Turn on thread page Beta

What would you do if you were UK Chancellor? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stardog32)
    Because, you need local people making decisions who actually care about the local area. Who have links with the community, local business, planners etc. Otherwise you have clumsy arbitrary decisions being made all over the place by central government, it would be a total mess. (As in my home town, Bordon, which the government is making into a gigantic eco-town for political reasons despite the fact residents haven't been consulted and most are against the plans, it will destroy the community that's already there)

We already live in the most centralised country in Europe. You need people who understand local communities, who are accountable to the people for democracy to function properly. Local councils should be given much more power, imo, the only possible good thing about an incoming tory government is they have said they would make that happen.
    No, we just have local people make dumb local decisions. Planning permission is a prime example, nobodys allowed house building to the scale needed as it would reduce their house value. Result, people paying hundreds of thousands for converted Victorian warehouses. Services don't work across LA boundaries and the admin burden is huge. To me, it would help with the 13% GDP budget deficit. Service quality may in some areas suffer, but we can't afford the current level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neville 'Facking' Bartos)
    They really know how to make them in the snivel service...
    Yada-yada-yada so you'd rather a version of me that didn't call for decreasing the service by 150k?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    No, we just have local people make dumb local decisions. Planning permission is a prime example, nobodys allowed house building to the scale needed as it would reduce their house value. Result, people paying hundreds of thousands for converted Victorian warehouses. Services don't work across LA boundaries and the admin burden is huge. To me, it would help with the 13% GDP budget deficit. Service quality may in some areas suffer, but we can't afford the current level.
    You're being ridiculous tbh, scrapping local authorities would be a disaster.

Someone has to be accountable for all this:

waste management, education, libraries, social services, transport, strategic planning, consumer protection, housing, waste collection, council tax collection, local planning, licensing, cemeteries and crematoria

People have different needs in different areas. You couldn't just have central govt running it all.

ReputationRep:
    Leave the EU and join EFTA.

Cuts in the NHS.

Huge investment in oil drilling of the Falkland islands.

Replace benefits with a national income guarantee scheme.

Stop investing in nuclear technology.

Flat tax.

ReputationRep:
    You're being ridiculous tbh, scrapping local authorities would be a disaster.

Someone has to be accountable for all this:

waste management, education, libraries, social services, transport, strategic planning, consumer protection, housing, waste collection, council tax collection, local planning, licensing, cemeteries and crematoria
    Yes, the Government in power should be accountable. Wouldn't that make sense? Possibly you could argue the MP for the constituency should be.

By your reckoning:
    Education
    Social Services
    Transport

Should be the responsibility of the council, not the government? So if a parent isn't happy with how their kid has been educated they shouldn't hold that against the government?

I love how someone has to be accountable for 'council tax collection', yeah that's not needed if you don't have councils, a perfect example of waste. PAYE works really well, but the cost of collecting council tax across 400 authorities is horribly labour intensive, when its completely unneeded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tucker672)
    Stop investing in nuclear technology.
    where does our power come from in 40 years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Yes, the Government in power should be accountable. Wouldn't that make sense? Possibly you could argue the MP for the constituency should be.

By your reckoning:
    Education
    Social Services
    Transport

Should be the responsibility of the council, not the government? So if a parent isn't happy with how their kid has been educated they shouldn't hold that against the government?

I love how someone has to be accountable for 'council tax collection', yeah that's not needed if you don't have councils, a perfect example of waste. PAYE works really well, but the cost of collecting council tax across 400 authorities is horribly labour intensive, when its completely unneeded.
    Those areas I mentioned are already dealt with by local councils, and it works well for the most part. Councils deal with the small things which are specific to the community (e.g. where to put cycle paths) it's specific to the area so you need people running these things locally, who understand the area and are responsive to what people want.

MP represents people's interests to national govt. on national issues (well that's the idea anyway) local councils deal with local issues. You couldn't have an MP dealing with all the problems in the area who isn't even in the constituency half the time...also if you're talking about planning being too draconian, govt civil servants would be much worse trust me.

ReputationRep:
    Making money:
    I'd pull out of Iraq and minimise Afghanistan troop levels.
    Cut def budget to paying the soldiers and a few Research and development projects.

Cut social welfare in half- those who want it must be working. Make a bureau to investigate that they are, if after two weeks they are not working enroll them in complusory community services 5 days a week, that should encourage them to look harder plus sort out many of the Community's problems.

spending money:
    Build lots and lots of nuclear power plants + invest seriously in all forms of renewable energy except geothermal.
    ignore debt repayment until we are energy secure and have stopped wasting our hard earned millions on welfare.
    Improve education.
    Have a system of canals built to help alleviate drought areas by quick water transfers.

