Turn on thread page Beta

Okay so I just got the results of my first GCSE Maths Exam watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey people well I do AQA foundation in maths, I've never understood maths apart from the basics, in truth I find some of it pointless but nether the less I need it! so I got my results back of the FIRST paper I've done (November 2009) I got 94 and to get a C its 97, so you can guess how pissed I am. Anyway I've been thinking I must of got most of the questions right.. I mean to get a C on foundation you basically have to get 100% don't you? Do you think it would be easier to get a C on higher..? Also seeing though I only got D on the paper does this mean I definitely wont get a C overall? The reason Im asking you this is because I study maths GCSE by myself and dont have a teacher to ask, thanx.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, overall you got a D.
    and on higher paper, it can be harder where the questions dont always be 'C'grade only the first couple do, after that it gets harder.
    so foundation is better.
    i understand how pssed of you are going to be as i myself for science got 1 less mark for a c!!!

ReputationRep:
    Is Your Course Modular?

ReputationRep:
    I am being put on higher for edexcel maths. I was on foundation first time around, but my maths teacher said that it's hard to get a C in the foundation so she put us all on the higher paper.

It helps to have a tutor I think, they can teach you different ways how to do things. =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skeppy)
    Hey people well I do AQA foundation in maths, I've never understood maths apart from the basics, in truth I find some of it pointless but nether the less I need it! so I got my results back of the FIRST paper I've done (November 2009) I got 94 and to get a C its 97, so you can guess how pissed I am. Anyway I've been thinking I must of got most of the questions right.. I mean to get a C on foundation you basically have to get 100% don't you? Do you think it would be easier to get a C on higher..? Also seeing though I only got D on the paper does this mean I definitely wont get a C overall? The reason Im asking you this is because I study maths GCSE by myself and dont have a teacher to ask, thanx.
    Ah piss, I know how you feel. But getting a C on higher is MUCH MUCH easier and I'd recommend you do that if you can. You got 94/100? That's very high, and yes maybe it will drop if you do higher but you only need about 50-60 to get a C if I remember correctly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Attitude)
    Yes, overall you got a D.
    and on higher paper, it can be harder where the questions dont always be 'C'grade only the first couple do, after that it gets harder.
    so foundation is better.
    i understand how pssed of you are going to be as i myself for science got 1 less mark for a c!!!
    But I havn't done the other 2 exams and this one was worth about 25% possibly less.. so I still dont have a chance of getting a C?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skeppy)
    But I havn't done the other 2 exams and this one was worth about 25% possibly less.. so I still dont have a chance of getting a C?
    OOPS!
    actually you do have a chance of getting a C!

ReputationRep:
    I did the higher paper first at got 68/200 (lol D) and then retook the foundation, and through revising and hard work I achieved 182/200.

ReputationRep:
    I always thought it must be easier to get a C on higher than foundation in all honesty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Attitude)
    OOPS!
    actually you do have a chance of getting a C!
    As do you, if your grasp of basic probability is any indication.

ReputationRep:
    Okay
    I know which course you are doing,
    I've just finished my maths course, AQA B, in november, when i did Module 5.

Foundation Module 3 out of 112 marks, scaled.
    Higher is out of 162 marks scaled.

You need to attain 97 too, on foundation and higher, to get a C.

97 on foundation is not near full marks, infact checking the gradeboundaries, it is 50/70 for a C,
    You were off 3 scaled marks, which is roughly around 1-2 real marks.

I would advise you to stick to foundation because many people that got fullmarks on foundation and then resat it in higher, got a D.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    i got my result back and it was a **** A. i was two marks from an A* - do you think it is right to do a resit so i could get an A* and have more chance of getting an A* overall???

I'm seriously considering a resit

Im with edexcel for modular maths (2381) and i did Unit 1 - Data Handling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hydrabow333)
    i got my result back and it was a **** A. i was two marks from an A* - do you think it is right to do a resit so i could get an A* and have more chance of getting an A* overall???

I'm seriously considering a resit

Im with edexcel for modular maths (2381) and i did Unit 1 - Data Handling.
    Well, if you are able to get an A* yes. I definitely would, though im aiming for an A, I would like to be able to go for an A*. Though my module 10 is in March.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.