Turn on thread page Beta

When & how many hours do you study after school?(Plz post if aiming for AAAA-AS level watch

ReputationRep:
    I didnt do any extra studying after school when i did my A levels,except for the week of cramming before the exam, but that reflected on my poor grades. Though i would assume 2-3 hours or so a day would be sufficent depending on the subject. If only i could get that chance again, i would do atleast 2 hours a day on revision.
    Good luck op

ReputationRep:
    Bio, Chem,Physics,Maths(further) ermm lets see daily around about 4 hours .

ReputationRep:
    id say i do around 2 hours a day when exams arent near, and as exams come closer around 5-6 hours.

ReputationRep:
    I don't even do 4 hours a day now, at uni, whoever said that...

I did very little work outside of class. I never did any maths, because he never checked it, except the assessments which took about an hour once every few weeks. For AS physics I literally did no work, because it was an extra AS, mostly in year 11, so I turned up to the hour-long lesson once a week, handed in the homework which probably took me an hour, then crammed the morning before the exam and got an A. I didn't do the other subjects, but I did AS further maths, which was similar to AS physics as it was also an extra. History had the occasional past paper exercise, I never did the reading. German sometimes had brief writing exercises or worksheets, and music barely had any work except the ongoing coursework and the very occasional essay (like, about four in the whole year).

I certainly never set aside a regular period per day for work; I just did the bare minimum that was necessary, and was normally on t'internet at the same time as that.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly I'm lazy and way too busy to study for my A-levels, I think perhaps one hour/week oneach subject I'm doing(maths, chemistry, business & economics).

I have exams tomorrow lol and I'm on tsr. fail!:p:
    Nah but really I study less and rely on guessing answers, somehow I usually get 'em right.:cool:

On a more serious note, for A-levels it's recommded to study three hours/a night. Leading upto an exam five to six hours/a night.

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lifeadd1ct)
    5 hours after school not including having a [email protected]
    keep on doing that much, and ******* is the most youre ever gonna get!

ReputationRep:
    I did bio, chem, phys, maths and crit and got AAAAA at as, but i didnt really do any work after school - except for a bit of homework here and there.. When came to the exams, I started cramming about a week before they began?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jack1865)
    keep on doing that much, and [email protected] is the most youre ever gonna get!
    Absolutely flawed argument. Take a nerd for example. Due to his rigorous revision he manages to get into cambridge maths and get's a first. He is offered a job as a financial derivatives analytic or receives a very respected job in the IB industry. This nerd will be capable of earning massive sums of money and many females will be interested in ''getting some''

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lifeadd1ct)
    Absolutely flawed argument. Take a nerd for example. Due to his rigorous revision he manages to get into cambridge maths and get's a first. He is offered a job as a financial derivatives analytic or receives a very respected job in the IB industry. This nerd will be capable of earning massive sums of money and many females will be interested in ''getting some''
    i see your point, but if he's a complete nerd who doesn't have any experience with girls, he wont be getting much! plus it was only a joke, chill :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jack1865)
    i see your point, but if he's a complete nerd who doesn't have any experience with girls, he wont be getting much! plus it was only a joke, chill :P
    He doesn't need to have experience. Girls who would offer the services would be the ones with experience

Ps. I know it was a joke i was just bored

ReputationRep:
    i mostly did 2 hrs every day most of the work maths and did the rest of the other subject h/w and extra work in the holidays! this does vary from person to person

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the helpful posts so far
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I got aaaa as AS levels with maths, further maths, economics and classics. I did more work at home than school. That's a mixture of the fact that I worked hard at home and didn't work at all at school though. It depends on the person. I would have worked less if I knew I knew what I needed to, and I would have worked more if I didn't understand what I needed to. There's no set amount of hours work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princestia)
    When & how many hours do you study after school?(Plz post if aiming for AAAA-AS level

Would also prefer it if people taking biology,chemistry,psycholgy and maths posted preferably

On a regular school day, how many hours and when do you study/revise?
    Thanks
    Haha omg. Your taking exactly the same subjects as me! :yep:
    Well our sixth form says to do 4hrs per subject each week....

ReputationRep:
    about 2-3 hours of homework.
    if im being good maybe an hour of revision, but i usually leave all that till nearer the exam season, then i go crazy (usually have to due to my lack of revision throughout the year) i find though with 6th year i often have loads of tests everyweek so at the weekend usually do about 4-5 hours of work a day.

ReputationRep:
    I got 4 A's in my AS last year, the key to that was working months before the exams, in otherwords revising straight after you learned something new in your lessons, also try and read ahead, teach yourself new topics that you class hasn't moved on to yet, I did that I'm way ahead of everyone in my class because when it comes to your teacher teaching a topic you have already learnt, you will understand it better and quicker. I didn't take count of how many hours of work I did, in my opinion quality revision beats quantity revision. Not that quantity revision is not important, you should do a decent amount of hours of quality revision.

ReputationRep:
    I only do homework, unless there's a test I need to revise for.

I'm not actually sure I know how to 'study'. They teach me, I do the work, then I learn. Voila.

ReputationRep:
    I got AAAA for English Lit. Physics, Chemistry and Maths
    We were stilllearning the physics course right up to the week before the exams so not much revision was done for that
    Most of my revision for maths was done in class because my teacher was super organised like that. However, throughout the whole year I spent about 1 or 2 hours most nights on maths. It was the one subject I didn't mind working for
    I didn't revise English at all expect reread the novel and look at the notes made on the 24 poems we were set the morning of the exam. It was piss easy
    And chemistry, I just did every past paper available (I was given a booklet of about twenty) so I could see my weaknesses and work on them - about 1.5 hours a day the week of the exams

ReputationRep:
    I did very little work after school during the school year - we were given very little homework and I only worked in lessons. I just crammed 1/2 weeks before each exam and came out with AAABB.

It all depends what kind of person you are. If you are likely to get stressed then leaving it all till late is unlikely to do you any good.

Still, I think it is best to work throughout the year then it makes exam season a bit more pleasant - don't do any more work than you need to to get it into your head though... revision and work is about quality not quantity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ed_jnr)
    I did very little work after school during the school year - we were given very little homework and I only worked in lessons. I just crammed 1/2 weeks before each exam and came out with AAABB.

It all depends what kind of person you are. If you are likely to get stressed then leaving it all till late is unlikely to do you any good.

Still, I think it is best to work throughout the year then it makes exam season a bit more pleasant - don't do any more work than you need to to get it into your head though... revision and work is about quality not quantity.
    Agreed on the bold bit.

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.