Turn on thread page Beta

Is coheed and cambria emo? watch

ReputationRep:
    One of my favourite bands and my friends call them emo. Is this true? Not that it would change how awesome they are but it would make me wander off in a daze, curl up somewhere and rethink my musical ideology. If what is good is now what you would call bad what does anything mean anymore. :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not! :O

I almost consider that blasphemy. Their lyrics are about revenge and death and psychotic obsessions, not cutting wrists and crying about girlfriends!

ReputationRep:
    No way, Coheed & Cambria are the best band in the world.

ReputationRep:
    No. But really, would it make any difference at all? All this anti-emo stuff is petty and out-dated.

ReputationRep:
    You could have been all I wanted, but you weren't honest, now get in the ground. You choked off the surest of favors but if you really loved me, you would have endured my world!!

**** NO!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seanisonfire)
    No. But really, would it make any difference at all? All this anti-emo stuff is petty and out-dated.
    You're perfectly right of course. I'm not exactly anti-emo so much as not emo. So if my favourite band had been emo I'd have wondered if that meant that I was into emo music which would have been a new and slightly unexpected development. My question wasn't an emo bashing. It was a means of attaining personal insight.

And to the prevailing answer of no; thank god, i'll leave the rethinking of my musical tastes for another day...

On another note; what's your favourite c&c song? Mine's Delirium Trigger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oodalallyoodalally)
    On another note; what's your favourite c&c song? Mine's Delirium Trigger.
    The Crowing, definitely. The three-track vocals at the end are the best thing that's ever entered my ears, and I started crying when I heard it live.

I also really love Neverender.

ReputationRep:
    No. haha

ReputationRep:
    I agree. Sean knows his ****.

Besides, Coheed and Cambria are clearly prog metal. Good band, amazing hair.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah.

ReputationRep:
    I think Coheed and Cambria listeners are more likely to be depressed, so yes.

ReputationRep:
    Coheed are awesome.

They're not cheerful, but that doesn't make them emo . . . at least, not as far as the sappy sub-culture goes.

Just enjoy them and don't over think things.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever forum it is after midnight things always turn ugly. Anyway, Delta Usafa, keep it real bro. Tremour, CHILLAX! You're annoying people.
    point your gun in another direction
    now that you've cried yourself to sleep
    point your gun in another direction
    now that you've cried yourself to sleep
    here in there after the fire...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tremour)
    using the words 'post-hardcore' without a trace of irony.
    Do go on...

(Original post by oodalallyoodalally)
    You're perfectly right of course. I'm not exactly anti-emo so much as not emo. So if my favourite band had been emo I'd have wondered if that meant that I was into emo music which would have been a new and slightly unexpected development. My question wasn't an emo bashing. It was a means of attaining personal insight.
    I see your point, but I think you're seeing it from the wrong angle. If I found out my favourite band could be categorised in a genre that I had no previous interest in then well....That wouldn't change a thing. I'd still like the band and the most it would change is I might check out other bands in that genre and see if I really am into it. I guess the best thing is to discard genre terms altogether, they're far too subjective to mean anything.

ReputationRep:
    Do go on...

I see your point, but I think you're seeing it from the wrong angle. If I found out my favourite band could be categorised in a genre that I had no previous interest in then well....That wouldn't change a thing. I'd still like the band and the most it would change is I might check out other bands in that genre and see if I really am into it. I guess the best thing is to discard genre terms altogether, they're far too subjective to mean anything.
    :love: Come to London and stick me in a genre, baby.

ReputationRep:
    Either way, their vocalist is annoying as hell and sounds like he has received a swift punch to the throat.

ReputationRep:
    But that's exactly what I mean! It would have meant that there was probably something about the genre of emo which appealed to me so I might have tried to look beyond the obvious examples of the genre to find something else that suited my tastes.
    But is dissagree that we need to abandon all semblance of order and not catagorize anything at all. When I hear of a band through others I want to know that it's not grunge, techno, english folk, new age or symphonic metal before I consign the name to memory. From experience songs of these genres will likely not appeal to me. Doubtless, this way I miss out on some songs that are good or would even make me view a genre in a completely different way but it also saves me from listening to music that makes me want to burn my ipod. It's a highly flawed system but it's a useful one somewhat like the english education system which you might say isn't subjective enough. Good luck in your quest to rid the world of imperfect things though, if nothing else it is admirable.

Oh and the catagorization of people by their clothes and music tastes is needless to say wrong and not the intention of this person who will never again underestimate the varied semantics of the word 'emo'....

ReputationRep:
    no but they are crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Either way, their vocalist is annoying as hell and sounds like he has received a swift punch to the throat.
    Awww what? He's got a very different voice, and it's strange that it could come out of such a huge guy but... They're good!

He has awesome hair too :p:

ReputationRep:
    They're pretty cool, they're not emo though.
    Probably one of my favourite bands.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.