Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please keep anon, I don't know if I've got the wrong end of the stick :o:

So the recent earthquake in Haiti is really sad and it's awful that so many people died and many more left homeless... but should we, the United Kingdom, really be giving them money when there are so many problems we need to sort out here? When we are still coming out of a recession?

I'm sure the millions of pounds they've been given would be far more useful to our own economy, or the NHS. I don't like how people are so eager to give to people abroad but less so to UK charities.

If the UK got itself into some trouble, who would help us out? Haiti certainly wouldn't. Recently we were covered in snow and in desperate need of salt but there wasn't anyone bailing us out, so why do we feel the need to meddle in everything (Iraq...)?

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you, you are totally wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

So the recent earthquake in Haiti is really sad and it's awful that so many people died and many more left homeless... but should we, the United Kingdom, really be giving them money when there are so many problems we need to sort out here? When we are still coming out of a recession?

I'm sure the millions of pounds they've been given would be far more useful to our own economy, or the NHS. I don't like how people are so eager to give to people abroad but less so to UK charities.

If the UK got itself into some trouble, who would help us out? Haiti certainly wouldn't. Recently we were covered in snow and in desperate need of salt but there wasn't anyone bailing us out, so why do we feel the need to meddle in everything (Iraq...)?
    LOL

Perspective is needed. No it wouldn't be more useful given to the NHS, and Haiti is a poor country; of course they wouldn't help us out. I doubt anyone could expect them to. People do donate to charity, it's just not as obvious.

Edit - I would try to remember the comparison between tens of thousands of people losing their lives, families and homes; and a recession(which doesnt seem as bad as it could be IMO) which is nowhere near the devastation caused by a earthquake. It's quite ridiculous to query giving aid like this as we are more developed by far. We are not to blame for the recession but yet the tax payer is bailing out banks? Same scenario, smaller scale.

ReputationRep:
    Haiti couldn't afford to help out the UK if they wanted to anyway.

If you think about it another way, it's like the equivalent of a working class family paying the bills for a rich family because one of the adults lost their job and they're surviving on one wage, which would still be a lot higher than the working class family.

[Sorry if that's a really crap example, it sounded better in my head.]

ReputationRep:
    No. You're just not as compassionate and kind as others.

Don't worry. I will donate money on your behalf.

ReputationRep:
    Recently we were covered in snow and in desperate need of salt but there wasn't anyone bailing us out, so why do we feel the need to meddle in everything (Iraq...)?
    yeah, road salt is on the same level as food, water, rescue equipment and medical supplies. the fact that so many people are giving help to Haiti is simple, because they need it. the snow was just a slight inconvenience for us in the grand scheme of things. 200,000 people estimated dead already in Haiti, how many people died because of icy roads here? zero, maybe 1 at most (i can't be bothered to go look.)

I wouldnt say heartless cow, just selfish, very very selfish

ReputationRep:
    Because Haiti needs the money significantly more for essential services, making their need significantly greater, and more immediate, that than of the UK.

ReputationRep:
    TC is a braindead idiot...

Does this make me heartless?

ReputationRep:

You're right. The desperate shortage of salt in Britain has led to the deaths of 200,000 and left several million more homeless and at risk of illness and starvation. It's undeniably more important to save our money for our own needs rather than use it to save thousands and thousands of lives, and I hope that if anything similar happened in Britain, we'd all be left to rot by other countries that could afford to help but didn't want to.

You represent everything I hate about this country. I hope your parents are proud of you.

ReputationRep:
    maybe you just have empathy problems? they are in alot more need then we are.

ReputationRep:
    yes, yes it does

ReputationRep:
    You guys are way too kind on her, maybe it's because I'm new to the forum and that's just how everyone is. o_o Would've got eaten alive if this was posted somewhere else...

ReputationRep:

It doesn't make you heartless, it makes you stupid.

If you think what we have are problems in comparison to what Haiti have you have a warped sense of reality.

This is what a real problem looks like:
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7ff_1263791538
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=33c_1263694522
    http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3fa_1263740575
    [Watch out, graphic images]

To put it into perspective, less people died in Hiroshima (when the nuclear bomb hit the city) than in Haiti as a result of the earthquake. Thousands and thousands.
    http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/stories/s2794660.htm

tbh your ignorance is disgusting

ReputationRep:
    Actually I agree with you, call me a ***** but I really do think you're right. My old school was in desperate need of money, and we had to take in memory cards to print off our own "sponsored silence for africa" sheets because we used up our budget for paper. Same went with all our schoolwork but I found the charity thing ironic.

ReputationRep:
    We may be struggling with the recession, but we haven't had our houses destroyed or lost our loved ones and had our lives ruined...

You're comparing our snow problems to an earthquake that killed thousands of people?! Seriously?

ReputationRep:
    How could you be so heartless?

Just kidding. Well, I don't agree with your opinion, but at least you're not being rude. Like others have said, Haiti is much poorer than the UK, and Haiti is in disaster so we've gotta help them out. Human nature, you know?

ReputationRep:
    Its a black people problem tbqf. Unlike the Japanese, they rarely learn the lessons required to prevent future disasters. It would be an enormous waste of our resources sadly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ياسمين)
    Actually I agree with you, call me a ***** but I really do think you're right. My old school was in desperate need of money, and we had to take in memory cards to print off our own "sponsored silence for africa" sheets because we used up our budget for paper. Same went with all our schoolwork but I found the charity thing ironic.
    Jesus. Are you really that stupid? You and the OP genuinely think that the "problems" (not being able to drive around for a week or so, or having to USE YOUR OWN MEMORY CARDS, the shock, the horror) people face in the UK are in any way comparable to being at risk of STARVING TO DEATH???

ReputationRep:
    Yes our economy is in trouble but it's not really endangering anybody's life. We still have the essentials (food, water etc) whereas the people in Haiti need much more help, just to survive.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.