Turn on thread page Beta

Is coheed and cambria emo? watch

ReputationRep:
    Some idiot mod deleted my on-topic post responding to this quote, because apparently they can't delete an argument without killing posts that are the core of the thread. So I'll post it again.

(Original post by Nashy19)
    I think Coheed and Cambria listeners are more likely to be depressed, so yes.
    That's operating under the false assumption that anything/anyone depressing/depressed is emo, and vice versa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oodalallyoodalally)
    Whatever forum it is after midnight things always turn ugly. Anyway, Delta Usafa, keep it real bro. Tremour, CHILLAX! You're annoying people.
    point your gun in another direction
    now that you've cried yourself to sleep
    point your gun in another direction
    now that you've cried yourself to sleep
    here in there after the fire...
    Ten Speed Lyrics;

Nobody knows but you
    Nobody knows but you
    'cause i don't want to ride tonight...
    No i don't want to go
    I don't want to ride tonight...
    Or maybe i don't want to go

[spoken:]
    "but are you going to kill her off?"
    "are you insane? i love her character she stays."
    "yeah well the only thing love's done is put you in this position; i say kill her off!"
    "yeah but you say a lot of things... and how does that work? you're a bicycle"

Apparantly the song is about a murderous bicyle :rolleyes:
    That's far to weird and non-whiny to be emo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cardine92)
    Ten Speed Lyrics;

Nobody knows but you
    Nobody knows but you
    'cause i don't want to ride tonight...
    No i don't want to go
    I don't want to ride tonight...
    Or maybe i don't want to go

[spoken:]
    "but are you going to kill her off?"
    "are you insane? i love her character she stays."
    "yeah well the only thing love's done is put you in this position; i say kill her off!"
    "yeah but you say a lot of things... and how does that work? you're a bicycle"

Apparantly the song is about a murderous bicyle :rolleyes:
    That's far to weird and non-whiny to be emo.
    The bicycle is trying to convince him to kill off a character in the story. Though the bicycle isn't actually murderous or talking to him, the author is meant to be a schizo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oodalallyoodalally)
    But that's exactly what I mean! It would have meant that there was probably something about the genre of emo which appealed to me so I might have tried to look beyond the obvious examples of the genre to find something else that suited my tastes.
    But is dissagree that we need to abandon all semblance of order and not catagorize anything at all. When I hear of a band through others I want to know that it's not grunge, techno, english folk, new age or symphonic metal before I consign the name to memory. From experience songs of these genres will likely not appeal to me. Doubtless, this way I miss out on some songs that are good or would even make me view a genre in a completely different way but it also saves me from listening to music that makes me want to burn my ipod. It's a highly flawed system but it's a useful one somewhat like the english education system which you might say isn't subjective enough. Good luck in your quest to rid the world of imperfect things though, if nothing else it is admirable.

Oh and the catagorization of people by their clothes and music tastes is needless to say wrong and not the intention of this person who will never again underestimate the varied semantics of the word 'emo'....
    :eyebrow:

Quest? Suggesting you keep an open mind and not take too much by genre terms is a quest to rid the world of imperfection? English education system? Did you take anything before writing this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayn)
    no but they are crap.
    Agreed. SWITCH IT OFF.

ReputationRep:
    Coheed and Cambria are the best thing to ever enter my ears. And no, not "emo" at all, they don't really fit firmly into any genre, but "progressive rock" is fairly accurate.

We should totally start a Co&Ca soc - is there already one :eek:?

ReputationRep:
    Pffft.

Emo is the trash like Hawthorne Heights,
    who I used to listen to.
    But I think emo's pretty dead now anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seanisonfire)
    :eyebrow:

Quest? Suggesting you keep an open mind and not take too much by genre terms is a quest to rid the world of imperfection? English education system? Did you take anything before writing this?
    Suggesting we dispense with genres because they are too subjective is saying that we shouldn't use a flawed system and I used the english education sysytem as an example of something flawed that is necessary in spite of it's imperfection. My use of the word 'Quest' was hyberbolic; sorry. I totally agree with you to a certain extent but I still think genres are useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good Apollo)
    Coheed and Cambria are the best thing to ever enter my ears. And no, not "emo" at all, they don't really fit firmly into any genre, but "progressive rock" is fairly accurate.

We should totally start a Co&Ca soc - is there already one :eek:?
    I don't know, but I would love to start one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    Absolutely not! :O

I almost consider that blasphemy. Their lyrics are about revenge and death and psychotic obsessions, not cutting wrists and crying about girlfriends!
    That's a, uhh, pretty generalised statement, dontcha think?

Crying about girlfriend I'll give you.
    But then, what about ****** pop songs who go on and on and on about break-ups? Or r'n'b? Etc.

Self-harm/mutilation, suicide, depression, negativity, solitude and loss are themes which are common with Depressive Suicidal Black Metal.
    So yes, all of the above are negative emotions. But trust me on this, DSBM is far from "emo". :p:

ReputationRep:
    Pahaha! They are so not emo :'). Definitely prog rock/metal. I love them so much it's ridiculous :').

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.