Turn on thread page Beta

I am about to choose my Gcse options and i want to be a doctor what subjects should i choose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cosette)
    I am about to choose my Gcse options and i want to be a doctor what subjects should i choose
    All the sciences would be best! And then the rest are really up to you, I'd say.

ReputationRep:
    It's not that important at GCSE, as you have to do the English/Maths/Science but do a language and at least one humanity.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I knew about this forum when I was choosing my options two years ago If you want to become a doctor then you have to take science and maths anyway, so it's just a question of picking what you'd enjoy and maybe some subjects you enjoy enough to take at A-Level to go with two/three science subjects. It may be a good idea to keep your options open and pick GCSEs incase you change your career idea as you are only young.

ReputationRep:
    do u have the option of doing HUMAN PHYSIOLOGY as an extra subject?if so choose that, we had to do it as an extra curriculum and stayed from 4-6pm at school to do it. helps u alot in human biology at college.

choose IT, and a humanity. and doing another language is good choice.

ReputationRep:
    do you have humanities as a choice thats a good choice its like life issues and stuff it is a great learner and not too confusing
    personaly i took geography and it was a total waste of time
    re isnt too bad i did that too

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't think that it's going to matter too much at all, your A-Level choices are far, far more important.

ReputationRep:
    [COLOR=red] i wanna be a doc 2 all u need 2 take is double award science and health and social care (that ones optional though) :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilkolover)
    [COLOR=red] i wanna be a doc 2 all u need 2 take is double award science and health and social care (that ones optional though) :cool:
    I wouldn't take health and social care it's generally seen 'lower' compared to the other more traditional GCSEs and the sciences are more than sufficient.

The main ones you should concentrate on (i.e. gain at least a B but preferably A/A*) are the sciences, maths and english. Unis wants to see breadth so maybe just take the double award science so that you can have more options to obtain this breadth. So pretty much choose anything you want, it doesn't matter at all. I personally opted for a few languages, a humanity (RS) and IT

ReputationRep:
    Just so you know, many universities want to see Chemistry, Biology and Maths or Physics. And top grades in all three. So it might be best that you take the prerequisites for these (i.e. Maths and Double or Triple Science) at GCSE and get at least B in them. Obviously you should get a C or better in English GCSE too.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.