Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Merchant Navy or Royal Navy? watch

ReputationRep:
    There is around a 60% drop out rate, so plenty! It is VERY competitive and some people just can't hack it.

Not yet, but I am sure there will be tales to tell soon!

ReputationRep:
    60%!! thats huge! Are you sure? what does everybody fail on?

ReputationRep:
    Maths usually. (But this is engineering, everything is maths!)

ReputationRep:
    I hope navigational maths is a little bit easier for a Deck Officer.

ReputationRep:
    its a piece of piss in comparison! depends how good at maths you are tho of course!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    No idea on Clyde and SSTG as I am with a different company. But it is easier to get through with them than with say Carnival, BP, RFA, etc.

It is pretty tough at the moment to get an interview as a lot of people are unemployed and turning to MN.

Congratulations!
    Hey, this is you-rock-my-world on a different account as I got banned.

Just to let you know, I got through the initial interview well and I've just been forwarded to a company for the 2nd interview, hopefully I will have a place at Warsash college in september

Thank you for your advice given!

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations mate!

Which company?

ReputationRep:
    Meridian Marine Management. I did make two other choices in order of preference. There were only 3 companies left with vacancies.

ReputationRep:
    What ships do they do?

ReputationRep:
    I can't seem to find much information about the company, though I was told at the interview they do cargo, bulk carriers, container ships and a few others. The company has bases in Palma, Barcelona and England which sounded alright.

If I fail to get past the second interview, then I'll reapply early in January for a Cruise liner, or one with better travel prospects.

Do you know how many people get through the first and second interview? I have found out only about 30% who apply get an interview in the first place, but was just wondering how many people actually get sponsored.

ReputationRep:
    No idea mate, I just went straight to Carnival and got accepted, didn't apply anywhere else.

Its this company isn't it? http://www.meridian-marine.net/index.html

Looks like Bulk mostly. Interesting life, even if you don't see the world straight away, the training is standard on cruise ships or any other so it really doesn't matter, you just transfer if you want to when you qualify.

ReputationRep:
    I now have an interview with them on 5th May, I should get through this easy.
    I found out they also do RORO ferries around the med too, so its not just bulk.

ReputationRep:
    My interview for Carnival was on the 6th May lol, day after my 21st B'day!

Don't get too over-confident, confidence is good, overconfidence is not.

ReputationRep:
    Its not over confidence lol, I'm just trying to think positively as I'm a motivated person.

ReputationRep:
    Fair play

ReputationRep:
    This is Sexual-Harassment-Panda, I got a permanent ban warning so that's why my accounts keep getting banned lol.

I have some good news, I have passed my second interview and they will be sending me a contract in the post. I will be starting at Warsash in September.

I guess I'm very lucky, to have the minimum grades required and be selected out of thousands of applicants.

Are you still in training or have you finished your course?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good!

Still training, so I will be a Phase 5 Engineer Cadet in October 2010 at Warsash. That will make a lot more sense to you in September.

ReputationRep:
    Royal Navy, no question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Sounds good!

Still training, so I will be a Phase 5 Engineer Cadet in October 2010 at Warsash. That will make a lot more sense to you in September.
    Do you know if we can get a student grant at all? I know I will have enough money to live on, but hey, if I can get the grant I will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lscott22)
    I want a career at sea, that's for definite. however I can't decide which option it better for me:-

In the Royal Navy you apparently have a 'one in a life time' experience, get respect and feel like your in 'one big family', but your life is at risk.

The Merchant navy still has good pay but not as high as the RN, the job is easier to get a place (in my position), but voyages are extremely long and you would work with a very small crew.

Both careers involve been away from home quite a lot which could affect bringing up a family.

Please answer giving reasons why, and please do not hesitate to tell me any further information.

I am gay
    Thanks in advance.
    To be honest, either job in the navy won't threaten your life in either way. Boats are obselete forms of transport in the event of a war. Basically if you join the navy you are a pussy because you are trying to avoid any direct conflict. The navy is of little use nowadays. Personally if you want to make a change to this war in Iraq DONT join they navy. Join the army or airforce or anything more useful than the navy. The navy is full of a bunch of gays who want to avoid the war.
    I seriously doubt that within the next few years, this war will be over because of the navy. Without fighting directly the navy is being very little use. Wow they can move certain items of use such as tanks. But saying that so can certain planes or helicopters.
    **** it. If i had my way, we would have nuked these ***** by now and we wouldn't even be needing to fight the *****.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.