Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Going to be living there hopefully this year. So i'm just wondering a few things about living in the halls. (not burnley campus)
    I'm not saying you have to answer them all (although please do so if your bored lol) but i'd really appreciate it if you help me out. Thanks.

• What do you get in the 'flat'? (e.g. cooker, fridge, plates, kettle, tv, couch, bed... etc...?)
    • How many people do you live with in a flat?
    • Is it easy to make friends? i'm going to be alone as no one i know will be going Uclan and don't want to be on my own for three years.. lol
    • Do you have to pay for water/heating/gas/eletric/telephone use? (if so how much? approx)
    • How far away from the actual university is the halls? how far walking?
    • I heard theres a coach that goes to all different places that runs everyday for £3 (instead of paying money on the train) (to queys, manchester) is this true?
    • What do you do about dirty clothes/bedsheets? do you get a washer?
    • Is there a toilet in the flat? (I heard in some you have to go accross the corridor just to go to the toilet)
    • I assume theres a lock on the doors to keep people out of your room? I like my privacy.
    • How much is it to live there for the whole 3 years? (I heard its around £3000 per year?)
    • CLEANESS: i'm a tidy person. What can I do if someone doens't clean up properly?
    • Friends from other universitys staying round. is it allowed? (how many days is allowed?)
    • Do you get nervous when you first move in? going into a strange place with all of my belongings? do I bring my mum and dad with me? or just go by myself? lol
    • Is health care free? and is the dentist free?
    • Do you get to choose who you live with? how is it chosen who you live with? as I don't know no one, i don't want to be some random kid who lives with 4 friends lol...
    • Do you live with both male and females?

Just a few questions i'd really like help answering please. I will be on here frequently and will look at all of the answers.

Thanks very much.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a student at the university any more, but can hopefully answer your questions. Someone else might end up updating things, but I only graduated last year, so maybe not.

Saw that you posted in GD today linking to this thread, but I couldn't reply at the time!

Anyway...

What do you get in the 'flat'? (e.g. cooker, fridge, plates, kettle, tv, couch, bed... etc...?)

This will vary dependent on which accommodation you end up in. All will have basic white goods (fridges, microwaves, cookers...) but you'll need to bring your own cutlery and crockery. Kettles/toasters will be included in some properties, but not all, and MOST flats will also have a lounge area with sofas/comfy chairs, but some simply have dining space. Beds will, of course, be included, but TVs will generally not be.

How many people do you live with in a flat?

Again, this varies from place to place. Anything between three and eight, in general. I was in a flat with six other people throughout every year of my study.

Is it easy to make friends? i'm going to be alone as no one i know will be going Uclan and don't want to be on my own for three years.. lol

This will completely depend on you. I started university as a relatively shy individual. By the time I graduated, I knew almost everyone. :p:
    The key is just to find what you like, and do it. Take opportunities, and get involved. If you like going out and drinking, don't avoid mingling/going out with acquaintances of acquaintances, and if you want to get involved with things around the university, do so.

Do you have to pay for water/heating/gas/eletric/telephone use? (if so how much? approx)

Halls usually have utility fees covered. You'll be unlikely to get a free phone, though - most either have payphones on site, or (particularly in university-owned properties) landline phones running on cards.

How far away from the actual university is the halls? how far walking?

5 minutes, tops.

I heard theres a coach that goes to all different places that runs everyday for £3 (instead of paying money on the train) (to queys, manchester) is this true?

Not a clue, sorry.

What do you do about dirty clothes/bedsheets? do you get a washer?

There are laundrettes on the site of most halls. Generally, a full (large) wash and dry will set you back around £3.

Is there a toilet in the flat? (I heard in some you have to go accross the corridor just to go to the toilet)

Most halls have flats with shared toilets, but there are en-suite flats, too, where you'll have your own bathroom (Roeburn, Trinity, Foundry...). These cost a bit more.

I assume theres a lock on the doors to keep people out of your room? I like my privacy.

Absolutely.

How much is it to live there for the whole 3 years? (I heard its around £3000 per year?)

This one will depend entirely on you. I was paying around £80 per week in rent (£4160 per year) and £5 per week on food (£260 per year) with very few other costs, aside from the occasional transport/course materials, but other people might need to live off much more. I couldn't do that now, for instance!

CLEANESS: i'm a tidy person. What can I do if someone doens't clean up properly?

Unfortunately, this does happen and there's rarely anything you can do about it. Holding 'flat meetings' or speaking to someone in private can make them aware that they're being inconsiderate, but some people are just like that.

