Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is it possible to transfer from medicine to dentistry? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i have applied to medicine but am wondering if it is possible to transfer to dentistry as i have heard the first year is the same for both..??
    i no its nt advisable ..but jus wondering is it possible?

ReputationRep:
    If I was going to transfer I would do it before I started, which unis have you applied to? If they both do med/ dentistry you could try calling them up.

Why the change of mind?

ReputationRep:
    why on earth would anyone want to?

decide what you want to do now, it doesnt sound like you want to do either, tbf.

ReputationRep:
    yea i emailed them..
    applied to queens newcastle dundee glasgow..

um havent completely changed my mind...jus did work experience in both..liked both...thot i prefered medicine...bt nt nt so sure...dunoo...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)

decide what you want to do now, it doesnt sound like you want to do either, tbf.
    Where's your accent

And OP, I've certainly never heard of such a transfer but I can't say with any certainty whether you can or not.

ReputationRep:

This?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelly^2)
    This?
    That.

ReputationRep:
    I was having these same doubts just a couple days ago. I have 2 offers for medicine and was actually considering taking a gap year and doing dentistry. But after talking it through with my family I realised, eventhough dentistry might seem like an easier option, there was a reason I chose medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma.r.124)
    yea i emailed them..
    applied to queens newcastle dundee glasgow..

um havent completely changed my mind...jus did work experience in both..liked both...thot i prefered medicine...bt nt nt so sure...dunoo...
    Congratulations on displaying to the admissions officers that you have a lack of commitment to both medicine and dentistry. I'd be surprised if they didn't cross you off their list of potentials as soon as they read that e-mail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blátönn)
    Congratulations on displaying to the admissions officers that you have a lack of commitment to both medicine and dentistry. I'd be surprised if they didn't cross you off their list of potentials as soon as they read that e-mail.
    maybe they'd give her credit for owning up rather than taking someone elses spot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cgpas)
    maybe they'd give her credit for owning up rather than taking someone elses spot
    Ha as if! Ever heard of maxillofacial course in kings OP possibly THE hardest course to get onto but look into it.

ReputationRep:

i used a diff email account and didnt email the places ive applied..lol..not an idiot

ReputationRep:

i used a diff email account and didnt email the places ive applied..lol..not an idiot
    I think choosing a course that you are not fully committed too is very idiotic. Its a long hard slog and with that attitude you may not be able to handle it.

You need to soul search and find out why you want to do either.

ReputationRep:
    i have applied to medicine but am wondering if it is possible to transfer to dentistry as i have heard the first year is the same for both..??
    i no its nt advisable ..but jus wondering is it possible?
    Urm..I don't think it's possible, well not anymore anyway. You should probably reapply next year so you can do dentistry but like the others said email them to check. Also, don't go into either half-heartedly as you might end up wasting 5 years of your life!! Isn't there a reason you picked medicine over dentistry?

ReputationRep:
    well, it was either that or vet med ....

ReputationRep:
    have you got any replies?

ReputationRep:
    Jeez guys it's quite possible to not be sure of what you want to do without that meaning you'll be rubbish at the subject or that you won't commit to it once you start. I think you'd be best off asking universities if its possible, or researching it on the internet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maria91)
    Jeez guys it's quite possible to not be sure of what you want to do without that meaning you'll be rubbish at the subject or that you won't commit to it once you start. I think you'd be best off asking universities if its possible, or researching it on the internet.
    Yes that is very true, I will give you that. Perhaps what I said was harsh but before I considered the course I tried to get as much experience as possible to make sure I was doing the right thing. Maybe they did not get enough or they like the idea of just helping in healthcare....for that I think the courses are perfect if they are academically capable but more thought needs to be made into exactly which branch of healthcare to go into.

Meh, I got bored with commas.

ReputationRep:
    Because they decide they want to do dentistry rather than medicine?

ReputationRep:
    You could do both and go into maxillofacial surgery. :wizard:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.