Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Merchant Navy or Royal Navy? watch

ReputationRep:
    I take it that you are taking the mick due to your warning level of 12?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkady)
    he actually did get severely beaten by russians several times on his first voyage, he didn't explicitly say he'd been ass raped but his eyes told the whole story.
    Where is he studying, what company and what type of vessel?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not prepared to disclose what company but he works for but he's on container ships, from what I can tell him and all the other employees are corrupt as **** as well as beating him in they also showed him how they open up the containers on his first voyage and by the way my warning level of twelve is all part of my undercover work as a voluntary moderator
    see public announcement here for further information on how to become a voluntary moderator yourself -

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1159564

I've actually been giving some serious consideration to a career at sea myself recently, this thread has been an interesting read. I used to eat glass as part of a circus sideshow so my ass is like the inside of a cheese grater anyway, I reckon I'll be safe from the rapings.

ReputationRep:
    Ok matey.

ReputationRep:
    Now I know its not completely like a holiday, though when you are not on duty are you allowed to go and mingle with the passengers? Or even go and pay to have a meal onboard one of the ships? I mean I know you get your own room and accomidation, but if you wanted to could you mix with the passengers?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, as an officer you are entitled to full deck privileges, you can use the pax gyms, pools, bars, theatre, cinema, everything. You eat the same food as the Pax, and it is all free. Except for the Marco Pierre White restaurants where you pay a very small surcharge to eat there. You can mix with the Pax as much or as little as you want.

As a cadet officer you get the same, just you have to share a room with another cadet.

ReputationRep:
    This just sounds to good, are there any downsides?

ReputationRep:
    Being away from home for 3 or 4 months? Depends on how much you like your family.

ReputationRep:
    Please don't take this as a personal queston, but have you been able to find a partner to adapt with your career? raise a family? own a home? have a car? It is just that I had the thought that if I was looking for a partner and told her what I would hope to do this for a living might that be seen as a turn off? I won't be offended if you do not answer the question, I just wanted to know roughly.

ReputationRep:
    Well I have been with my gf for the past year or so and she knows what I do and waited for me whilst I went to sea. I think you need to have quite an independent gf in the first place but there is nothing stopping you.

You can bring your gf onboard anyway for like 60 days of the year I think, free.

I have a car, it just sits on the drive doing nothing for 4 months, fine by my, no wear on the car! I don't own a house or have a family. But there are plenty of people that do on board and they seem to manage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Well I have been with my gf for the past year or so and she knows what I do and waited for me whilst I went to sea. I think you need to have quite an independent gf in the first place but there is nothing stopping you.

You can bring your gf onboard anyway for like 60 days of the year I think, free.

I have a car, it just sits on the drive doing nothing for 4 months, fine by my, no wear on the car! I don't own a house or have a family. But there are plenty of people that do on board and they seem to manage.
    Hi, you seem to be knowledgeable on the subject. I'm thinking of a career with the MN as a deck officer and I want to do the foundation degree. I have only recently started sailing as a hobby, but have no other experience or knowledge about sailing, nor do I come from a family of sailors.
    I'm doing A levels at the moment, but not maths or physics. I will certainly be able to get the minimum requirement of 120 ucas points. I have a B in gcse double science, B in english and C in maths. I've just got a first aid qualification if that helps as well. I've received offers for completely unrelated courses at unis through ucas as a back up.
    Basically I want to know what my chances are. Will everyone applying be grade A students who have a lot of experience at sea? Also if I do manage to get an interview what sort of things are they looking for?Thank you for you time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You-Rock-My-World)
    Hi, you seem to be knowledgeable on the subject. I'm thinking of a career with the MN as a deck officer and I want to do the foundation degree. I have only recently started sailing as a hobby, but have no other experience or knowledge about sailing, nor do I come from a family of sailors.
    I'm doing A levels at the moment, but not maths or physics. I will certainly be able to get the minimum requirement of 120 ucas points. I have a B in gcse double science, B in english and C in maths. I've just got a first aid qualification if that helps as well. I've received offers for completely unrelated courses at unis through ucas as a back up.
    Basically I want to know what my chances are. Will everyone applying be grade A students who have a lot of experience at sea? Also if I do manage to get an interview what sort of things are they looking for?Thank you for you time.
    What A levels are you doing? You need to have an A (B or above) level in maths or related subject for the foundation degree.

