their rules and regulations by rejecting me without interviewing me. The access department told me that the medical school should have interviewed but I have yet to get in touch with the medical school. On results day I also believe that they didn't follow the rules and regulations. The point of this post really is to find out, how many appeals actually end up being successful and in my case could they offer me an interview and then make a decision or is the unsuccessful on track the end of the line? i got the rejection letter today where it just gave a generic response - too many candidates, significant increase in applications etc. what confuses me most is that last year i managed to beat the competition and get so far in the process to the point where it was a few measly marks that let me down. i think this competition reason is pathetic given i had an offer last year - how much can their requirements change in 6months? Does anyone have any experiences of appeals or do the med schools cover their backs well?

ReputationRep:
    maybe somebody else was better than you?

ReputationRep:
    They always have the right to reject you, so I'm guessing appeals don't help much.
    Just wondering, did you make your insurance grade last year? Because I've heard it's frowned upon for medecine if you re-apply simply because you want to go to this particular university.
    Otherwise, I wouldn't know. Maybe just luck, there's a lot of that involved in the process.

ReputationRep:
    No i did not have an insurance choice. I just feel that i need to put an appeal in to ease my mind really and put it all at rest. i just don't know, even with a case against the uni is it likely that they will just disregard the appeal or actually take some notice of it?

ReputationRep:
    make sure you know what grounds it is possible to appeal under, and that you meet them. There reason is perfectly valid. Applications are up. Standards will be higher this year,etc.

ReputationRep:
    You'll need to check the exact wording of the access scheme information before you make any form of complaint. At the moment you won't get very far by saying "I think you might have broken the rules" if they then turn around and tell you they were within their rights to do so.

Remember that as a resit candidate you will be treated differently to "new" applicants. Yes, they gave you an offer last year but this year is totally different as you're up against different people and due to the fact you are a resit candidate you will perhaps be required to have higher grades etc. Additionally, they will be looking into what you're doing with your time this year and how this relates to a medicine application.

Find out the actual hard truths about this access scheme and what you are entitled to - ensure that as an applicant for the second time you are still eligible for the same guarentees as the first year you applied. Then if you still think you've got grounds to appeal the rejection contact the medical school and follow it up with them, but as I said, before you do this you need to ensure you've got all of your facts right. If it turns out they have followed the rules then that is life and they're free to give offers to whoever they want - just because you were right one year it doesn't mean you will always be right.

ReputationRep:
    University competition has increased this year, apparently. I've got no idea how appeals and whatever work, though.

ReputationRep:
    There were obviously better applicants this year and you didn't make the cut. It sucks, but I can't see what you'd be appealing against, and also I doubt it would make any difference to their decision.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt you have grounds for appeal. Universities aren't required to justify their decisions at all. Also competetion has increased since last year, considerable numbers of people didn't get in to uni last year and they will be applying this year as well, as well as generally increasing numbers of people wanting to go to university. And in my opinion your application has weakened considering you have had to retake a module, spreading your A level over 3 years. Rejections are bound to be upsetting, but I'm afraid theres not much you can do about them, good luck with the rest of your app.

ReputationRep:
    Out of curiousity, does anyone know how many more applicants there are this year than last? I was rejected by 3 unis yesterday, not complaining but I wasn't totally expecting it.

But yeah op, just get over it and go somewhere else like everyone else who gets rejected has to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam o0o)
    Out of curiousity, does anyone know how many more applicants there are this year than last? I was rejected by 3 unis yesterday, not complaining but I wasn't totally expecting it.

But yeah op, just get over it and go somewhere else like everyone else who gets rejected has to.
    up 38% in some places. See BBC article here
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8456852.stm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    up 38% in some places. See BBC article here
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8456852.stm
    Woah, thanks.
    And thank goodness I have a definite place!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.