Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello my fellow photographers i am really interested in starting to play around with light painting, and was wondering if anyone could recommend me a laser pen or something similar which would get a great affect with this type of photography.

Why would you want a laser pen? I'm not convinced that'd even work as the vast majority of the light is focused along the beam so you'd have to shine it into the camera, which would leave you a tiny area to paint on. Unless you actually shone it onto something and the camera would pick up the dot.
    Just use a torch, they come in about a million different diameters from those little single LED units for narrow lines up to big massivespotlight units for thick lines. Then you can either shine it onto things or paint in the air with it.
    You could even just use your phone and keep the screen backlight activated somehow.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you get a ridiculously powerful laser (which would be illegal and incredibly dangerous if misused) all a laser would be good for would be painting on a wall.

Sparklers work v well if you want to paint in air.

ReputationRep:
    Here's a few of mine:

16 second shutter speed + 10mw green laser, making patterns.

12.7 second shutter speed + 10mw green laser, writing my name on the wall - 1st attempt.

12.7 second shutter speed + 10 green laser, writing my name on the wall - second attempt.

Next lot are a 30mw laser.

One of my favourites, yes I used a 30mw laser and drew a giant G on the side of Sydney Opera House at 7:30pm on a friday night in Summer when it was super busy.

Playing around:

Few others my couside did when playing if you want to see them:

10mw laser cost £15, but prices have fallen etc and the 30mw only cost like £12.

ReputationRep:
    A note:- be careful about lasers off of eBay and DealExtreme - lots of them don't have IR filters which means that harmful rays can be given off causing extreme damage to eyes over a period of time, EVEN if you don't look directly at the laser. Also, sometimes they essentially 'overclock' a low powered laser so it produces moer than it's meant to, meaning it dies after a very short amount of time (it'll start off producing loads, then after about a day it will slowly give out less and less).

Also, if you ever have to clean it or examine the end, for god's sake take the battery out. I would recommend taking the battery our when you're not using it, so that inquisitive roommates/flatmates/parents/siblings don't pick it up without knowing what it is and blind themselves. It might sounds obvious or unlikely to happen, but I've known it happen to people (somebody I know was cleaning the end of their laser and luckily didn't sustain eye damage when he accidentally turned it on. Somebody else I know left it in their room and their dad picked it up and thought it was a torch. Luckily it just missed his eye.)

ReputationRep:
    I got two from dealextreme and one from a market in hong kong. Had my 30mw for about two years now from deal extreme, and my 50mw from hong kong market since may. And lost my 10mw a while back.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.