Turn on thread page Beta

I can't stop eating! How to stop comfort eating? watch

ReputationRep:
    Buy a bunch of grapes. You can snack on those to stop you getting bored.

Otherwise, I know it's difficult. I struggle a lot with comfort eating, especially eating when I'm bored.

One thing I've found that helps is keeping track of the things you eat, and their calorie contents etc. Sounds obvious but it helps once you realise the actual amounts of food you've had, the times of day and the triggers behind it. Then you can be more aware of when you're likely to eat, and avoid it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I have felt so miserable in the past month and a little before then. I've just finished my first term at uni and I have struggled to make friends and have fell in with a bad flat. I got offered a job over christmas back in my university town so I came back despite no one being in halls. However the company liquidated and I lost my job.

My only comfort is eating now because cooking a meal means I have something productive to do other than studying and there's no one to see or talk to. I eat so much in a day, probably double my calorie intake as I'm so bored.

I did consider going home but most of my friends went back to uni early due to exams and I have an extremely long holiday. Also I couldn't imagine being home and cooped up with my parents all day as I get so stir-crazy and they aren't easy to live with.

I can't help the cravings and I can't keep going like this! I can't fit into my trousers anymore and I'm bulging out of most of my jeans! In terms of sizes, I am naturally a small size eight and now I'm ballooning to big size twelve.

I feel so unattractive, miserable and want to start making friends and be my natural weight again. Any tips on how to stop my comfort eating and cravings, how to distract myself and how to lose the weight, etc?
    That sounds really miserable, I really feel for you

Can you join some societies or groups at uni to try and make other friends outside of your flat?

With the comfort eating, I know the feeling, it's really easy to munch loads of nice food when you feel a bit low, I would suggest thinking to yourself whenever you get that feeling that you are going to actively resist eating anything, and try to get a positive boost from making a healthy and wise decision. Picture yourself getting healthier and slimmer whenever you choose not to eat.

Also, it's a good tactic to have a nibble of something you like whenever you feel like it, but only a nibble. Five minutes later, it doesn't matter whether you've eating a little bit or loads, you still feel like you've had something nice.

ReputationRep:
    There is a cactus called hoodia gordonii that tribesmen in africa used to suppress appetite during long hunts, if you look you will find a lot of pills available containing chemical extracts etc. of this plant but frankly they are all ******** and wont work.
    If you can get ahold of a living specimen or ideally several then consuming strips of the raw flesh from just beneath the skin will completely suppress appetite with no other negative side effects.
    I once ate a large amount of this cactus and I was able to walk for the next three days without eating and I didn't feel hungry at all. This probably isn't wise but it should give you an idea of how effective it really is in its raw form. It is very hard to get living plants though I have seen them for sale in the UK before.

ReputationRep:
    Also cultivating cacti might turn into a hobby that will keep you occupied. try growing some peyote from seed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkady)
    There is a cactus called hoodia gordonii that tribesmen in africa used to suppress appetite during long hunts, if you look you will find a lot of pills available containing chemical extracts etc. of this plant but frankly they are all ******** and wont work.
    If you can get ahold of a living specimen or ideally several then consuming strips of the raw flesh from just beneath the skin will completely suppress appetite with no other negative side effects.
    I once ate a large amount of this cactus and I was able to walk for the next three days without eating and I didn't feel hungry at all. This probably isn't wise but it should give you an idea of how effective it really is in its raw form. It is very hard to get living plants though I have seen them for sale in the UK before.
    Ripped out of context, this idea could make for a good joke.
    "Having trouble keeping yourself from eating? Try eating a cactus for a change!"

Interesting story, though.

(Original post by pigwigeon)
    One thing I've found that helps is keeping track of the things you eat, and their calorie contents etc. Sounds obvious but it helps once you realise the actual amounts of food you've had, the times of day and the triggers behind it. Then you can be more aware of when you're likely to eat, and avoid it.
    I was stunned when I saw how many calories there's in nuts.
    I only eat like a handful of them each time I feel like eating nuts, ever since I found out.

(Original post by Lucible)
    I had a stint where this was a problem. Chewing gum distracted my mouth and brain enough to avoid any unnecessary food and I got into sport and photography to give myself something to do. You've got to be strict with meals. Now a happy size 10
    Chewing gum actually makes me feel more hungry.

What works pretty well too for eating in general (not comfort eating) is to wait a bit longer when you feel hungry. Don't grab something to eat right away, but wait for another 30~60 minutes. Chances are that you won't feel that hungry any more after that period of time. At least, that's what I've noticed..
    It works pretty much in the same way when you won't feel sleepy after staying awake a whole night, but you'll feel pretty much dead during the night itself, you know?

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I have this problem at the moment and I am terrified.
    The last few days i have eaten until I literally could not move anymore, and unsuprisingly, I am now also in a great state of pain.
    I am thin right now, but I won't be if I keep doing this.
    I do not enjoy the food at all, and nor am I hungry at all, but I keep eating it, you have no idea how sick and self-loathing I feel.

I never used to be like this at all, and now I just feel so upset.

It's very sad that there are other people going through this too. I have been getting to this point too.

I am going to try eating gum and possibly getting a cactus of the kind mentioned. thanks for your advice guys!

ReputationRep:
    I am feeling EXACTLY the same. I to am in my 1st year at uni and have also ballooned from a slender 10 to nearly a 16. I am tall and lots of peope say that they can't tell, especially those who I have met new at uni. This does not help! I know I look awful right now and also clothes are an issue, as I feel frumpy in baggy stuff as my nicer cloths are too small . The less I go out the less I want to go out knowing what I look like. I don't realy have cravings but buy alot of biscuits/chocolate, and will eat the whole packet. Also alot of cereal and demolish a box. My stomach often aches once I have binged! I am with you with the bordem, and its not like me as befor uni I was a regular health freak, food and exercise wise. I am soo annoyed that I have let myself go like this, an its frustrating!
    I am trying motivational tings, especially now the sun has come out more. I do exercise at the uni, and a walk does help. Hve started running again, a this is free (money is an issue, can't realy afford classes or new clothes, yet there is allways money for junk!). Also i think being realistic about it. Its going to take a while to get back to normal. I have started planning each day to get some routeine back in my life! We can do it!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.