Turn on thread page Beta

CRB Checks for US summer camps watch

ReputationRep:
    Im hoping to apply to a summer camp in USA this year and pretty much completed my application form on BUNAC, however i need some advice on the declaration part. I was arrested last summer for being drunk and disorderly in public (stupid i know), spent a night in the cells, had my fingerprints and dna swabbed. Was issued with and £80 fine and told that i wouldnt have a criminal record, now what im wondering is if i dont declare it and say iv not been arrested, it wont come up on a crb check right!? I ll only shoot myself in the foot if i do bring it up on my application? Does anyone know about this or have had similar issues in the past?

ReputationRep:
    It may not show up on CRB but it might. CRB forms show up all sorts of things like driving offences, though I've never yet seen one with a drunk and disorderly without its involving the subsequent use of a car. Depends what they actually recorded it as. I'd be open - they're far more likely to get upset if you don't admit it and it shows up... Or you could try going and volunteering for an organisation now that would do a CRB for you (anything working with kids eg scouts, primary school etc.) and see what the green form shows for you when you get it, then apply to BUNAC afterwards. Not sure how this would work with when the deadline is though - CRB can be a funny beast and sometimes they're quick, other times they're deadly slow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaymaker)
    Im hoping to apply to a summer camp in USA this year and pretty much completed my application form on BUNAC, however i need some advice on the declaration part. I was arrested last summer for being drunk and disorderly in public (stupid i know), spent a night in the cells, had my fingerprints and dna swabbed. Was issued with and £80 fine and told that i wouldnt have a criminal record, now what im wondering is if i dont declare it and say iv not been arrested, it wont come up on a crb check right!? I ll only shoot myself in the foot if i do bring it up on my application? Does anyone know about this or have had similar issues in the past?
    i have exactly the same convition. don't declare it unless it's an enchanced crb check you'll be having.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TaeKwonDo)
    i have exactly the same convition. don't declare it unless it's an enchanced crb check you'll be having.
    But virtually all work directly with children does require an enhanced check - the basic one is only if you're working predominantly with non vulnerable people but will come into contact with kids, or you'd be always directly supervised. Obviously though BUNAC is involved in working with kids who are not brits so there may be some get out there....

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replys. So do you think maybe the best thing to do would be to just tell them about it? Surely this wouldnt stop me from going to america to work for the summer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaymaker)
    Thanks for the replys. So do you think maybe the best thing to do would be to just tell them about it? Surely this wouldnt stop me from going to america to work for the summer?
    I would ring the BUNAC office before putting it on your application. You don't have to give any details yourself but just ask whether it would harm your application. It's hard to say because when I was at camp in America an American guy got kicked out of camp for buying alcohol underage with a fake ID. A little bit different but they do take records extremely seriously as you are supposed to be a responsible adult and at the end of the day the parents are putting their child in your hands for a few weeks.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.