Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ello

I have a maths exam on Thursday...things are not looking good. I revised and did my chemistry exam all fine and dandy last week but because of illness I havn't been able to revise effectivley. If I missed it will I be able to do it again later on and not have my mark capped? Because if I do it and get say, 40%...I wont be able to resit to try and get 70% (to get into another uni) because 40 is my current unis pass mark. I'm on the foundation year by the way.

What do I do? My illness was and still is painful sinus infection plus chest infection. Is that illness "serious" enough to fill out extenuating circumstances form? I went the docs today for this...I should have asked for a sick note or something....

Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    i dont think you would get alot of marks for it, you only get like 1 or 2 extra marks for a sick note. But it's your choice whther you want to go for it or not :| i personally think you should go in and try it, if you have revised abit nothing surprising should come up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happi_minnie)
    i dont think you would get alot of marks for it, you only get like 1 or 2 extra marks for a sick note. But it's your choice whther you want to go for it or not :| i personally think you should go in and try it, if you have revised abit nothing surprising should come up.
    The revision thing went abit wrong over xmas (family and personal problems) so I only started in January with chemsitry revision and now I have had this flippin illness that wont let me sleep in peace or let me revise the maths parts very well. It sounds like excuses I know but it's the truth. I was thinking more in terms of the sick note being a good excuse not to sit the exam to give me time to revise.

ReputationRep:
    There's not a lot you can do. Just take some painkillers, snort some olbas oil or something, get a drink, go in there and rock it. If you do badly, there's always June. Just don't panic :3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffinz)
    There's not a lot you can do. Just take some painkillers, snort some olbas oil or something, get a drink, go in there and rock it. If you do badly, there's always June. Just don't panic :3
    Resits are April for foundation year. Haha I can't rock it with out revision...I'm rubbish at maths, and I can't even muster the stregnth to begin...keep thinking whats the point I only have 2 days :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Do you have an advisory body of some kind? My university has "student voice" for this type of thing which can explain your options. Rules may be different because its a foundation year, which is more focused on you learning the knowledge to do a degree as opposed to your actual degree. Worst comes to worst you can explain extenuating circumstances on your applications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Procrastinator)
    Ello

I have a maths exam on Thursday...things are not looking good. I revised and did my chemistry exam all fine and dandy last week but because of illness I havn't been able to revise effectivley. If I missed it will I be able to do it again later on and not have my mark capped? Because if I do it and get say, 40%...I wont be able to resit to try and get 70% (to get into another uni) because 40 is my current unis pass mark. I'm on the foundation year by the way.

What do I do? My illness was and still is painful sinus infection plus chest infection. Is that illness "serious" enough to fill out extenuating circumstances form? I went the docs today for this...I should have asked for a sick note or something....

Any thoughts?

I was in your situation last week, i couldn't even eat upto 10 hours before my exam but i must of got the best revision in possible in that time somehow and went for my exam and did horrible. but i handed in a extenumeniation circumstances form and the doctor is writing me a letter which will goto the board of examinars.

Basically if the doctor says your ill then fair enough but otherwise get your ass into shape.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diminutive)
    Do you have an advisory body of some kind? My university has "student voice" for this type of thing which can explain your options. Rules may be different because its a foundation year, which is more focused on you learning the knowledge to do a degree as opposed to your actual degree. Worst comes to worst you can explain extenuating circumstances on your applications.
    I'm not too sure about that advisory body thing, but where on my application would I explain that? In a seperate letter or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imhiya)
    I was in your situation last week, i couldn't even eat upto 10 hours before my exam but i must of got the best revision in possible in that time somehow and went for my exam and did horrible. but i handed in a extenumeniation circumstances form and the doctor is writing me a letter which will goto the board of examinars.

Basically if the doctor says your ill then fair enough but otherwise get your ass into shape.
    Hehe all this talk makes me want to just get on with the revision and exam. I just hope they let me resit if I feel I could do better at a later date.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Procrastinator)
    The revision thing went abit wrong over xmas (family and personal problems) so I only started in January with chemsitry revision and now I have had this flippin illness that wont let me sleep in peace or let me revise the maths parts very well. It sounds like excuses I know but it's the truth. I was thinking more in terms of the sick note being a good excuse not to sit the exam to give me time to revise.
    hmm i dont think the sick note would be fully covered for you not to sit the whole thing but maybe some extra marks . Somone I know was meant to take the test but her dad died that day so she didn't come in and she got a U which i personally thought was unfair.. (this was last year in jan).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happi_minnie)
    hmm i dont think the sick note would be fully covered for you not to sit the whole thing but maybe some extra marks . Somone I know was meant to take the test but her dad died that day so she didn't come in and she got a U which i personally thought was unfair.. (this was last year in jan).
    :eek: I hope she got the chance to resit! That's horrendous
    I've disided to just do the exam and beg them for a resit :yep:

ReputationRep:
    You might as well sit it to see what you get. If you have to resit, you resit. Sheffield cap this though so you can only get 40% in a resit so you sorta have to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absinth)
    Bring a note/medical certificate from a doctor/hospital and fill in a mit circ. form, and you'll be able to sit the exam later in the year without it being capped.
    As I have already seen my doc do I just go back in there and just ask for this note? Do I have too make an appointment as if I'm ill? Never done it before

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dlg3579)
    You might as well sit it to see what you get. If you have to resit, you resit. Sheffield cap this though so you can only get 40% in a resit so you sorta have to go.
    We have differnt pass rates like me it's 40% but say the pharmacy guys have to get 70% so would thiers be capped at 70%? It's a little unfair as I need to get higher than 40% because I want to go to manchester instead.....

ReputationRep:
    If your doc knows you've been ill, ask him for a note or medical certificate to confirm you can't sit the exam. Make an appointment, or go to the docs and ask if they can see you straight away. Two of my friends have done this and haven't had their marks capped. Your marks should only be capped if you've attempted the exam and failed once, and resat it.
    I could sit the exam now I'm on the mend, it was more that I couldn't revise properly. Also I emailed my tutor about this, they were not helpful...and now they might think it's dodgy if I suddenly miss the exam...I don't know what to do How long after the missed exam do you have to hand in extenuating form?

ReputationRep:
    It depends on your uni. Do you think you'd still be able to get a decent pass? If so, I recommend just sitting the exam.
    I don't think I would get a decent pass, I don't feel confident at all not like the last exam I did. Thanks for your help though, much appreciated :yep:

ReputationRep:
    No problem. Good luck whatever you decide to do.
    Thanks I bloody need it haha!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.