Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What should I study at Uni watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm pretty confused about what i want to do at Uni. I'm only in my first year of sixth form, and I do chemistry, biology, psychology and economics. I want to go into financing in the future or something like that, but I'm not sure. I will definitely drop economics as I really hate it. I like Biology, but I'm not sure if it's a good degree to do if you want to go into financing. I'm not sure what else I could do with my subjects.

Does anyone have any advice.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    chemistry.......let my dreams live through you
    honestly you have a long time to decide this time last year I only wanted to do pharmacy...my point is over the year you'll change your mind and theirs a wide scope of courses you can take with your subjects so just have a look at what type of job you wanna do, what things you enjoy etc

ReputationRep:
    1)What subject is your favourite?
    2)What subject are you best at?
    3)What do you want to do as a career?

Combine those three=good decision.

I would say that for finance jobs, you don't necessarily need a specific degree (unless you want to work in accountacy or something), so that's something to bear in mind.

ReputationRep:
    If you really aren't sure do a subject that is quite broad, if I was in your shoes I would take a straight chemistry, physics or biology course that way its not specific to a particular job. At the end of the day do what you enjoy most and best at What is the point of doing a degree you are going to hate for three years?

If my experiences are worth anything to you, I have no idea what kind of job I want to do. I have thought about many different wide ranging jobs, ranging from a detective for the police force to sports journalism. But I am not 100% sure what it is I want to do, so by choosing to do a History degree I have not only left the police and journalism option open but if I do change my mind over my three years of study History will allow me to move into almost any field.

Hope that helped

ReputationRep:
    you study what ever you want, simple as that really

ReputationRep:
    well to have a job in finance you do not have to have a financial degree. remember that !!

ReputationRep:
    I reccomend Cake Decorating.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Do something you're passionate about and will do well in and can do at a good university. You don't have to study something finance-related to have a financial career after university; some financial careers may require a quantitative degree, but Chemistry is regarded as quantitative despite being a science degree.

If you want to do Biology, then do Biology. Go to a good university, do your best, and you'll go into finance if you really want to.

ReputationRep:
    If you're not enjoying Economics, what makes you think you'll enjoy finance?

Dont have a fixed career in mind so to speak as it will change in time. Do a subject you enjoy and dont make it a means to an end.

And anyway, no one really knows what they want to do. It took me ages to decide on Geography. Anthropology, Philosophy, Economic Histoy, Politics, Theology all went through my mind and I still dont know what I really want to do. Its a good thing I have so much free choice in my modules :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    If you really hate economics, maybe finance isn't for you, OP?

ReputationRep:
    lol sorry

but you want to go into finance but dont want to do economics ?

lol you realise that economics is the base of finance.

how about doing something different like politics philosophy and economics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by papajames)
    lol sorry

but you want to go into finance but dont want to do economics ?

lol you realise that economics is the base of finance.

how about doing something different like politics philosophy and economics
    It's not that I dont enjoy economics, it's just that I would prefer to carry on my other 3 subjects as I find them easier.

But thanks everyone for your replies!

ReputationRep:
    wot about medicine, dentistry or pharmacy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vandiola)
    I want to go into financing in the future.
    (Original post by vandiola)
    I will definitely drop economics as I really hate it. s

Don't you think you need to think about that a bit more then??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geetar)
    1)What subject is your favourite?
    2)What subject are you best at?
    3)What do you want to do as a career?

Combine those three=good decision.

I would say that for finance jobs, you don't necessarily need a specific degree (unless you want to work in accountacy or something), so that's something to bear in mind.
    I would say that's a good set of steps there

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.