Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Land Rovers & 4x4's the future watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Yorkshire are going to be doing this http://www.lro.com/news.php?sid=407&page=1

Land Rovers and other proper 4x4's are the cars that we should be driving none of these crappy minature electric cars etc. The idiots who are anti 4x4 campaigners and the tree hugging hippies that are green peace need to wake up and see the actual future which is Land Rover's and 4x4's. In the snow it was Land Rover's and other proper 4x4's that could handle it and helped to save lives. With anti 4x4 campaigners and green peace trying to destroy the last of the british car manufacturers and getting the government to tax them off the road it will be really bad for this country.

The people who would die if or when less people have Land Rover's and proper 4x4's will be on your conscious and their blood on your hands.

With the snow that we had I'm glad to say that the sales of Land Rover's and 4x4's more so used ones went up so screw you green peace hippies and the idiot anti 4x4 campaigners.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. 4x4s rule.

ReputationRep:
    Land Rover Defenders are the best in the world.

ReputationRep:
    My dad's SUV Is built like a tank. Every time I sit in it I feel so safe. Why the hell should my dad have to pay more tax for emissions, when he worked his a$$ off to be able to afford it. Its not like he said one day "lets buy the car which gives off the most c02 and see if we can kill as much wild life as possible". He bought it because a.) There are 7 seats so we can all travel as a family and b) Its safe
    For people who say 4X4's emit too much c02, move on. People friggin die due to civil war and terrorism every day. Do you bat an eyelid when this happens? No.
    If you've ever seen what happens to some of these "road legal" cars like "Nissan Micra's etc." in an accident on the motorway then you'd be the first to buy a 4X4 if you could afford it.

ReputationRep:
    4x4s are **** and useless for the vast majority of people. The only 4x4 I would get is and Impreza or Audi not a big high thing that would be no fun to drive.

They tend to be driven for a status symbol or because the people are so **** at driving they know when they crash they want to come off better than the other guy.

Also most of your post is ********.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neil44)
    My dad's SUV Is built like a tank. Every time I sit in it I feel so safe. Why the hell should my dad have to pay more tax for emissions, when he worked his a$$ off to be able to afford it. Its not like he said one day "lets buy the car which gives off the most c02 and see if we can kill as much wild life as possible". He bought it because a.) There are 7 seats so we can all travel as a family and b) Its safe
    For people who say 4X4's emit too much c02, move on. People friggin die due to civil war and terrorism every day. Do you bat an eyelid when this happens? No.
    If you've ever seen what happens to some of these "road legal" cars like "Nissan Micra's etc." in an accident on the motorway then you'd be the first to buy a 4X4 if you could afford it.
    Prime example of what I said in my post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoody555)
    Land Rover Defenders are the best in the world.
    yep agree but would also say the disco is on the same level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scorpion95)
    yep agree but would also say the disco is on the same level
    It's not even about 4x4s it's about big engined cars.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, gotta say, I was a bit sceptical about 4x4s until the recent bought of snow, when my mums softcore off roader, VW Tiguan, performed admirably. It got up hills that no other car could and being in the country side, we would have been stuck without the 4x4.

In balance though, the snow storms we had this year were once a generation and for the vast majority of people, 4x4s are completely unrequired, but hey, who am I to dictate what other people want to drive?

And the Defender Series 2 pwns all other 4x4s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _KilgoreTrout_)
    It's not even about 4x4s it's about big engined cars.
    Ok i'll bite. What is your problem? Please try not to swear. It makes you look inept.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neil44)
    I've been in accidents in a Micra on a motorway and a B-road, I'd still recommend one to anyone, safety wise. Front and side damage, I walked away unscathed.

As for 4x4s, I'm not going to get into a debate about which is best, but I do think that'd be good to have switchable four wheel drive on them, as in two wheels are driven when conditions permit and the driver can select four if he thinks it's needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Ok i'll bite. What is your problem? Please try not to swear. It makes you look inept.
    My problem is that the title and post act as if the link is purely against 4x4s, when it isn't it is about all big engined cars.

If you think I have a problem with big engined cars then you misunderstood me.

ReputationRep:
    Land Rovers are amazing cars, I agree its a bit pointless owning a 4x4 if you never offroad or drive in snow etc. but they are very very good at what they're built for, and I see no reason why those of us who own them should be made to pay more when we have bought one for the reason that they are intended.
    Me and my boyfriend have 2 Series 2 Land Rovers and thanks to Wightlink, we now have to pay an extra £10 on ferry tickets to go onto the mainland to go to meets, we restored them and keep them running ourselves and they are used for what they are meant for (offroading and towing) - what's the issue?
    As well as that, what about people who need them for their jobs eg. farmers; they're ripped off enough as it is, why should they pay more just because they need a car capable of so much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    I've been in accidents in a Micra on a motorway and a B-road, I'd still recommend one to anyone, safety wise. Front and side damage, I walked away unscathed.

As for 4x4s, I'm not going to get into a debate about which is best, but I do think that'd be good to have switchable four wheel drive on them, as in two wheels are driven when conditions permit and the driver can select four if he thinks it's needed.
    Most modern ones do that already...VW does for sure, it is called 4 Motion.

