Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I can't stop eating! How to stop comfort eating? watch

Announcements

I have felt so miserable in the past month and a little before then. I've just finished my first term at uni and I have struggled to make friends and have fell in with a bad flat. I got offered a job over christmas back in my university town so I came back despite no one being in halls. However the company liquidated and I lost my job.

My only comfort is eating now because cooking a meal means I have something productive to do other than studying and there's no one to see or talk to. I eat so much in a day, probably double my calorie intake as I'm so bored.

I did consider going home but most of my friends went back to uni early due to exams and I have an extremely long holiday. Also I couldn't imagine being home and cooped up with my parents all day as I get so stir-crazy and they aren't easy to live with.

I can't help the cravings and I can't keep going like this! I can't fit into my trousers anymore and I'm bulging out of most of my jeans! In terms of sizes, I am naturally a small size eight and now I'm ballooning to big size twelve.

I feel so unattractive, miserable and want to start making friends and be my natural weight again. Any tips on how to stop my comfort eating and cravings, how to distract myself and how to lose the weight, etc?

it happened to me last year. my advice is when you put food on your plate just throw away half of it (knowing that it's too much that is), eat foods that fill you up whatever they are- if one chocolate bars stops you from further snacking then why not, and drinks lotsss of water. don't stop walking/ doing small exercises etc. and most of all find sth else to spend your time with be it some good new music, books or whatever gets you distracted. you have to stay motivated because god knows how long it takes you to lose all the fat once its piled. one moment on the lips, forever on the hips..

ReputationRep:
    Stop and think about whether you're actually hungry/want to eat that? That has helped me get into a more reasonable eating pattern (I grew up with the idea that eating until you're more than full is normal.. not that I was that chubby, but it just doesn't really help).

Is there any ways you guys distract yourselves when you have a major craving?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It sounds weird but i clean around the house - i do gross jobs like clean the toilets, clean the cat **** out of its box, empty bins etc The smell of those kinda things really put me off food, even if i really want it.

ReputationRep:
    Actually.. no, not really. I just try to resist it and that works pretty well. I simply don't want to be bothered by it too much.
    I guess my craving for food isn't that intense.

Wouldn't it be great if your way of distracting yourself would include sporting? e.g. cycling for 30 minutes every time you feel the craving is unbearable.

ReputationRep:
    have fruit near-by, so atleist youd be getting 5 a day out of it!

or chewing gum seemes to work.

ReputationRep:
    Find something else productive to do? Maybe a creative outlet?

Also, don't buy much when you go to the supermarket. Go just once a week and buy the bare minimum. This might not work, but it's worth a try.

ReputationRep:
    Remember that the food will only make you feel better for about 2 minutes before the guilt sets in and you feel much worse, so its just not worth it. Have lots of grapes and strawberries around (very low cal) that you can pickk at.

ReputationRep:
    I had a stint where this was a problem. Chewing gum distracted my mouth and brain enough to avoid any unnecessary food and I got into sport and photography to give myself something to do. You've got to be strict with meals. Now a happy size 10

ReputationRep:
    all you have to do is keep yourself busy busy busy. Find alot of things to do and then your mind will go off food. join a club which includes things u like doing and stuff like that, go out and have fun. That way ur not always in the house so u wont be boreddd

ReputationRep:
    duct tape.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PearlyWhites)
    On a serious note, why don't u binge on fruit instead? That way you wont put on any weight and can eat till your hearts content!
    Fruit's gotta ton of sugar and still has calories so annoyingly you wouldn't lose weight, and once you lose the sugar high you'd get hungry again.

Drink tons of water or hot drinks, that always makes me feel like I've eaten something. Also, sugar free jelly... I know it's not exactly healthy but you can eat TONS of it, get full real fast and there's virtually no calories.

I usually eat when I'm bored out my mind, so watch a film or play a computer game or something that'll take your mind off food for a few hours. Go out a lot, even if it's just for a walk. Swim, gym blah blah..

There's also a cult french film called 'La Grande Bouffe,' which will probably put you off binge eating for life too (Y) (promise, not in the way that most people wanted a burger after seeing Supersize me)

I have this problem at the moment and I am terrified.
    The last few days i have eaten until I literally could not move anymore, and unsuprisingly, I am now also in a great state of pain.
    I am thin right now, but I won't be if I keep doing this.
    I do not enjoy the food at all, and nor am I hungry at all, but I keep eating it, you have no idea how sick and self-loathing I feel.

I never used to be like this at all, and now I just feel so upset.

ReputationRep:
    Try eating gum

ReputationRep:
    It's exam time, munch up!

ReputationRep:
    I have felt so miserable in the past month and a little before then. I've just finished my first term at uni and I have struggled to make friends and have fell in with a bad flat. I got offered a job over christmas back in my university town so I came back despite no one being in halls. However the company liquidated and I lost my job.

My only comfort is eating now because cooking a meal means I have something productive to do other than studying and there's no one to see or talk to. I eat so much in a day, probably double my calorie intake as I'm so bored.

I did consider going home but most of my friends went back to uni early due to exams and I have an extremely long holiday. Also I couldn't imagine being home and cooped up with my parents all day as I get so stir-crazy and they aren't easy to live with.

I can't help the cravings and I can't keep going like this! I can't fit into my trousers anymore and I'm bulging out of most of my jeans! In terms of sizes, I am naturally a small size eight and now I'm ballooning to big size twelve.

I feel so unattractive, miserable and want to start making friends and be my natural weight again. Any tips on how to stop my comfort eating and cravings, how to distract myself and how to lose the weight, etc?
    heres an idea.
    if you have any places (buildings) you like, suchas if you live near a chocolate factory, take some whey protein, walk up there and back a couple of times a day. trust me, this will really help burn fat :P, i always love walking to places i want to be at lol

ReputationRep:
    Organize yourself, write down how much your going to spend on food each week and which food, give yourself one day to get them all from the shop. Dont try going from total junk to total healthy food it wont work, im on a diet atm, just slowly go from junk to healthy as it will harm your body as its use to getting so much, even set your self targets each week on how much junk you will have and take out etc. Cut grapes in half and nibble them, they taste better in half anyway

ReputationRep:
    Think of the all the poor people in the world who are going hungry tonight, should help :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're a dwarf, a size 12 is not fat. Fat starts at size 18

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.