The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
CammyMadden
To be honest, either job in the navy won't threaten your life in either way. Boats are obselete forms of transport in the event of a war. Basically if you join the navy you are a pussy because you are trying to avoid any direct conflict. The navy is of little use nowadays. Personally if you want to make a change to this war in Iraq DONT join they navy. Join the army or airforce or anything more useful than the navy. The navy is full of a bunch of gays who want to avoid the war.
I seriously doubt that within the next few years, this war will be over because of the navy. Without fighting directly the navy is being very little use. Wow they can move certain items of use such as tanks. But saying that so can certain planes or helicopters.
**** it. If i had my way, we would have nuked these ***** by now and we wouldn't even be needing to fight the *****.

Clearly Master Madden has no idea of what the Royal Navy does, or what it can do for that matter.

Recently, the RN deployed a huge amount care packages to Hatia. Niether the Air Force or the Army could have done this in an efficent maner, ok maybe the Air force, but it would cost too much.

The current role of the RN is to protect British interests at home and abroad, executing the foreign and defence policies of Her Majesty's Government through the exercise of military effect, diplomatic activities and other activities in support of these objectives. The RN is also a key element of the UK contribution to NATO, with a number of assets allocated to NATO tasks at any time.

So tell me, what happens if the UK needs to be evacuated? In the case of, say a nuke? Are we all going to get on planes? not enough! The RN have 900 ships. OK it might no get all of them, but it will help.

So your saying that our government and our country is paying the RN to do, as you say "nothing" ? You have no idea.
Exactly, they are providing help to a country, helping in at all with the war in Iraq. the only reason Britain even has a navy is that in the past, we were renown for having the world's biggest navy. However that isn't even the case anymore, the government simply believe that because we are an island, a navy is the best way forward. It's not.
Also, can i just point out that if we are going to get nuked, we are ******. It is as simple as that. There is no chance of us being able to get to ships or planes in order to escape. We are dead. That is why we should nuke them first. It's going to happen, it's just a question of who will nuke who.
Also Haiti is recent, what have the navy done apart from that ? Bum each other and get raided by pirates. Losing the British taxpayers money. Good job navy, good job. If the navy wants to do something of use, they should go to Iraq and actually do something. Instead of bobbing about at sea.
Reply 102
ManMountain92
Do you know if we can get a student grant at all? I know I will have enough money to live on, but hey, if I can get the grant I will.

You can get the student loans, but as you are working with a contract and employed, you don't get grants.
Reply 103
Lscott22
Clearly Master Madden has no idea of what the Royal Navy does, or what it can do for that matter.

Recently, the RN deployed a huge amount care packages to Hatia. Niether the Air Force or the Army could have done this in an efficent maner, ok maybe the Air force, but it would cost too much.

The current role of the RN is to protect British interests at home and abroad, executing the foreign and defence policies of Her Majesty's Government through the exercise of military effect, diplomatic activities and other activities in support of these objectives. The RN is also a key element of the UK contribution to NATO, with a number of assets allocated to NATO tasks at any time.

So tell me, what happens if the UK needs to be evacuated? In the case of, say a nuke? Are we all going to get on planes? not enough! The RN have 900 ships. OK it might no get all of them, but it will help.

So your saying that our government and our country is paying the RN to do, as you say "nothing" ? You have no idea.

Actually, technically the aid deployment to Haiti was by the RFA Largs Bay, which although owned by the MOD is actually part of the Merchant Navy and run by civilians, dressed up as RN. The RFA fuel, supply, transport and run the RN as well as carry out drills and counter narcotics exercises. Basically what you have described above. Most of the RN are currently in the Middle East protecting the MN from those Somali Pirates and our interests in Iraq.

/pedant

:p:

But...since when did the RN have 900 ships!?

Latest