Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Swap my BMW Z4 for a Porsche...Deal or No Deal? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been offered a 2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 with 38,000 miles for my BMW Z4 2005 2.2 with 56,000 miles...and a further £8,000.

The only thing that worries me is the insurance difference and possible running costs.

Just thought I'd see what the reaction I get here.

ReputationRep:
    Never.

ReputationRep:
    not a fan. depends how equipped it was..

ReputationRep:
    No, bottom of the range Porsche, rather not. Least it is not a Cockster though.

But it is your money, just seems a lot of money for a above average mileage bottom of the range Porsche, meh...

ReputationRep:
    Wait, porsche in exchange for BMW and 8000, or porsche and 8000 for the BMW?

I'd only possibly possibly accept if the latter.

ReputationRep:
    You own a BMW are you gay or something?

ReputationRep:
    NOOOOOOO! Porches are awful! They're just common scum! The BMW Z4 is a beauty!!! Don't do it - biggest mistake EVER if you do!!!!!!!! PLEASE DON'T DO IT!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hrmm, an everyman BMW or a Porsche. With £8000 in my pocket. Yes please.

As much as everyone goes on about it being a bottom of the range Porsche, it's still a Porsche, with essentially an improved Boxter chassis, which was renowned for its handling.

I'd have a Boxter, or a Cayman happily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reym)
    Hrmm, an everyman BMW or a Porsche. With £8000 in my pocket. Yes please.

As much as everyone goes on about it being a bottom of the range Porsche, it's still a Porsche, with essentially an improved Boxter chassis, which was renowned for its handling.

I'd have a Boxter, or a Cayman happily.
    I think you misunderstood the OP.

The deal is a part exchange, so for the Porsche, he would have to give in the BMW and then pay £8000.

A 2005 BMW with 50k miles on it is not worth more than a 2007 Porsche Cayman!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trouser Snake)
    I've been offered a 2007 Porsche Cayman 2.7 with 38,000 miles for my BMW Z4 2005 2.2 with 56,000 miles...and a further £8,000.

The only thing that worries me is the insurance difference and possible running costs.

Just thought I'd see what the reaction I get here.
    No, how could you even think of getting rid of the Z4 for that deal? They are gorgeous :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    I think you misunderstood the OP.

The deal is a part exchange, so for the Porsche, he would have to give in the BMW and then pay £8000.

A 2005 BMW with 50k miles on it is not worth more than a 2007 Porsche Cayman!
    I was going to say! Cheers for clearing that up.

Cayman plz

kthxbai

ReputationRep:
    I like bmw z4 very smal and comfortable, so i say no deal, but if you are really into sports car then i think this could be a good deal.

ReputationRep:
    But I'm a bit bored driving the Z4 now, even though I love it to death. If I don't part exchange it for the cayman then I'll probably end up with something new in the summer anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Then wait till the summer...more depreciation!

ReputationRep:
    1) Not that I believe the OP one iota
    2) People above stating the Z4 is great - have you ever driven one (Pre 08)? Absolute tosh. The 2.2 is so underpowered you'd get far more enjoyment out of an MX5.

Thing is, my friend has a Cayman S on an 07 plate with about 30k on the clock (bought new), and guess what - it's worth around the £30k mark now. When I was looking at buying a 3.0 litre BMW Z4 Sport on an 03 plate with 23k from Enfield BMW, they wanted £14k (2008). So your sums aren't matching up.

The Cayman for the record is an excellent car, it's just that the running costs are abysmal and insurance is silly. The difference in cost would be more like £20k and then added fuel, insurance and maintenance costs.

edit: The z4 (BMW Enfield offered) wasn't an 05 - it was an 03; apologies, not that it makes much difference. It was still a 3.0l spec.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Né Stig)
    1) Not that I believe the OP one iota
    2) People above stating the Z4 is great - have you ever driven one (Pre 08)? Absolute tosh. The 2.2 is so underpowered you'd get far more enjoyment out of an MX5.

Thing is, my friend has a Cayman S on an 07 plate with about 30k on the clock (bought new), and guess what - it's worth around the £30k mark now. When I was looking at buying a 3.0 litre BMW Z4 Sport on an 03 plate with 23k from Enfield BMW, they wanted £14k (2008). So your sums aren't matching up.

The Cayman for the record is an excellent car, it's just that the running costs are abysmal and insurance is silly. The difference in cost would be more like £20k and then added fuel, insurance and maintenance costs.

edit: The z4 (BMW Enfield offered) wasn't an 05 - it was an 03; apologies, not that it makes much difference. It was still a 3.0l spec.
    MX5 don't make me laugh!

My sums aren't regulated by you or your mates, you can pick up a cayman of auto trader for 20K.

ReputationRep:
    Take the cayman, the 2.2 z4 is underpowered and personally i preferred the drive of the cayman. Felt more planted in the corners etc. Really though go drive it and then make your mind up. Servicing, insurance and tax are likely to cost more but imo its worth it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trouser Snake)
    MX5 don't make me laugh!

My sums aren't regulated by you or your mates, you can pick up a cayman of auto trader for 20K.
    I know you're obviously a troll, but to correct:

1) The 05 MX5 has a greater bhp/tonne than your 05 2.2i BMW Z4
    2) The sums are pretty indicative of the current market. A 2.2l 05 BMW can be bought for around the 10k mark: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/r..._old?logcode=s
    The Cayman can be bought for 24k upwards making a £14k difference. I don't see your acquaintance throwing £6k down the swanny (and this is the closest sum you'd find).

Sorry to be an ass 'n' all, but I hate porkies being told.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Né Stig)
    I know you're obviously a troll, but to correct:

1) The 05 MX5 has a greater bhp/tonne than your 05 2.2i BMW Z4
    2) The sums are pretty indicative of the current market. A 2.2l 05 BMW can be bought for around the 10k mark: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/r..._old?logcode=s
    The Cayman can be bought for 24k upwards making a £14k difference. I don't see your acquaintance throwing £6k down the swanny (and this is the closest sum you'd find).

Sorry to be an ass 'n' all, but I hate porkies being told.
    You're obviously a troll.

1)It doesn't matter what it can do, even if a micra could take off into the sky I still wouldn't consider it. Same for the MX5.

2)Market worth has nothing to do with what my friend wants or what my car is worth because for all you know the Porsche could have minor collision damage and my car could have more extras than inspector gadget's hat.

ReputationRep:
    Personally i'd get rid of the z4 and get a real mans car... a tvr

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 22, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.