Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm looking for a bit of help here.

So I've got a PS3 and until very recently I had a lot of fun gaming online, using my BT Broadband. Unfortunately BT started dicking around and I had to cancel my contract with them. Now I've got a USB internet 'dongle', it's pretty cool although the monthy usage allowance is a bit annoying (15GB, but still).

The flaw here is that I can't see any way for me to connect to the Internet with my PS3 any more, meaning no more online gaming and even worse, I can't update games so if they're glitchy (looking at you Fallout 3) then I'm pretty stuffed.

So, does anyone know how (or if it's possible) to use the USB to connect to the Internet on PS3?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You can if you have a computer next to your PS3 and an ethernet cable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesome-o)
    You can if you have a computer next to your PS3 and an ethernet cable
    How so? Please bear in mind that I'm pretty computer illiterate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeliWolf)
    How so? Please bear in mind that I'm pretty computer illiterate.
    At the most basic level, stick the dongle in a USB port on your PC, and stick an ethernet cable in the back of the PC and the back of the PS3 :p: There's probably a bit more to it than that, though :ninja: So, someone else can explain it for me courtesy of Google.

Taken from http://www.ps3chat.com/playstation-3...ut-router.html
    Broadband is the same way...

1. make sure you have 2 network connections on your computer. (ie. one Ethernet, one Wireless or 2 Ethernet)

2. Connect your computer to the modem via ethernet or wireless through the first connection, and then connect your computer to your PS3 using the crossover cable from the second ethernet port on your computer.

3. If you are running Windows 2000 professional and above (ie. XP), go to start -> settings -> control panel, and open network connections.

4. Once network connections window is opened, right click on the first connection (The connection you used between the modem and your computer), and choose properties.

5. Once the properties window pops up, click on the advanced tab (for Vista users, click on the sharing tab), and check the "allow other users to connect through this computer's internet connection" check box, then choose the name of the second connection in the drop down box below.

6. Finally, click OK, and voila, you have just shared your Internet connection with your PS3.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't recommend what you want to do. For a start, gaming on a USB dongle is probably going to be very laggy compared to an ADSL connection. Also, even with a 15GB monthly allowance, online gaming takes up alot of bandwidth so be prepared to pay extortionate costs if you go over 15GB usage.

(Original post by kriscs1)
    I wouldn't recommend what you want to do. For a start, gaming on a USB dongle is probably going to be very laggy compared to an ADSL connection. Also, even with a 15GB monthly allowance, online gaming takes up alot of bandwidth so be prepared to pay extortionate costs if you go over 15GB usage.
    Online gaming actualy isn't TOO bandwidth intensive... but if he's doing it constantly, and downloading updates like he said, then yeah 15gb will go fast...

ReputationRep:
    Nah it wont be excessive use of it, I just fancy an occasional bout of MW2. I've never really 'been into' online gaming and when I had it before it was only once in a while that I'd actually play online. For me it's more about the updates, for example I can't get the updates for GTA IV which could fix some of the glitches in the game.

Thanks for the info, I'll try it out.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.