Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Came across these questions about boiling and melting points and am a bit stuck... any help would be appreciated!

1. How do you explain the fact that, although the boiling point of silicon is very high (2360 deg. C), the percentage increase in temperature from melting point to boiling point is less for silicon than for most of the other elements?

Might it be because silicon forms a giant covalent compound? Although I'm unsure why that would help, if indeed it does.

2. Why is the boiling point of argon (-186 deg. C) only slightly higher than its melting point?

Again a guess, but is it due to the fact that argon only has van der Waals forces? I'm not really sure how it relates though.

ReputationRep:
    You're right. It's all bwt the intermolecular force crap

ReputationRep:
    1. I'd hazard a guess that's because you need to break all the very strong covalent bonds to make it a liquid; after that, there's not much left, so most of the work has been done.
    2. The only type of intermolecular forces in Argon (and all Noble gases) are id-id, and those are the weakest type, so it'd be a case of breaking them, then there being little else to break.

ReputationRep:
    correct, these questions are really very much logical and you can bet that you will know how to answer them if you think about it, along the basic chemical rules.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.