Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want a career at sea, that's for definite. however I can't decide which option it better for me:-

In the Royal Navy you apparently have a 'one in a life time' experience, get respect and feel like your in 'one big family', but your life is at risk.

The Merchant navy still has good pay but not as high as the RN, the job is easier to get a place (in my position), but voyages are extremely long and you would work with a very small crew.

Both careers involve been away from home quite a lot which could affect bringing up a family.

Please answer giving reasons why, and please do not hesitate to tell me any further information.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lscott22)
    I want a career at sea, that's for definite. however I can't decide which option it better for me:-

In the Royal Navy you apparently have a 'one in a life time' experience, get respect and feel like your in 'one big family', but your life is at risk.

The Merchant navy still has good pay but not as high as the RN, the job is easier to get a place (in my position), but voyages are extremely long and you would work with a very small crew.

Both careers involve been away from home quite a lot which could affect bringing up a family.

Please answer giving reasons why, and please do not hesitate to tell me any further information.

Thanks in advance.
    I would personally choose the merchant navy, because I wouldn't really be up for military training or potential conflict etc. For me the merchant navy offers the adventure a career at sea provides without any of the negatives. Therefore, the slight difference in salary would be worth it in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Well, do you want to fight or not?

If not, the MN, if so then RM. Obviously there are other advantages of joining the RN, your within the forces so get the opportunities to do stuff would wouldnt within the MN. The sport, travel, learning different skills etc.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, how much would your life be at risk aboard a modern warship? You can't get anywhere near Afghanistan for a start! The biggest threat in the world is that of insurgents, priates and terrorists, the sort of groups that are very unlikely to attack a ship head on.

I'd say the Navy is by far the safest of the services to join - probably the most you'd be doing is chasing pirates or bombarding shores from a long way out.

ReputationRep:
    im training for MN, and love it, but have no experience of RN.

i'd look at RFA, as its RN without conflict. its very competitive though

ReputationRep:
    I am moving towards the Merchant Navy at the moment, but its just that the RN looks like quite a bit of fun aswell as when I am an old man I can say "I done something in the war" instead of saying "no I stayed out of it" if you know what I mean? Thanks for the answer btw

ReputationRep:
    Which do you guys think is more difficult to get into? I dont really think that I want to go to uni tbh. But for the MN I would go on and do further education to become a Deck officer, however the RN don't require it and I don't want to go and do a degree that not relevant to the job.

ReputationRep:
    I work for the MN so I can put some facts into here!

The RN is very tempting, even for someone in the MN, but pay with the RN is less because you have to pay income tax on any income from the RN, not with the MN as you are away from home for more than 6 months. So you get paid more in the MN for the same job.

If you work on cruise liners (like me) then you have much more than 20 crew! Try 900...

Piracy is a problem, but again, cruise liners don't go anywhere near those waters for obvious reasons.

It is equally as hard to get a cadetship with the RN as it is with the MN. No route is easier, they both require a lot of hard work and commitment.

Leave patterns in the MN is usually, 3 months on, 2 months off for most companies.

So, officers in the MN get paid more due to no tax, you could be on a ship with thousands of people on it, and one that goes to the best places in the world. Or you could have the excitement of being on the most advanced ships in the world fighting for the best Navy in the world. It depends what you want, both are very similar and the best thing is, the careers are interchangeable. A lot of people go to the RN from MN and vice versa.

Oh and I am an Engineer for Carnival UK...

ReputationRep:
    Which do you guys think is more difficult to get into? I dont really think that I want to go to uni tbh. But for the MN I would go on and do further education to become a Deck officer, however the RN don't require it and I don't want to go and do a degree that not relevant to the job.
    Why do you want to be a deck officer, i think it is the most boring job ever, you just sit on the bridge all day and add a few bits to the charts waiting for an emergency to co-ordinate. Are you any good at engineering?

ReputationRep:
    I am moving towards the Merchant Navy at the moment, but its just that the RN looks like quite a bit of fun aswell as when I am an old man I can say "I done something in the war" instead of saying "no I stayed out of it" if you know what I mean? Thanks for the answer btw
    Look, if WWIII breaks out, which lets face it, it will sooner or later, it doesn't matter if you are RN or MN at that point, you will be fighting for the UK in the war effort. Just like the MN did in WWII, transporting fuel, food and supplies from America to the UK, Europe and Russia.

