Turn on thread page Beta

Hmm which graphical calculator to buy? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

Could use some help. I'm looking to buy a graphical calculator (I'm studying A level and would like something better than my fx-83ES) and it's gonna be one of these three models (or any other suggestions :-P) (oh and it can't have CAS!):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Texas-Instru...3858186&sr=8-1 (£40)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Texas-Instru...pd_cp_office_1 (£75)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ryman-FX-975...sr=8-3-catcorr (£49)

Which one do you think is the superior model. Would it be better to stick to a cheap TI model because of their world-wide use (and if so - which TI model the 82 or 83 plus) or use the Casio model which has the advantages of USB hookup.

Any help is appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I've come to the conclusion that graphical calculators are a waste of money. They're unnecessary and provide no advantage at A level, and if you do Maths at University you certainly won't be able to use it (if you're even allowed to use a calculator at all... at my University even the simplest calculators were prohibited in all exams).

Even if you get to an advanced enough level where you want generated graphs, you'll use mathematical software (such as Maple or Mathematica) to do it, so your calculator will be redundant.

So my suggestion would be to use your money for something worthwhile!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Chwirkytheappleboy]I've come to the conclusion that graphical calculators are a waste of money. /QUOTE]

I agree, but they're still cool and useful at times. I've got te fx-9750ga plus (bought it off eBay us new for £20 incl delivery). I just love watching it sketch polar equations. I know that's sounds nerdy but it gives u something to do in a borring maths lesson.

I'm very happy with my calculator. If the one quotes above is similar I would recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    I've got a TI-84. It's pretty rad. Being able to check numerical integrations, differentiations, and check graph sketches is really a useful thing. TI-84 has USB hookup, plus you can get lots of games for it if Tetris in maths lessons is your thing (just remember to wipe programs before exams). It's pretty much the same as the 83 except for USB + more RAM, so go for the TI_83 if you are stumped for cash. Don't know much about Casio calcs. though (other than the classic fx-83).

ReputationRep:
    ive got the second one and i really like it. i think its very easy to use, but i havent really used any others though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JTeighty)
    (Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy)
    I've come to the conclusion that graphical calculators are a waste of money.
    I agree, but they're still cool and useful at times. I've got te fx-9750ga plus (bought it off eBay us new for £20 incl delivery). I just love watching it sketch polar equations. I know that's sounds nerdy but it gives u something to do in a borring maths lesson.

I'm very happy with my calculator. If the one quotes above is similar I would recommend it.
    Hmm...The Casio one is similar - I might have to consider it.

(Original post by Salavant)
    I've got a TI-84. It's pretty rad. Being able to check numerical integrations, differentiations, and check graph sketches is really a useful thing. TI-84 has USB hookup, plus you can get lots of games for it if Tetris in maths lessons is your thing (just remember to wipe programs before exams). It's pretty much the same as the 83 except for USB + more RAM, so go for the TI_83 if you are stumped for cash. Don't know much about Casio calcs. though (other than the classic fx-83).
    (Original post by agatka148)
    ive got the second one and i really like it. i think its very easy to use, but i havent really used any others though

Hmm...Then again these two are TI fans. I looked and the TI84 is only £3 more than the TI83 plus so I may go for that...

Hmm... It's between the Casio or the TI84 :-P

Thanks for the help so far! It's been useful although any other comments are appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longorefisher)
    Hmm...The Casio one is similar - I might have to consider it.

Hmm...Then again these two are TI fans. I looked and the TI84 is only £3 more than the TI83 plus so I may go for that...

Hmm... It's between the Casio or the TI84 :-P

Thanks for the help so far! It's been useful although any other comments are appreciated.
    My friend has a Texas instrument (dunno which one) and it's really messy to use. The screen clarity isn't good at all.

I love my calculator even more now as just realised it can do complex numbers too. My screen is also very clear.

ReputationRep:
    sorry to dissapoint u but my casio can do the same apart from tetris. I can connect to the computer too. My one can also do complex numbers, matricies…

And the best thing about it is, I got it for £20 new in box.

ReputationRep:
    Just get the casio fx-991 ES from Amazon, it has everything you need for A-level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JTeighty)
    sorry to dissapoint u but my casio can do the same apart from tetris. I can connect to the computer too. My one can also do complex numbers, matricies…

And the best thing about it is, I got it for £20 new in box.
    Well mine can do these also: I suspect they have pretty much the same feature set. But there's more support/programs written for TI stuff, which is why I went for that. Just my preference.

ReputationRep:
    Well mine can do these also: I suspect they have pretty much the same feature set. But there's more support/programs written for TI stuff, which is why I went for that. Just my preference.
    Hmm...for me I wonder if the extra support cancels out the £30 extra :-S

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for the cheapest option. The ones listed will each be able to do all the necessary things you need and there is no point buying a super-calc if you don't know how to use half the functions.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm...for me I wonder if the extra support cancels out the £30 extra :-S
    It doesn't. I went for a TI mainly because I knew that they were a classically reliable type thing, whereas my past (though cheaper) Casio calcs tend to last a year or so before conking out. But that's kinda my prejudice: go for the cheaper one probably.

ReputationRep:
    I have a TI-83 calculator and I agree it's very useful. If price is an issue keep looking on eBay and the like because I got mine for £30 and it was practically mint condition. Came with a hookup cable and everything so yeh it's a real bargain if that's what you are looking towards.

I would still use the FX-83ES just for the natural display input methods, unless you can do that on the TI-83 (Not sure because I just got mine recently).

I second those who say you are better off saving your money. You can find free software which is both more useful and more powerful than any graphical calculator.

ReputationRep:
    I bought 9860gII - the only calculator out there with BOTH natural input and output - love carrying only one calc with me
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I have the last one, which is pretty good. I mainly just use my non-graphical Casio natural display calculator though <3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moa)
    I bought 9860gII - the only calculator out there with BOTH natural input and output - love carrying only one calc with me
    Where did you buy it from (and henceforth) where could I buy it from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greg.)
    I have the last one, which is pretty good. I mainly just use my non-graphical Casio natural display calculator though <3.
    Ah fair enough :-) -what's the model you have like? Useability? Speed? Programming?

ReputationRep:
    Where did you buy it from (and henceforth) where could I buy it from?
    I ordered it from www.amazon.de, dont be scared by german language, shipping is only 4 quid and took three days

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 21, 2010

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.