Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It's no worse than violating anybody else's liberty. It just seems as if it is because we have been brought up with the idea of children as sacred and innocent. This wasn't the case so long ago where they were allowed to have their own relationships.

ReputationRep:
    Were you asking your mum this because you want to molest children and now you're upset she won't love you anymore?

ReputationRep:
    Most the times its just as good as murdering someone, those little kids are often ****** up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candytreeman)
    I know, for example, of this study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/en...t=AbstractPlus

As for the 'gay gene', I don't know if that has gained any more evidence recently. Hopefully someone else on here with knowledge of these subjects can help. I'd be guessing if I tried to go any further than what I picked up from random news articles..

But it is very interesting to consider.
    Familial =/= Genetic.

ReputationRep:
    Obvious troll is obvious.

But to treat this seriously, being a paedophile i.e. having the inclination is treated too harshly in my opinion. I do believe it is something that can't be helped and deserves pity.

People who choose to act on those urges should have their ball cut off.

ReputationRep:
    you have conversations like THAT with your mum???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bslforever)
    Well in that case have a look at the comparisons.

How many murderers get away with it. Very few.

How many paedophiles get away with it. Loads.
    This reminds me of brasseye.

"Crimes we know nothing about are spiralling out of control."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infernalcradle)
    paedos should get castrated like in eastern europe...it actually works
    murderers and rapists should just get killed...a life for a life
    But then who kills the person who killed the rapist? And then who kills the person who killed the person who killed the rapist? That doesn't work!

ReputationRep:
    You won't be saying that when your future daughter/son is being harassed by one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    IMHO, paedophiles suffer from a mental illness. They need to be helped and cured primarily, even if they've committed an offence, although obviously if they have committed an offence then they need to be treated in a secure location.

That's correct in some ways, the vast majority of peadophiles are incapable of empathy and do not care for consequence, but they (the vast majority) are not mentally ill as they can make rational choices. These people are probable sufferers of ASPD or Psychopathy

ReputationRep:
    they deserve everything they get and worse

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe how left wing this board is with all the people arguning for the rights of peadophiles. Fact is they are messed up mentaly and potentially dangerous to a defenceless sector of society. They should be villified to the extream and anyone who molests a child should forfit their human rights and be subject to torture. Who said justice has to be about rehabilitation, whats wrong with punishing someone for a serious crime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ogloom)
    I was having a discussion with my mum about the limits of her love:

She said she would still love me if I tortured and murdered someone, however she said she wouldn't love me if I raped a little kid... This made me think about the general attitude towards paedophiles relative to other serious offenders..It seems that the general populace (including mainstream media) portray paedophiles as "worse then murderers"...

in the US they can be held indefinitely in "hospitals" <-- Louis Theroux did a documentary on it

they can be banned from using the internet <-- a human right.

when they move, you must introduce yourself as a sex offender. I don't believe murderers have to do the same thing. For all you know, there could be a serial killer living next to you...

Does anyone agree with me? I think people should ease up on paedos. Sure, they're pretty creepy dudes, but they don't deserve the amount of **** that gets flung at them.
    The internet, the right and access to the internet is not a human right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rudeandidleboy)
    I can't believe how left wing this board is with all the people arguning for the rights of peadophiles. Fact is they are messed up mentaly and potentially dangerous to a defenceless sector of society. They should be villified to the extream and anyone who molests a child should forfit their human rights and be subject to torture. Who said justice has to be about rehabilitation, whats wrong with punishing someone for a serious crime.
    This is the kind of prejudice and harrasement paedophiles have to live with. We need to start teaching people to be tolerant of everyones sexual preferences.

(Original post by hothedgehog)
    But then who kills the person who killed the rapist? And then who kills the person who killed the person who killed the rapist? That doesn't work!

What a poor argument.

This is why whenever anybody says 'an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind' I end up rolling my eyes repeatedly.

It's not an eye for an eye for an eye for an eye. It's simply an eye for an eye. End. It doesn't for further than that.

Maybe you're unfamilliar with the term murder, let me clarify

Murder, as defined in common law countries, is the unlawful killing of another human being with intent (or malice aforethought), and generally this state of mind distinguishes murder from other forms of unlawful homicide (such as manslaughter).

Notice the 'unlawful'? Notice the need for Mens Rea in there?
    :rolleyes:

Such a shame that the majority of those who argue against the death penalty have hideously poor arguments.

Why not try instead

"The justice system is not infallible, it lets the guilty off and imprisons the innocent at times, see: O.J. Simpson & Amanda Knox"

Maybe then it would be something objective and worthy of debate//reading and not eye-rolling at.

WRT OP: No, they aren't treated too harshly. In some central/eastern european countries they have been castrated and they have improved in terms of their desires and some of them even encourage other paedos to do the same. Should be a free service imo.

If they molest/rape/kill they ought to be put in front of a firing squad.

ReputationRep:
    I am tolerant of people sexual prefeneces as long as they are not damaging to others. I am intolerant of peadophiles in the same way as im intolerant to men who use date rape drugs for instance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ogloom)
    I was having a discussion with my mum about the limits of her love:

She said she would still love me if I tortured and murdered someone, however she said she wouldn't love me if I raped a little kid... This made me think about the general attitude towards paedophiles relative to other serious offenders..It seems that the general populace (including mainstream media) portray paedophiles as "worse then murderers"...

in the US they can be held indefinitely in "hospitals" <-- Louis Theroux did a documentary on it

they can be banned from using the internet <-- a human right.

when they move, you must introduce yourself as a sex offender. I don't believe murderers have to do the same thing. For all you know, there could be a serial killer living next to you...

Does anyone agree with me? I think people should ease up on paedos. Sure, they're pretty creepy dudes, but they don't deserve the amount of **** that gets flung at them.
    creepy dudes? *coughs* don't be sexist, there are women to, ya know.

To be frank, if you killed/murder/raped/ anything at this current law system, i will treat you patheticly depends on your motive. Paedo's dont have to use internet....they can be on the public streets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    IMHO, paedophiles suffer from a mental illness. They need to be helped and cured primarily, even if they've committed an offence, although obviously if they have committed an offence then they need to be treated in a secure location.
    In a way, I agree with you. In that I don't think their attraction to children can be helped by themselves. However, I still think if they commit an offence, they should be punished just like everybody else who commits rape. I think people assume that all paedophiles act on their urges which I don't believe is true, but I do know that a large amount do, and these ones should be punished harshly.

(Original post by Dumdedoobie)
    In a way, I agree with you. In that I don't think their attraction to children can be helped by themselves. However, I still think if they commit an offence, they should be punished just like everybody else who commits rape. I think people assume that all paedophiles act on their urges which I don't believe is true, but I do know that a large amount do, and these ones should be punished harshly.

Exactly this.

Some of the people on this thread compare being a paedophile and molesting to being straight and raping. A more apt comparison would be to be really into rape-fantasy but want it to be real and to fantasize about that (not your focus in reality, rather, fantasizing is more for personal gratification) vs actually going out and raping.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no they get their human rights taken away - my heart bleeds (sarcasm)

no i don't agree with any of that especially the 'they shd have more of an intimidating air about them' argument they're monsters and you could argue that ruining a child's entire life by giving them their own problems because of this horrific experience meaning they'll suffer for their entire life is worse than murder

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.