The Student Room Group

help!!! year 12 student wanting to go into dentistry

I'm in year 12 and have just transfered from a very good school in central london back to my basic school in essex / east london, my grades previous were looking like AAAA but now AABB in AS level predictions

Im taking biology, chemistry, economics and psychology, and i will continue with biology, chemistry and economics at a-level

However with grades like AABB and probably AAB am I even a suitable candidate for dentistry?

Ive handed out work experience letters, but I'm not sure on how much we i actually need.

My GCSE grades were poor, 3A*, 6A, 1 B, 2 C

HOWEVER do university's take into consideration problems to do with familes ect, if you have written proof from goverment / police and things?
or would they be more understanding to AABB becuase of this?
or do they really just not care at all?

If anyone has been accepted into dentistry this year then:
what are you grades (gcse, as and a2)
how much work experience have you had
what are you extra curriculars
where did you apply / get into
ukcat scored
and finally anything extra
PLUS what school did you go to previously?
because i know that can often make a difference!

I already know I 100% want to go to Kings as i don't want to move out of london but i doubt that with those given grades so i am looking at other places further away!

any help + advice would be great :biggrin:

thanks!!!
Reply 1
laurennnxx
I'm in year 12 and have just transfered from a very good school in central london back to my basic school in essex / east london, my grades previous were looking like AAAA but now AABB in AS level predictions

Im taking biology, chemistry, economics and psychology, and i will continue with biology, chemistry and economics at a-level

However with grades like AABB and probably AAB am I even a suitable candidate for dentistry?

Ive handed out work experience letters, but I'm not sure on how much we i actually need.

HOWEVER do university's take into consideration problems to do with familes ect, if you have written proof from goverment / police and things?

ukcat scored

I already know I 100% want to go to Kings as i don't want to move out of london but i doubt that with those given grades so i am looking at other places further away!

thanks!!!

Your GCSE grades are good although some dentistry uni's specify A's in Eng, Maths and Science (check on their websites)

You have chosen good A-levels, try to get A's in Bio and Chem and at least a B in the third subject

Try to get around 2 weeks work exp (thats how much I have)

Kings seem to love people with tonnes of A*s in GCSE's but no harm in trying
Reply 2
laurennnxx

ukcat scored

thanks!!!

You stand a good ground, try and get alot of work experience because it gives you alot to talk about. Do extra curricular activites etc etc. Doesnt matter which school you go to, its how much hard work you put in. Speak to your teachers and see if they can change it? see what you get in you AS before worrying. But you stand a good chance. Also i wouldnt focus too much on trying to get into Kings coz its tough competition, any dental school is the best. Dentistry as a whole is hard to get into!

Latest