Turn on thread page Beta

Is 21st century family life better? watch

ReputationRep:
    Just watched the BBC series which made me think.

1960's family, man goes to work for 8 hours and woman stays at home.

2010 family both go to work 8 hours shifts and come home to clean the house, make tea then exhausted for romance, or just live in a unclean house and have takeaway?

I doubt most people on TSR would be able to make a justified comparison since they weren't even alive in 1960s, never mind married and out at work.

ReputationRep:
    It's all relative at the end of the day...and we can't experience both so can only make educated guesses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parpirate)
    I doubt most people on TSR would be able to make a justified comparison since they weren't even alive in 1960s, never mind married and out at work.
    :rofl:

better in what way, anyway?

ReputationRep:
    No, it's absolutely ****. I grew up basically without my parents.

ReputationRep:
    personally i think its better now, i sure as hell wouldnt want to be a 'kept woman' sitting at home doing the housework and looking after the kids, **** that

ReputationRep:
    More importantly though, the family dynamic is so much different now than what it used to be. The nuclear family is no longer as abundant as it used to be, divorce rates are much higher, second/third marriages are becoming more frequent...and generally marriage isn't as sacred as it once used to be. Before you'd have to have something really bad happen to have a divorce, now it's like one small argument and couples are like ''I'm divorcing you *****" :rant:

we have more freedom but as a result we are more selfish and dont look after kids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    personally i think its better now, i sure as hell wouldnt want to be a 'kept woman' sitting at home doing the housework and looking after the kids, **** that
    so you'd rather work round the clock just to live in a messy house (assuming you have partner/kids)?
    or live single in an apartment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clubeasy_worst_landlord)
    so you'd rather work round the clock just to live in a messy house (assuming you have partner/kids)?
    or live single in an apartment?
    whats being single got to do with this topic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    whats being single got to do with this topic?
    well if your single you dont have to look after kids and you dont have a 3 bedroom house to clean up.

(generally easier to look after yourself)

ReputationRep:
    This family lifestyle is the result of choice. Take the choice away and make women stay at home and look after the children again and well, they'll all start burning their bra's and stuff all over again.

Maybe it's not such a bad idea.........

ReputationRep:
    Although not having a traditional two parent family isn't the end of the world, I would much much rather have grown up with a father.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moley89)
    This family lifestyle is the result of choice. Take the choice away and make women stay at home and look after the children again and well, they'll all start burning their bra's and stuff all over again.

Maybe it's not such a bad idea.........
    Yeah I agree with choice! But I think most people will realise that working full time and raising kids isnt fun so one will work have to part time and do more housework/kid raising. (obviously not the 100% equality everyone pleaded for)

ReputationRep:
    well if your single you dont have to look after kids and you dont have a 3 bedroom house to clean up.

(generally easier to look after yourself)

yes but the topic isnt about that

but to answer your question, neither, i would rather have a partner with no kids and live in a flat....a bit like i do now

exhausted for romance, or just live in a unclean house and have takeaway?
    1) my Dad works a 10 hour day, my mum works an 8 hour day; i have 3 sisters.
    My mum went to uni, had a 16 hour a week job, looked after my preschool sister and me and my other sisters whilst we were still all under 11 and drove everyday from bristol to bath, whilst my dad commuted to london.
    We never had a takeaway before i was about 17, the house is never unclean (messy yes, but not anything that can't be cleared away in 20 minutes) and my parents always have time for eachother and after 22 years there arent any problems.

2) people can be themselves now - gay people and people who want to live in partnerships are free to chose the life they want.

3) in 1960s relationships women werent equal to men; who gives a damn about romance if you arent respected?

ReputationRep:
    i love my family life atm...its miles better than what it would be like in 1900s..especially as a black person

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    1) my Dad works a 10 hour day, my mum works an 8 hour day; i have 3 sisters.
    My mum went to uni, had a 16 hour a week job, looked after my preschool sister and me and my other sisters whilst we were still all under 11 and drove everyday from bristol to bath, whilst my dad commuted to london.
    We never had a takeaway before i was about 17, the house is never unclean (messy yes, but not anything that can't be cleared away in 20 minutes) and my parents always have time for eachother and after 22 years there arent any problems.
    I wouldn't want to live like that! I'm sure most people wouldn't either rather have less burden go to cinema, outings, beach & parties evenings and weekends

2) people can be themselves now - gay people and people who want to live in partnerships are free to chose the life they want.
    Agree completely

3) in 1960s relationships women werent equal to men; who gives a damn about romance if you arent respected?
    Agree but I think a lot of people will choose to live like this
    hhh

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I agree with choice! But I think most people will realise that working full time and raising kids isnt fun so one will work have to part time and do more housework/kid raising. (obviously not the 100% equality everyone pleaded for)
    If most people realised this (or believed this) then this would be the normal 21st century family, since they have the choice to do this, no?

Yet this isn't the normal 21st century family life presented in the OP...people choose to work.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I'd quite like to live in a South American tribe. The women work a mere 20 hours a week, compared to the 40 that American housewives put into household chores, and the men get to chase after animals and all that. That's what we were made for!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 18, 2010
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.