Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would you do if you were UK Chancellor? watch

ReputationRep:

I'd devote half of "other" to debt interest, and divert most industry subsidies to education and defence. I would make people earning over £17k pay £100-250 a year fees for their kids to go to state schools, introduce some relatively small but consistent fees(£10-150) for most NHS patients, and cut mid-rate income tax by 5% after debt has been halved. Also, the tax-free allowance would go up to £10k. All bands of council tax would be raised by £100.

Also, half savings and pensions taxes. Very limited means-testing for benefits, pensions, and nursing homes - You would have to have £200k shares, savings, or income after tax to not be eligible.

I'm sure most people on here could do marginally better than Gordon Clown. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Emigrate?

ReputationRep:
    No money for spongers for a start !

ReputationRep:
    Default on the debt, raise VAT to 20%, freeze tax thresholds and scrap local councils.

ReputationRep:
    Cut spending on defence to 0 then pay off debt interest. with the extra 2% slowly but surely pay off the debt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)

I'd devote half of "other" to debt interest, and divert most industry subsidies to education and defence. I would make people earning over £17k pay £100-250 a year fees for their kids to go to state schools, introduce some relatively small but consistent fees(£10-150) for most NHS patients, and cut mid-rate income tax by 5% after debt has been halved. Also, the tax-free allowance would go up to £10k. All bands of council tax would be raised by £100.

I'm sure most people on here could do marginally better than Gordon Clown. :laugh:
    Do you know what is actually included in 'other' though? cos if you don't you can hardly advocate simply scrapping half the amount..

Personally I think withdrawing troops from Afghanistan and scrapping Trident would be a good start

(Original post by Quady)
    Default on the debt, raise VAT to 20%, freeze tax thresholds and scrap local councils
    Er I don't think you've thought that one through, have you...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Default on the debt, raise VAT to 20%, freeze tax thresholds and scrap local councils.
    what, why!?!? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Finbar21)
    Cut spending on defence to 0 then pay off debt interest. with the extra 2% slowly but surely pay off the debt.
    Lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neville 'Facking' Bartos)
    what, why!?!? :lolwut:
    I would have thought thats pretty obvious...

Reduces debt interest to zero.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stardog32)
    Er I don't think you've thought that one through, have you...

Yes I have, why have 400 units doing a job that the centre could be doing more efficiently? They cost a vast amount for the service they give.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    I would have thought thats pretty obvious...

Reduces debt interest to zero.
    What and join the status of other tin pot economies like Argentina? Don't be so ridiculous...

ReputationRep:
    What and join the status of other tin pot economies like Argentina? Don't be so ridiculous...
    Sorry why is it ridiculous? Russia did pretty well after the default of the mid 90's.

We're fooked when interest rates go back to to 10%+ so we might as well default early and balance the budget/go into a surplus as soon as.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Finbar21)
    Cut spending on defence to 0.
    I'm not going to comment until I hear some justification to your comment, please, why do you think this is a good idea?

ReputationRep:
    Claim £90k for a maserati granturismo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Sorry why is it ridiculous? Russia did pretty well after the default of the mid 90's.

We're fooked when interest rates go back to to 10%+ so we might as well default early and balance the budget/go into a surplus as soon as.
    Difference is - if you comparing with Russia - is that we are much more dependant on the financial services industry than Russia was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Citation)
    I'm not going to comment until I hear some justification to your comment, please, why do you think this is a good idea?
    How about because nobody is going to invade this place? We are an island which makes it difficult even if they wanted to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Yes I have, why have 400 units doing a job that the centre could be doing more efficiently? They cost a vast amount for the service they give.
    Because, you need local people making decisions who actually care about the local area. Who have links with the community, local business, planners etc. Otherwise you have clumsy arbitrary decisions being made all over the place by central government, it would be a total mess. (As in my home town, Bordon, which the government is making into a gigantic eco-town for political reasons despite the fact residents haven't been consulted and most are against the plans, it will destroy the community that's already there)

We already live in the most centralised country in Europe. You need people who understand local communities, who are accountable to the people for democracy to function properly. Local councils should be given much more power, imo, the only possible good thing about an incoming tory government is they have said they would make that happen.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly I will put in a claim for my £1500 duck house...

ReputationRep:
    Difference is - if you comparing with Russia - is that we are much more dependant on the financial services industry than Russia was.
    You're right, and if we gave some good tips to the nationalised industry then they could make a mint shorting the pound.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    You're right, and if we gave some good tips to the nationalised industry then they could make a mint shorting the pound.
    They really know how to make them in the snivel service...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.