Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Im currently in yr 11 and I am thinking about A Levels

I want to do an economics degree at a university like Manchester, Birmingham or Nottingham and the subjects i am thinking of doing are:

Maths
    Economics
    Physics

Can you please help me with my 4th option [i am interested in chemistry]:confused: Btw I dont realli want to do an essay subject as i cant write essays to save my life!
    Also are the universities I want to go to strict with A level subjects?

Thank You

ReputationRep:
    well you could try a science if your interested, or you could do futher maths.. (all the others are essay based)..

ReputationRep:
    Maths, Physics, Chem and Economics sounds like an excellent combination to me to study economics.
    They sounds like nightmarish subjects to me though :p:

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you do, no 'soft' subjects (such as Media Studies) as they will lower your chances of acceptance into a top university. Some don't like Economics and Business Studies being taken at the same time, too.

Take a subject you're interested in. If you like chemistry, take it! It's one of the most respected and challenging subjects and without a shadow of a doubt, your application will look better with it. If you like a subject you'll do better in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oliver5084)
    well you could try a science if your interested, or you could do futher maths.. (all the others are essay based)..
    yh I think I might do chemistry because I quite like it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doublereedfreak)
    Maths, Physics, Chem and Economics sounds like an excellent combination to me to study economics.
    They sounds like nightmarish subjects to me though :p:
    yh they sound good but i'm scared about the workload :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathew551)
    Whatever you do, no 'soft' subjects (such as Media Studies) as they will lower your chances of acceptance into a top university. Some don't like Economics and Business Studies being taken at the same time, too.

Take a subject you're interested in. If you like chemistry, take it! It's one of the most respected and challenging subjects and without a shadow of a doubt, your application will look better with it. If you like a subject you'll do better in it.
    i was thinking of doing accounting because it seemed interesting
    is it blacklisted?

ReputationRep:
    If You Like Chemistry Then Go For It, As It Fits With What You Want To Do

Like oliver5084, further maths would be good too.

So Economics, Maths, Physics, Chemistry/Further Maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ybuffness)
    I take none of those subjects, but A levels in general are quite demanding. However, if you go in with the right mind-set, it's ok so don't be scared.
    Although, I've lost most of my motivation so.. yeah

ReputationRep:
    Be aware that for Economics you will need to write essays!
    At A-level and beyond! :P

ReputationRep:
    Meh, it'll be fine for those subjects if you're decent at them.

ReputationRep:
    i was thinking of doing accounting because it seemed interesting
    is it blacklisted?
    At many of the top universities, yes. I'd advise you contact them/consult their prospectuses.

ReputationRep:
    i would advise chem they would prefer that over further maths. i have applied for economics with bio,chem,physics and maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DESI_BOY)
    i would advise chem they would prefer that over further maths. i have applied for economics with bio,chem,physics and maths
    wat uni's did u apply 4 nd have you got a place?

ReputationRep:
    I've done those A levels, (good choice), when you're applying to uni give them the pleasure of another science, and after doing well you can go where you want and do what you want... They'll be bothering you to go to them and not the other way round...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michaelwicks2711)
    I've done those A levels, (good choice), when you're applying to uni give them the pleasure of another science, and after doing well you can go where you want and do what you want... They'll be bothering you to go to them and not the other way round...
    oo lol thats nice 2 hear
    is the workload alot or is it alright to balance?

ReputationRep:
    Just pick Further Maths if you want a strong chance at uni's for Economics. You might want to aim at higher universities at a later date so having FM to atleast AS would be an advantage.

ReputationRep:
    Geography? Goes well with econ... but you may find it too similar, thus boring. Chemistry's great, whatever you do at uni

ReputationRep:
    I'd say further maths.
    It bodes well with the Unis if you have it, and because the content is similar to normal maths, the workload is not as much as taking a whole other subject (though you may struggle with the content depending on how good you are at maths).
    I don't know about the Unis though. But I'd imagine for economics, you'd need AAA or AAB, because it's a competitive course to get into.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Since you're interested in taking chemistry - take that.

I would advise you take further maths though.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.