Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was having a discussion with my mum about the limits of her love:

She said she would still love me if I tortured and murdered someone, however she said she wouldn't love me if I raped a little kid... This made me think about the general attitude towards paedophiles relative to other serious offenders..It seems that the general populace (including mainstream media) portray paedophiles as "worse then murderers"...

in the US they can be held indefinately in "hospitals" <-- Louis Theroux did a documentary on it

they can be banned from using the internet <-- a human right.

when they move, you must introduce yourself as a sex offender. I don't believe murderers have to do the same thing. For all you know, there could be a serial killer living next to you...

Does anyone agree with me? I think people should ease up on paedos. Sure, they're pretty creepy dudes, but they don't deserve the amount of **** that gets flung at them.

ReputationRep:
    I'd just recommend you don't rape any kids.

ReputationRep:
    That man in your sig is a pedo

ReputationRep:
    Another thing: If paedophiles are "the worst of the worst", its saddening they don't get the "respect" that murderers get once released. If they are going to be "the worst of the worst" they should at least have an aura of intimidation associated with them. unfortunately this is not the case.

"Why were you in prison"
    "I murdered someone with my bare hands"
    "...Wow" *intimidated*

compared to

"Why were you in Prison"
    "I fiddled with some kids with my bare hands"
    "hahaha dude you are sick"

ReputationRep:
    It's a good thing they are treated harshly, but yeah there is a lot of media hype and i'm not sure about it being worse then murder, but if it's more common then the problem should be addressed more seriously, me thinks.

ReputationRep:
    IMHO, paedophiles suffer from a mental illness. They need to be helped and cured primarily, even if they've committed an offence, although obviously if they have committed an offence then they need to be treated in a secure location.

ReputationRep:
    Probably, though I'm sure I hear an angry mob heading for you right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    IMHO, paedophiles suffer from a mental illness. They need to be helped and cured primarily, even if they've committed an offence, although obviously if they have committed an offence then they need to be treated in a secure location.
    Your 'honest opinion' was the same 'honest opinion' about homosexuals less than 50 years ago.

Paedophiles do not need to be treated for anything. They have a sexual attraction to children, but that does not mean they are a threat to children. I have a sexual attraction to women, but I am not a threat to them, and the same is true of a vast majority of paedophiles.

People who actually molest children should be punished, but the line between child molesters, and paedophiles is as clear cut as the line between straight men, and straight men who rape women.

Paedophilia is not a problem. Child molestation is. Paedophiles should be left in peace. Child molestors should be dealt with. Paedophiles are treated too harshly. Child molesters are not treated harshly enough. Paedophiles are normal, functioning members of society. Child molesters are delinquents.

People, please mark the difference between these two very different groups of people in the same way that you mark the difference between men who are attracted to women, and men who rape women.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, ruining someones life is worse than taking it...
    I don't think all paedophiles need shot, I think those who do not act on their ... whatever it is... should have access to professional help.
    However, anyone that abuses a child deserves punishment.

ReputationRep:
    Sig sums up your point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    Your 'honest opinion' was the same 'honest opinion' about homosexuals less than 50 years ago.

Paedophiles do not need to be treated for anything. They have a sexual attraction to children, but that does not mean they are a threat to children. I have a sexual attraction to women, but I am not a threat to them, and the same is true of a vast majority of paedophiles.

People who actually molest children should be punished, but the line between child molesters, and paedophiles is as clear cut as the line between straight men, and straight men who rape women.

Paedophilia is not a problem. Child molestation is. Paedophiles should be left in peace. Child molestors should be dealt with.
    good post. We need to remove the stigma associated with paedophilia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ogloom)
    I was having a discussion with my mum about the limits of her love:

She said she would still love me if I tortured and murdered someone, however she said she wouldn't love me if I raped a little kid... This made me think about the general attitude towards paedophiles relative to other serious offenders..It seems that the general populace (including mainstream media) portray paedophiles as "worse then murderers"...

in the US they can be held indefinitely in "hospitals" <-- Louis Theroux did a documentary on it

they can be banned from using the internet <-- a human right.

when they move, you must introduce yourself as a sex offender. I don't believe murderers have to do the same thing. For all you know, there could be a serial killer living next to you...

Does anyone agree with me? I think people should ease up on paedos. Sure, they're pretty creepy dudes, but they don't deserve the amount of **** that gets flung at them.

Is that because you're one?

ReputationRep:
    It's not a mental illness.

ReputationRep:
    Then Paedophiles need to be eliminated from the gene pool. Anyway, it's ********.

Paedophiles who don't rape children - Just stfu about it and you'll do fine.

Paedophiles who DO rape children - You deserve to ******* die. Painfully if practically possible, but I'm no too fussed about that.

ReputationRep:
    I think Kingston was dealt too harshly with, should really be subjective, on the level of abuse/age/consent.

ReputationRep:
    People can murder out of vengence, that's better understood than a paedo's motive for abuse, I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    By raping, that experience will affect that kid for the rest of it's life, so no I don't think it's too harsh.

ReputationRep:
    the OP's gonna get it!

...neg rep i mean :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    I'd just recommend you don't rape any kids.
    I lold.
    To be fair child abuse basically completely ***** up a person's development making them likely to have severe mental issues in later life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ogloom)
    Another thing: If paedophiles are "the worst of the worst", its saddening they don't get the "respect" that murderers get once released. If they are going to be "the worst of the worst" they should at least have an aura of intimidation associated with them. unfortunately this is not the case.

"Why were you in prison"
    "I murdered someone with my bare hands"
    "...Wow" *intimidated*

compared to

"Why were you in Prison"
    "I fiddled with some kids with my bare hands"
    "hahaha dude you are sick"
    Thats mainly because murdering someone is seen as being pretty badass. It requires committment, and is something that is not at all easy.

Fiddling kids is clearly much easier than murdering someone, and easier to sweep under the carpet.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.