The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Please tell me you're kidding?!

We have SO much here, many people affected by that earthquake have nothing.

Stop being so selfish.

x
Reply 41
Anonymous
Please keep anon, I don't know if I've got the wrong end of the stick :o:

So the recent earthquake in Haiti is really sad and it's awful that so many people died and many more left homeless... but should we, the United Kingdom, really be giving them money when there are so many problems we need to sort out here? When we are still coming out of a recession?

I'm sure the millions of pounds they've been given would be far more useful to our own economy, or the NHS. I don't like how people are so eager to give to people abroad but less so to UK charities.

If the UK got itself into some trouble, who would help us out? Haiti certainly wouldn't. Recently we were covered in snow and in desperate need of salt but there wasn't anyone bailing us out, so why do we feel the need to meddle in everything (Iraq...)?

yeah i understand completely. mother wouldn't buy me a gold plated ferrari just because she says i need to be more conscientious.. i mean come on? We need the money here.. some people still live in places like manchester would you believe it! so common!
I don't know...from what I can remember there wasn't many charities for 7/7 bombings...was there??
Reply 43
you are just very, very stupid which in this instance results in you being heartless
Reply 44
I find this nationalistic "we should spend the money on our own country instead of helping others who are in need" view quite petty and pathetic tbh :frown:
Reply 45
It just shows your less compassionate than others. The UK is probably 100 times better financially than Haiti at the moment, surely a couple of millions will make a difference to the people there. I don't think you realise the true extent of damage there and without basic aid people would be dying through diseases, malnutrition and over here we have luxuries that people in Haiti can only dream about.
Reply 46
I don't think it makes you a heartless cow, you just come across as a bit stupid and/or ignorant in your post. I don't know if that makes you feel better...
No, cows have heart actually :emo:
You're just selfish & ignorant.
Reply 48
nativeLondoner
Its a black people problem tbqf. Unlike the Japanese, they rarely learn the lessons required to prevent future disasters. It would be an enormous waste of our resources sadly.

WTF! Please tell me how you prevent an earthquake?
vicky1986
WTF! Please tell me how you prevent an earthquake?

Nature itself cannot be tamed but most advanced societies can take steps to prepare the population in advance, evacuation, land use etc. The Japanese have been very successful at this post Kobe, for example. This particular earthquake had been expected for some time.
Reply 51
I consider mass death more important than organising the financial system :lolwut:

nativeLondoner
Nature itself cannot be tamed but most advanced societies can take steps to prepare the population in advance, evacuation, land use etc. The Japanese have been very successful at this post Kobe, for example. This particular earthquake had been expected for some time.

Japan is one of the only countires who would rather focus on predicting earthquakes than of preventing them, they're doing a bad job at it so far.

EmiPark
I don't know...from what I can remember there wasn't many charities for 7/7 bombings...was there??

The scale of that event was tiny.
Reply 52
Should we send people there to help with the clean up? Yes
Should we give them money? No

Damn, you are anon! I would have +repped you
Reply 53
nativeLondoner

You cannot predict an earthquake to a specific date, or even month. Anyway, Japan frequently have earthquakes (more frequent than Haiti who has them approximately 200 years apart or more). Also, they have never had an earthquake of this magnitude before.

Do you know anything of the history of Haiti?! If you know it, you will know why they have nothing
Reply 54
Haiti is the poorest country but the area of 27,000 sq km is inhabited by 10 mln people!!!
When you can't feed your offspring what is the point of making so many babies.
They have nothing to eat but give birth to 7-8 children !!
And the West is supposed to feed them , to give them aid etc.
The situation is the same in some African countries. They starve , West helps with food supplies so that indigenous people get used to living off benefits and give birth to 6-7 children more , and the starvation becomes greater and greater and the West is obliged to supply with more and more food , money and medical help.
Cut the help and leave them cope with problems on their own. It is for their own good!
Reply 55
The people in Haiti need help or they will die.
You cannot compare that to us running out of salt for a few days. We still had food and water. And people did donate their time to help elderly and vulnerable people out to make sure they were warm enough, had enough food, etc.

Most people don't give money to get something back, we are well aware that Haiti can't return the favour to us if we ever needed international aid. Its about saving lives.
Hmm.....build up supplies of Salt in preparation of next snowfall or help people who have lost their homes and livelyhood and are staving?

Tough choice.

Is the OP a heartless cow? I think they answered that themselves.
Reply 57
etnies
Haiti is the poorest country but the area of 27,000 sq km is inhabited by 10 mln people!!!
When you can't feed your offspring what is the point of making so many babies.
They have nothing to eat but give birth to 7-8 children !!
And the West is supposed to feed them , to give them aid etc.
The situation is the same in some African countries. They starve , West helps with food supplies so that indigenous people get used to living off benefits and give birth to 6-7 children more , and the starvation becomes greater and greater and the West is obliged to supply with more and more food , money and medical help.
Cut the help and leave them cope with problems on their own. It is for their own good!

You clearly have a limited understanding on poverty in LEDC's. There are many reasons they have lots of babies.The main reason is because it is natural to have lots and lots of sex. Condoms are rare and often expensive. They can't just go down to the family planning clinic and get the pill. Medicine for disease is the main priority, not contraception. They can't just get abortions when they do get pregnant.

Secondly, regardless of food supply, children die easily. If you only have 2 children, there is a high probability you will be left with none.

Lastly, the more children you have, the more income you can have coming in because they can help in farms and businesses. This is perceived as economic sense but often it doesn't work out that way.

You give the impression that they are living the high life off our money, and so decide to have more kids to life off our benefits. But in reality the huge majority never see a penny of our money. Get some education.

Cutting aid will not be for anyone's good. It will cause more poverty, starvation, and disease. Your logic is very twisted. You cannot work your way out of poverty on the scale you are talking about. Africa is so unstable because everyone is poor so big business cannot move in effectively.
I'm hope your political influence is minimal.
heh I never knew Students could be so bad.
i agree with you, i think we need to sort things out here first

i would rather give my money to UK charities (animal ones) than to the haiti disaster

Latest

Trending

Trending