Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    heartless...meh, who knows

a bit stupid...most likely, what with the two pretty incomparable 'problems' given and all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Recently we were covered in snow and in desperate need of salt but there wasn't anyone bailing us out,
    :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Pmsl.

I love it when the inconvinience of not having as much disposable income as one is used to is compared to people dying.

ReputationRep:
    Recently we were covered in snow and in desperate need of salt but there wasn't anyone bailing us out
    Only in Britain is an inch of snow compared to a natural disaster killing hundreds of thousands of people. :rolleyes:

Your country's reaction to snow is the most pathetic thing I've ever seen. Get a grip.

ReputationRep:
    Please keep anon, I don't know if I've got the wrong end of the stick :o:

So the recent earthquake in Haiti is really sad and it's awful that so many people died and many more left homeless... but should we, the United Kingdom, really be giving them money when there are so many problems we need to sort out here? When we are still coming out of a recession?

I'm sure the millions of pounds they've been given would be far more useful to our own economy, or the NHS. I don't like how people are so eager to give to people abroad but less so to UK charities.

If the UK got itself into some trouble, who would help us out? Haiti certainly wouldn't. Recently we were covered in snow and in desperate need of salt but there wasn't anyone bailing us out, so why do we feel the need to meddle in everything (Iraq...)?
    I see where you are coming from. But you can't compare need for grit on the roads to need for food, water, life saving medicine. Here we get food at the table, we can just stroll into A&E and get ourselves patched up and better, we get education, we can drive around in nice shiny cares, we can walk the streets feeling safe (ish, lol), we have a fair government.

I think it's a shame that it takes an earthquake and thousands of people dying for people to give to charities. We should be giving money all the time.

ReputationRep:
    Their problem = Loss of lives.
    Our problem = Loss of jobs.

Words on their charity tin: please help us get food and water to survive.
    Ours: Please give us money so that our spoilt kids can still have sweets, games consoles, clothes, CDs, DVDs and anything else they wish.

Do we have perspective now?

ReputationRep:
    Please keep anon, I don't know if I've got the wrong end of the stick :o:

So the recent earthquake in Haiti is really sad and it's awful that so many people died and many more left homeless... but should we, the United Kingdom, really be giving them money when there are so many problems we need to sort out here? When we are still coming out of a recession?

I'm sure the millions of pounds they've been given would be far more useful to our own economy, or the NHS. I don't like how people are so eager to give to people abroad but less so to UK charities.

If the UK got itself into some trouble, who would help us out? Haiti certainly wouldn't. Recently we were covered in snow and in desperate need of salt but there wasn't anyone bailing us out, so why do we feel the need to meddle in everything (Iraq...)?

A few million pounds is nothing compared to what we have really and considering the money we spent on Iraq, I think we can be sure we have negative karma still. It's not a great drain on our finances and Haiti is a country with real problems at the moment, not incredibly minor ones like ours are by comparison. We're one of the richest countries in the world, we would be expected to help ourselves. Considering how much of our wealth has come from exploiting other countries in the past, I have no problems with giving out some aid. I would encourage more of it.

Also, come on, like our snow woes were really that bad. Grit wasn't in THAT short supply and even if it was, it's not like an earthquake had destroyed all of London. Your comments bear a striking resemblance to Nick Griffin's. I wouldn't call you heartless but these comments are quite idiotic.

ReputationRep:
    Do you realise you compared this

to

-_-

also one pound is worth about 65 haitian Gourde. Give 5 and youve given them over 300.

youre not a selfish cow, youre more an ignorant cow

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps not a heartless cow, just ignorant

ReputationRep:
    This reminds me of this one time where my college put on a cake sale for children in need, and one of my (now ex) friends refused to donate because she felt she was a "child in need" and nobody helped her. She wasn't, her parents just happened to be on the dole. That hardly compares to the people that children in need actually help.

So to answer OP's question, I think you're a pretty ignorant person who needs to be educated on the real extent of the problems that Haiti are currently dealing with.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.