ReputationRep:
    MP represents people's interests to national govt. on national issues (well that's the idea anyway) local councils deal with local issues. You couldn't have an MP dealing with all the problems in the area who isn't even in the constituency half the time...also if you're talking about planning being too draconian, govt civil servants would be much worse trust me.
    Btw I didn't suggest not having a community presence/community consultation. But housing benefit brought to the centre would reduce fraud and error and give more consistent decisions across the UK. Procurement could be negotiated more effectively. Personally I think accountability would be improved. Bin collection for example, the majority of people blamed the govt when some councils moved to fortnightly collection, which was BS, it was the council that decided that.

Planning will never be great (or at least its very been done successfully anywhere in the world so far) but at least civil servants wont halt planning on a NIMBY basis which is the main problem at the minute. Nobody wants the power station so in 5-10 years we will have regular brown outs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)

I'm sure most people on here could do marginally better than Gordon Clown. :laugh:
    i'd overthrow the PM...thats never been done before....

oh wait..

ReputationRep:
    This thread is ace, by looking at all the ******** people put up people may get a view that being chancellor isn't -as- easy as they think...

ReputationRep:
    Cut all taxes on bonuses so that the City can make as much money as they can.

Because that will mean that the genius bankers will stay in the country, attract in all the investment which will continue to make the economy as strong as it has been in the past 10 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)

Because that will mean that the genius bankers will stay in the country, attract in all the investment which will continue to make the economy as strong as it has been in the past 10 years.
    Mega LOLZ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cayrouse)
    Have a system of canals built to help alleviate drought areas by quick water transfers.
    Which areas would they be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Mega LOLZ
    What are you laughing at.....if we carry on penalising the bankers, there's a very real risk the City could relocate, and that would leave us like those other countries in the world who are going through recession at the moment.

The UK's prosperity is not to be taken for granted - lose the City, and whats to stop us going the way of the rest of Western Europe...?

ReputationRep:
    What are you laughing at.....if we carry on penalising the bankers, there's a very real risk the City could relocate, and that would leave us like those other countries in the world who are going through recession at the moment.

The UK's prosperity is not to be taken for granted - lose the City, and whats to stop us going the way of the rest of Western Europe...?
    Oh you were being serious...

So you think the banks added value to the UK over the last decade?

So tell me why they need $2tn of 'assets' underwriting right now?

Shareholder value has been absolutely destroyed in the last 10 years. Why are we in a better situation than if they had been more regulated and not allowed to boom in the way they did?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Oh you were being serious...

So you think the banks added value to the UK over the last decade?

So tell me why they need $2tn of 'assets' underwriting right now?

Shareholder value has been absolutely destroyed in the last 10 years. Why are we in a better situation than if they had been more regulated and not allowed to boom in the way they did?
    The banks are the biggest single reason behind the UKs economic power. They generate income into the country and they create the wealth, which the rest of the country parasites off.

Unfortunately the Communist Labour government decided that "State Control" was better than the market, and got the bright idea of nationalising the big banks. Thats going well isn't it.

Funny how when the banks were in private ownership we never heard about having to make massive cuts in funding, all we heard from the government was "record levels of investment in schools, hospitals, police blahdeblah". One year down the road of public ownership and everybody's talking about cutting everything and the UKs credit rating going bust.

IMO the government would be better standing down and letting some of the real economic talent, from the investment banks, run the Treasury, not the other way round.

ReputationRep:
    What are you laughing at.....if we carry on penalising the bankers, there's a very real risk the City could relocate, and that
    Where to?

would leave us like those other countries in the world who are going through recession at the moment.
    Nope, its just the UK (and a few others) riding the recession train from the OECD
    ________

and lol, post 37 was a good laugh :lol:

ReputationRep:
    The banks are the biggest single reason behind the UKs economic power. They generate income into the country and they create the wealth, which the rest of the country parasites off.

Unfortunately the Communist Labour government decided that "State Control" was better than the market, and got the bright idea of nationalising the big banks. Thats going well isn't it.

Funny how when the banks were in private ownership we never heard about having to make massive cuts in funding, all we heard from the government was "record levels of investment in schools, hospitals, police blahdeblah". One year down the road of public ownership and everybody's talking about cutting everything and the UKs credit rating going bust.

IMO the government would be better standing down and letting some of the real economic talent, from the investment banks, run the Treasury, not the other way round.
    If they generate wealth why has 80% of shareholder value been lost in the last 10 years?

Are you saying Vodafone, BP, Shell, Rio T wouldn't exist without the banks?

I agree with parts but not others. If the UK Gov let the banks find the private sector solution, ie they all go bust only a handful of people in the UK (ie those with ICICI accounts) would be able to withdraw money from cash machines. Personally, I don't think the Gov would have been praised for that...

I agree about the Gov statements in the boom times, but thats politics, as I said.

So your advocating the BoE/treasury working as a hedge fund?

ReputationRep:

I agree almost wholly with this. Especially considering the bankers spend their bonuses (a lot in the UK) therefore benefiting the economy more by supporting industry and a bit more VAT. I believe its the multiplier effect.

However, I think banks with large public finances in them like RBS and Lloyds should be more regulated than ones that didn't take money like HSBC. This will please the ever popular man known in the media as 'The Tax Payer'. I don't even know who this person is.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.