I am an Engineer and I think deck officer is boring, but on the other hand, everyone wants to do it, which means it is SUPER competitive.

I am a keen sailor, but I am kinda in the minority, I mean sure there are other sailors at college but it is not the norm as it were. And most people have zero sea experience on ships.

Qualities:- Teamwork, Leadership, Determination, Perseverance, Charisma, initiative, confidence.

Hope that helps!

Graham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    What A levels are you doing? You need to have an A (B or above) level in maths or related subject for the foundation degree.

I am an Engineer and I think deck officer is boring, but on the other hand, everyone wants to do it, which means it is SUPER competitive.

I am a keen sailor, but I am kinda in the minority, I mean sure there are other sailors at college but it is not the norm as it were. And most people have zero sea experience on ships.

Qualities:- Teamwork, Leadership, Determination, Perseverance, Charisma, initiative, confidence.

Hope that helps!

Graham
    I'm doing English Lit, ICT and Business Studies. I should get Bs in all of them. I haven't done maths or science since GCSEs, apart from the odd finance stuff in business.

If my subject choice isn't good enough for the degree, will I still be able to do the HND?

Once again thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing English Lit, ICT and Business Studies. I should get Bs in all of them. I haven't done maths or science since GCSEs, apart from the odd finance stuff in business.

If my subject choice isn't good enough for the degree, will I still be able to do the HND?

Once again thanks for your help.
    Umm, that is a matter for your sponsoring company. There is quite a heavy maths basis now that it is much more competitive due to more people unemployed.

When I joined, we were still in boom so it didn't matter so much if you did not have maths based A level, now it can be a way of sifting out people.

It is a science/maths based job, you are not doing very many maths/science subjects! I mean, don't be disheartened, just it is a matter for your sponsoring company to decide. The HND has the same entry requirements as FD.

ReputationRep:
    i currently serve in the Royal Navy, which i have done for over 10 years, im now currently looking at joining the MN or even Oil rigs. Yes the RN does give you that once in a lifetime oppurtunity at the start atleast, but tte living arrangements and way of life is not very good, for example i was just away for 6 months living in a 18 man mess which is a small mess, in a tiny little bed, and with 30 mins of phone calls a week, ive been told the MN life is way better with better opportunites to see the part of the world that the RN no longer goes too. any help in Joining the MN would be hugely appreciated!!!!

ReputationRep:
    What part of the MN do you want to get into? Pax, Reefer, Tankers, Cargo?

What qualifications do you have, can the RN not give you a hand?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Umm, that is a matter for your sponsoring company. There is quite a heavy maths basis now that it is much more competitive due to more people unemployed.

When I joined, we were still in boom so it didn't matter so much if you did not have maths based A level, now it can be a way of sifting out people.

It is a science/maths based job, you are not doing very many maths/science subjects! I mean, don't be disheartened, just it is a matter for your sponsoring company to decide. The HND has the same entry requirements as FD.
    Is there anyway I could improve my application? I don't really have the time or money to do more A levels.

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyway I could improve my application? I don't really have the time or money to do more A levels.
    Anything that shows the qualities I stated earlier and your willingness to better yourself I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Anything that shows the qualities I stated earlier and your willingness to better yourself I suppose.
    I have an interview at clyde marine and sstg, I am confident at the moment I will get through. Is it hard to get an interview in the first place, and do you have any info on the interview?

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview at clyde marine and sstg, I am confident at the moment I will get through. Is it hard to get an interview in the first place, and do you have any info on the interview?
    No idea on Clyde and SSTG as I am with a different company. But it is easier to get through with them than with say Carnival, BP, RFA, etc.

It is pretty tough at the moment to get an interview as a lot of people are unemployed and turning to MN.

Congratulations!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.