Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So we've got to do an improvisation based on one of the following styles of theatre:

Comedy
    Tragedy
    Melodrama
    Farce
    Naturalism/Realism
    Epic Theatre
    Theatre of Cruelty
    Docu-Drama
    Creative Adaptation
    Political
    Feminist
    Physical Theatre

We're thinking about doing a Creative Adaptation, but really we have no idea where to start. Anyone in a similar position? Got any ideas? Has anyone put together an improvisation piece before, if so have you got any tips? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I'm being stupid, but how do you put together an improvisation piece?

ReputationRep:
    Improvisation piece?
    You mean a devised piece?

A creative adaptation could be taking a script and playing about with it. Like versions of Romeo and Juliet where they only use the scenes with R+J in to create an adaptation for schools, or our piece we did last year called The Permanent Way, we took a 3 hour script and had to cut it down and give it our own spin. We changed the structure, changed the set and basically took the words out of any context we were given and made our own context. It's fun, but really difficult

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I mean devised piece, we just call it improvisation in our group for some reason. The problem with the creative adaptation is that the exam board specifically state that you can't adapt plays, just poems/stories etc.

ReputationRep:
    Theatre of Cruelty is amazing, if your group is really into non-naturalistic, weird **** It would involve a pretty open mind though. It's really great, especially when wanting to shock an audience. I think with the range of things you've been given, you've got to look at what your group is good at, what you know from past experience, and you have a great chance of coming up with an amazing piece.

With a creative adaptation, I'm not sure what exam board you're on, but this is what we have tried, I guess. We adapted a script, cut it ourselves, it's a hilarious play. But this has been such a stressful unit. We had to move our performance date back twice because it was going so horrifically, due to people being inconsiderate and just not showing up to lessons. I just wish I had a better group of people to work with

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Can I just say again that Creative Adaptation isn't just taking an already-existing script and cutting it down, or even taking the lines out of context. It needs to be a theatrical adaptation of something that wasn't already a play.

And yeah, personally I'd quite like to try Theatre of Cruelty, although I don't think the people we have in our group would want to/are suited to it. Also, I've seen a few performances in the style and they all seem to be pretty similar, I mean in the techniques they use to get the message across. Also I don't really want to do something 'depressing'.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing the same course and the group I'm in are doing a Creative Adaptation. We've chosen 'The Sad Book' by Michael Rosen which features illustrations by Quentin Blake so I'm sure you can guess what kind of book it is, very open to interpretation.

As for yourself, trying to find someone to adapt is hard, took us a long enough time! Look through your College's libary or something, so easy to find inspiration!

ReputationRep:
    there are three groups in my drama class and we're all doing creative adaptation. we thought it would be easiest one to do. you don't need to think of your own story, you just need to think a way of retelling one. my group is doing 1984, there's a group doing alice in wonderland and a group doing atonement.

i'm starting my supporting notes and you need to research 'key features of your chosen style', except the AQA website doesn't have the specifications on and i'm seriously struggling to find anyhting on the internet.

ReputationRep:
    I am currently doing this for A2 and we are basing it on Little Red Riding Hood, using Artaud and Brecht to create a twisted adaptation aimed at adults. You can't adapt a play that's already a play, it has to be a story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by floralucyyy)
    I am currently doing this for A2 and we are basing it on Little Red Riding Hood, using Artaud and Brecht to create a twisted adaptation aimed at adults. You can't adapt a play that's already a play, it has to be a story.
    The year above me (I've just started A2) did a similiar thing of adapting a children's fairytale. Creative Adaptation is a brilliant style to do as it means you already start with a storyline, and you get the freedom to adapt it. I'd start by getting your group to investigate what they could possibly adapt: get a long list and see what you agree on.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing my devised piece too - we've chosen to do physical theatre, which should be...interesting. I'm quite looking forward to the challenge.

A few years ago, a group at my school did a creative adaptation of the Amanda Knox trials, which my teachers are still raving about. Creative Adaptation seems to be a good way to go.

ReputationRep:
    My A2 devised piece (presuming that's what you meant) in 2010 was Artaudian theatre of cruelty about dehumanisation in different contexts. We looked at the treatment of the Jews in WW2 in concentration camps, Guantanamo Bay and mistreatment in mental hospitals. The whole process was the most stressful experience of my life to the point that as soon as it was over I pulled out my UCAS application for drama. Good luck.

Tips:
    Don't be surprised if you fall out with your group, but hopefully when the whole hoohar is over you'll be able to go on how you were before
    Use stimuli such as official documents and direct quotes to give your piece authenticity
    Make sure you have a sound person who isn't going to bail on you 10 minutes before your final performance, forcing you to grab someone else at short notice and teach them all the cues in several minutes.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 14, 2011

University open days

• University of Chichester
    Multiple Departments Undergraduate
    Thu, 25 Oct '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 26 Oct '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.