And I would much rather be in a big car than a Micra on a motorway crash! Hence why i drive the XJ on the motorway, I have about 3 miles in front of me in bonnet and 10 miles behind me. God forbid it, but if someone did crash into me, I ain't gonna know about it for a while! Plus you have disc brakes all round to avoid the crash in the first place.

Prime example, yesterday I was travelling down the M40, outside lane, doing about 75mph. Ford Fiesta in the second lane, lorry in the inside. Lorry decides to pull out, doesn't check his mirror, Fiesta obviously pulls into my lane but he is only doing 60ish mph. I slam the brakes on and thanks to the massive brakes on the Jag, I manage to slow the car from 75ish to less than 60 in less than a car length. I know this, because the lorry pulled out when I was at the rear quarter of the trailer and the fiesta was 6ft in front of me, i got 15mph off in a car length.

Like to see a Micra do that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _KilgoreTrout_)
    My problem is that the title and post act as if the link is purely against 4x4s, when it isn't it is about all big engined cars.

If you think I have a problem with big engined cars then you misunderstood me.
    Yes I did, big time! But your ranting and raving with half your point blurred in ****** didn't help me!

And yeh, Yorkshire Council are idiots, another tax on the rich. Typical labour government idea then. Bring on the General Election...the Tories just got more ammunition to win Yorkshire!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freeforever)
    Land Rovers are amazing cars, I agree its a bit pointless owning a 4x4 if you never offroad or drive in snow etc. but they are very very good at what they're built for, and I see no reason why those of us who own them should be made to pay more when we have bought one for the reason that they are intended.
    Me and my boyfriend have 2 Series 2 Land Rovers and thanks to Wightlink, we now have to pay an extra £10 on ferry tickets to go onto the mainland to go to meets, we restored them and keep them running ourselves and they are used for what they are meant for (offroading and towing) - what's the issue?
    As well as that, what about people who need them for their jobs eg. farmers; they're ripped off enough as it is, why should they pay more just because they need a car capable of so much?
    agree, cool sounds well used

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    On Golfs etc, but the Tuareg certainly doesn't do that, I should have been clearer in my post. Sorry. When you have people driving kids to school within an entirely urban environment I do not think they need four wheel drive, yes they buy them for safety of the bigger vehicle but a lot wouldn't notice if the front wheels were only driven most of the time.

Mind you, the flaw in that theory is that the engine would need to be altered, perhaps via a switch, as the front wheels couldn't handle the power in most cases. Hmmmm.

As for the case at hand, I don't think it should be enforced on older cars, and newer cars have taxation to try and limit sales of so-called gas guzzlers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    On Golfs etc, but the Tuareg certainly doesn't do that, I should have been clearer in my post. Sorry. When you have people driving kids to school within an entirely urban environment I do not think they need four wheel drive, yes they buy them for safety of the bigger vehicle but a lot wouldn't notice if the front wheels were only driven most of the time.

Mind you, the flaw in that theory is that the engine would need to be altered, perhaps via a switch, as the front wheels couldn't handle the power in most cases. Hmmmm.

As for the case at hand, I don't think it should be enforced on older cars, and newer cars have taxation to try and limit sales of so-called gas guzzlers.
    No, you would just power the Rear Wheels at all times, engage the Front when needed. That is what our Tiguan does...

And yeh, I agree, but equally I don't think it is up to any of us to decide what people are allowed to drive or what car is acceptable for certain applications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)

And I would much rather be in a big car than a Micra on a motorway crash! Hence why i drive the XJ on the motorway, I have about 3 miles in front of me in bonnet and 10 miles behind me. God forbid it, but if someone did crash into me, I ain't gonna know about it for a while! Plus you have disc brakes all round to avoid the crash in the first place.

Prime example, yesterday I was travelling down the M40, outside lane, doing about 75mph. Ford Fiesta in the second lane, lorry in the inside. Lorry decides to pull out, doesn't check his mirror, Fiesta obviously pulls into my lane but he is only doing 60ish mph. I slam the brakes on and thanks to the massive brakes on the Jag, I manage to slow the car from 75ish to less than 60 in less than a car length. I know this, because the lorry pulled out when I was at the rear quarter of the trailer and the fiesta was 6ft in front of me, i got 15mph off in a car length.

Like to see a Micra do that...
    I'm not going to argue about being, and perhaps feeling, safer in a bigger car, but I can vouch for the stopping ability of the newest Micra, the brakes saved me, in similar situations to yours, many a time. Car had a weedy horn though! I did also use engine braking, but that's just sensible, I'd say.

One of the crashes was due to someone underestimating the braking of my Micra, btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    No, you would just power the Rear Wheels at all times, engage the Front when needed. That is what our Tiguan does...

And yeh, I agree, but equally I don't think it is up to any of us to decide what people are allowed to drive or what car is acceptable for certain applications.
    :facepalm: for me, this is what I get for posting and watching a film at the same time.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 19, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.