Friends from other universitys staying round. is it allowed? (how many days is allowed?)

The general rule for most halls is that you shouldn't treat your property as somewhere to 'rent out' - one or two days is fine, but don't have people over for a week. Security will usually be fine with you having people to stay, as long as your flatmates have agreed - in which case, it's not worth asking!

Do you get nervous when you first move in? going into a strange place with all of my belongings? do I bring my mum and dad with me? or just go by myself? lol

Personally, I wasn't nervous. The university do summer schools which can help people to make friends so that they know people by the time September comes around. Otherwise, they host events such as BBQs on 'moving-in day' allowing people to gather in courtyards and meet others. Otherwise, just sit in your living room and chat!
    If you're worried, take your parents along with you - but don't let them stay any longer than they have to; having them around can seriously hinder your first chances to meet people.

Is health care free? and is the dentist free?

The university has an NHS Health Centre on site, but there are no NHS Dentists in Preston with spaces. You'll have to register private.

Do you get to choose who you live with? how is it chosen who you live with? as I don't know no one, i don't want to be some random kid who lives with 4 friends lol...

In university-run halls, you won't have a choice, no. Selections are random. In some private halls, you can request when you apply to stay with people that you know, but for the most part people just choose to be thrown in with random people and go from there.

Do you live with both male and females?

Again, this will depend on property - including right down to specific flat. Generally, private halls offer much more option with regards to this than university-owned ones do.

ReputationRep:
    Great answers! Thank you very much! Helped me a lot
    +Rep

ReputationRep:
    • What do you get in the 'flat'? (e.g. cooker, fridge, plates, kettle, tv, couch, bed... etc...?)

White goods and furniture, no bedding, no plates, kettle toaster etc
    • How many people do you live with in a flat?

In UCLAN between 4 and 7 depending on the hall
    • Is it easy to make friends? i'm going to be alone as no one i know will be going Uclan and don't want to be on my own for three years.. lol

About 95% of us were in the same boat sometime or other!
    • Do you have to pay for water/heating/gas/eletric/telephone use? (if so how much? approx)

In Halls not usually, in houses virtually always - check your contract
    • How far away from the actual university is the halls? how far walking?

UCLAN Halls are all on campus, private halls are all but on campus, houses are mostly within 15 mins walk
    • I heard theres a coach that goes to all different places that runs everyday for £3 (instead of paying money on the train) (to queys, manchester) is this true?

Ive never heard of this, might be new though?
    • What do you do about dirty clothes/bedsheets? do you get a washer?

There are two laundretts on campus, next to Eden and at Roeburn (I think some of the other halls have their own)
    • Is there a toilet in the flat? (I heard in some you have to go accross the corridor just to go to the toilet)

There is always a toilet in the flat in uclan halls, just depends how many to share with

• I assume theres a lock on the doors to keep people out of your room? I like my privacy.

again, on UCLAN halls yes
    • How much is it to live there for the whole 3 years? (I heard its
      around £3000 per year?)

According to the website rents this year are between £72 and £85 per week - woking out at between £3k and £3.5k for rent per year - expect a rise next year though, there always is!
    • CLEANESS: i'm a tidy person. What can I do if someone doens't clean up properly?

Talk to them about it.
    • Friends from other universitys staying round. is it allowed? (how many days is allowed?)

We never had a problem, but some people take the piss a bit.
    • Do you get nervous when you first move in? going into a strange place with all of my belongings? do I bring my mum and dad with me? or just go by myself? lol

You wouldnt be human if you didnt get nervous, most people bring someone to help them move in, but they soon disappear and leave you to get on with meeting everyone!
    • Is health care free? and is the dentist free?

Depends on your income usually, check whether you are entitled to free healthcare by filling in a HC1 - the same as you would need to at home once you hit 18.
    • Do you get to choose who you live with? how is it chosen who you live with? as I don't know no one, i don't want to be some random kid who lives with 4 friends lol...

Random in UCLAN halls, if you have a group of mates you can usually request elsewhere, we always just went mob handed and found a place for the 6 of us.
    • Do you live with both male and females?

You can ask for single sex only if you want.

Just a few questions i'd really like help answering please. I will be on here frequently and will look at all of the answers.

Thanks very much. [/QUOTE]

I think they are probably the same as the previous person but I was bored!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your help aswell.

ReputationRep:
    A couple of questions? lmao!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 27, 2010

University open days

1. Central Lancashire (UCLan)
    Preston campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 7 Oct '18
  2. Central Lancashire (UCLan)
    Preston campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 10 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.