Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello again gdduo, After speaking to a few companies and advisers, competition is beginning to 'stiffen up'. Clyde Marine for example have stopped recruiting all year round and have suspended applications till September.

However I did look at the Carnival UK website, and also having a look at there financial state they look like the best option.

My question is, what are they looking for? I mean ruling out qualifications I am a qualified lifeguard, sitting my power boat license this year and I have done voluntary service? What exactly do they want, to make them think "gosh he is good, we need more people like him"? Something that would put me ahead of the game?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    You are going to have to apply this week to get Sept. entry. Most companies have stopped looking now as, as you say many people are looking for jobs at the moment!

Academics, teamwork, charisma, being good with people, teamwork, determination and perseverance, teamwork, cool head under pressure, did I mention teamwork?

ReputationRep:
    No I am not applying, just preparing to apply, I still have another year of school first. Are they picky people? I mean I was told the other day that they can judge you on one word of your application.

How many Officers do you think Carnival UK recruit per year?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what kind of Officer you want to be, Deck not many now as we are saturated, engineers/ETO we are desperate for so...

Oh yeh, like any job, you will get judged very quickly as there are so many applicants.

ReputationRep:
    So what is the application process like? Do you just send it in, get a call, sit some tests, have an interview and wait? What sort of questions are in the interview? Are you with the other people who are trying to get the position?

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much!

General generic questions that you would get in any interview, why you want the job, what do you want out of it, future plans etc.

Yes, you sit with other people, it is very much like The Apprentice style or RAF OASC process.

ReputationRep:
    How did you prepare yourself for the interview?

ReputationRep:
    Researched Carnival, senior officers, Engineering duties, etc etc

Its pretty straight forward stuff, something you would do for any interview!

ReputationRep:
    If the first application is objected, would you advise me to try again next time and continue to do so until successful or try and apply to another company?

The thing I dislike about Carnival UK it that on the website it says that if you don't hear from them within 3-4 weeks your application will have been objected. Not even a phone call to say why.

ReputationRep:
    That is the same with most companies though :confused:

You have to phone them to find out why, they are under no obligation to tell you and not many companies would!

I got straight in with Carnival but there are plenty of other companies so it depends on how much you want the job with Carnival I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    Do you get to choose what ship you get posted on or do they just pick one for you without your opinion in mind?

Are they a friendly load of people that you work with?

ReputationRep:
    First sea phase, no. Second sea phase and when you are qualified, yes.

Yes, very friendly, I love it!

ReputationRep:
    I take it as part of your job you have to talk to the passengers or is this just the Deck staff?

ReputationRep:
    Deckies have to talk to them more as engineers are in general an anti-social lot more interesting in getting pissed than Pax, but neither are obliged to talk to Pax, just helps.

ReputationRep:
    So are you on shore leave at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    Sort of, I am still at college. I qualify next year. I go away on Arcadia on 23rd May.

ReputationRep:
    Is college hard work or is it reasonably easy going?

ReputationRep:
    haha, no, its hard graft! Worth it though. Lots of exams.

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody you know have to drop out of the course?

ReputationRep:
    Or in other words is there anything embarrassing you have done during your career?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.