Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am deciding between UCL and Durham. Offers are: UCL- human sciences AAB; Durham University (Chad's)- Natural Sciences AAA. If you could tell me your opinions on either or both whether it's about the offer, the university, the subject or in the case of Durham the College. Advantages and disadvantages please. Cheers

ReputationRep:
    St Chad's all the way! You'll get infinite support from the staff there, because they have their own academic staff. That's on top of the support you get from the university itself. Plus St. Chad's is pretty amazing!

ReputationRep:
    Durham Durham Durham!

Bias out of the way..

I chose to apply to Durham, and not to UCL because I didn't want to be lost in a big city like London, and the small city, college system is perfect for me.
    Friendly

ReputationRep:
    Do you want to live in a big city?
    Do you want to live in a close supported environment?
    Have you visited the institutions?
    Which course appeals to you more?

Personally I think you should visit both institutions before making a decision.

However, I love Durham as it's cosy and the college system gives alot of support and friends.

ReputationRep:
    They are both highly respected universities and not much between them. However, if I were to pick one it would have to be UCL seeing as I would prefer to be in a big city, and because it's arguably more internationally recognised.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I prefer UCL, but then I haven't technically visited Durham, and I'm quite attracted to big cities anyway.

They're also the only two I'm waiting on...

ReputationRep:
    Well in the case of two such vastly different universities, you have to really decide yourself. Do you want to be in the hub of almost everything, smack bam in the middle of a huge city with thriving life all around you, or a quieter perhaps more sustainable small city where you might find it easier to get down to some work? Your choice really.

UCL!

Okay, biased moment over.

If I got into both Durham and UCL, mum would refuse to drive me up with my stuff to Durham as it's so far. away. Have you considered these factors too? :ninjagirl:

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.