And, the MN was used as recently as the Falklands, think QE2...

ReputationRep:
    You seem to be overlooking one key point: the RN's function, at the end of the day, when you get right down to it, is to kill people. I know they don't get the opportunity very often anymore, and even when they do it's done at ranges where you don't get your hands dirty (as it were), but still. Is that really what you want to be involved in? I mean, OK, so most of the jobs aren't working directly on the weapons systems, but you're stilling part of running a warship and a warship exists (though it does other things a lot of the time) to kill.

Might or might not be a problem from your point of view, but surely that has to be a big point to consider?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom)
    You seem to be overlooking one key point: the RN's function, at the end of the day, when you get right down to it, is to kill people. I know they don't get the opportunity very often anymore, and even when they do it's done at ranges where you don't get your hands dirty (as it were), but still. Is that really what you want to be involved in? I mean, OK, so most of the jobs aren't working directly on the weapons systems, but you're stilling part of running a warship and a warship exists (though it does other things a lot of the time) to kill.

Might or might not be a problem from your point of view, but surely that has to be a big point to consider?
    To be fair, and I see completely where you are coming from. But my mate carried weapons grade Sulphur on his ship to Israel...now I wonder what that will be used for? I think if you start over analysing these things and how you are implicated in getting your hands dirty as it were, then you will just drive yourself crazy.

Best not to think about it and do what you want to do.

In saying this, I did give up a career in the RAF for those very reasons you posted so playing devils advocate...

ReputationRep:
    Im not very much into engineering tbh. besides I don't particularly want to go to uni to study for a degree. You said it was hard to get a cadetship. Exactly how hard as in what qualifications have you got. thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it depends on who you want to work for. The better the company, the stiffer the competition and the harder it is to get in.

I work for Carnival UK as I said, which is cruise liners and arguably they along with BP, Shell and RFA offer the best cadetships. So they have the most competition. You can go with agencies like SSTG and Clyde Marine, who require less qualifications and that X factor, but you will be dogged by equally bad shipping companies, IMO.

You will study for a degree anyway, when you go to Warsash, you have to have a higher education to get your officer status (well you don't have to, but it is easier this way). So, for me, I get a HND in Mechanical Engineering, Deckies get something else, but it is still a HND or foundation degree (one and the same really).

You need at least 3 A levels, ABB, GCSEs in Maths, English and Science with at least a grade B, and then whatever else is only in your favour. I also have a BA(Hons) in Geography before joining the MN, but that is worth sweet FA really now.

But it is not all about qualifications, you have to show leadership, teamwork, charisma, commitment and perseverance.

Hope that helps,

Graham

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much everyone you were of great help and I will have a look at the careers.

ReputationRep:
    No worries, try http://www.oceanopportunities.com/ if you are interested in a career with Carnival UK.

ReputationRep:
    So this is all of the British companies I take it? I had a look at Princess Cruises careers and that appealed to me. I was told that the bigger the company the more chances of promotion.

ReputationRep:
    Nah other way round usually.

Cruise companies are tricky to get promotion on because there are so many people working on them, small ships have a much faster progression. On a cruise liner, you could be Captain by 40, on a tanker, by 33, easy. If you qualified at 21 say.

It is not impossible on cruise liners, just progression is slower.

If you want to be based in the UK and have British Officers, you are better off looking at Carnival UK, despite Princess being part of Carnival UK, it is now so big that it is a company in itself. Carnival UK is a umbrella company for Cunard, P&O Cruises, Ocean Village, Yachts of Seabourn, etc...

ReputationRep:
    So what cruise line do you work for?

ReputationRep:

Thanks in advance.
    I would guess that there is more risk of death in the merchant navy than the RN, long voyages and shipping routes being what they are.

IMO I would prefer the longer journeys, and am somewhat of a pacifist.

My Gdad was in the merchnt navy and ended up at Ellis Island, not that its relevant in the slightest.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.