Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, any advice would be greatly appreciated

I'm very unsure about whether there is any chance whatsoever of this being possible, but a friend of mine is currently studying second year Economics at University of Bristol, and wanting to swap to a London uni for his third year; UCL to be precise. I understand UCL is very competitive for Economics, so I know that may also be a factor.

I looked this up and apparently for a transfer, you need to meet 2 or 3 criteria, including i) matching course material, ii) matching the current entry requirements, iii) there obviously must be a vacancy at the uni you're trying to swap to... and more. I'm not sure if I'm right there, so please feel free to correct me! (He satisfies the entry requirements for UCL, got a first in his first year and is on course for at least a 2.1 in his second, but unsure about course material).

If it's at all relevant, he applied to UCL in his initial UCAS form and got rejected -does this make it a no-go?

I'm not too sure what I'm asking, I'm not too optimistic on his behalf - basically, is it possible to swap somewhere for your third year? If anyone's done it, it'd be great to hear your experiences. And failing that, anyone have any thoughts or ideas on what I've said that may help me??

Thanks so much in advance!

ReputationRep:
    The key thing really is the first one. Matching course material. The chances of a) his course matching the UCL one sufficiently and b) the UCL academics being happy to trust the marking of his current university (not to mention the small issue of how they won't be able to moderate his second year marks; and the weighting between the two years will almost certainly be different at the two unis) makes the whole thing pretty darn unlikely tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    The key thing really is the first one. Matching course material. The chances of a) his course matching the UCL one sufficiently and b) the UCL academics being happy to trust the marking of his current university (not to mention the small issue of how they won't be able to moderate his second year marks; and the weighting between the two years will almost certainly be different at the two unis) makes the whole thing pretty darn unlikely tbh.
    I thought so. Thanks for your quick response!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.