Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Swap my BMW Z4 for a Porsche...Deal or No Deal? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hontoir)
    Personally i'd get rid of the z4 and get a real mans car... a tvr
    You'd need a lifetime sub to the AA then.

ReputationRep:
    I have RAC for my RX8 anyways...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hontoir)
    I have RAC for my RX8 anyways...
    Thought they were fairly reliable, apart from the early dissipating oil problems...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moomin_love)
    NOOOOOOO! Porches are awful! They're just common scum! The BMW Z4 is a beauty!!! Don't do it - biggest mistake EVER if you do!!!!!!!! PLEASE DON'T DO IT!!!
    Are you mad? BMWs are driven by "common scum" way more than Porsches.

Porsche is the only brand left that's not driven by footballers and people on council estates with 110,000 mile used versions from 1997.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Né Stig)
    1) Not that I believe the OP one iota
    2) People above stating the Z4 is great - have you ever driven one (Pre 08)? Absolute tosh. The 2.2 is so underpowered you'd get far more enjoyment out of an MX5.

Thing is, my friend has a Cayman S on an 07 plate with about 30k on the clock (bought new), and guess what - it's worth around the £30k mark now. When I was looking at buying a 3.0 litre BMW Z4 Sport on an 03 plate with 23k from Enfield BMW, they wanted £14k (2008). So your sums aren't matching up.

The Cayman for the record is an excellent car, it's just that the running costs are abysmal and insurance is silly. The difference in cost would be more like £20k and then added fuel, insurance and maintenance costs.

edit: The z4 (BMW Enfield offered) wasn't an 05 - it was an 03; apologies, not that it makes much difference. It was still a 3.0l spec.
    God I'm glad someone has said this. I thought I was going mad for a minute....

(Original post by Trouser Snake)
    You're obviously a troll.

1)It doesn't matter what it can do, even if a micra could take off into the sky I still wouldn't consider it. Same for the MX5.

2)Market worth has nothing to do with what my friend wants or what my car is worth because for all you know the Porsche could have minor collision damage and my car could have more extras than inspector gadget's hat.
    What the hell? Contradiction much? You ask us for our opinions on whether you should do something based on cost, then have a go at us for commenting because you haven't given us enough information? Seriously.... If your car has 6k worth of extras on it why the hell wouldn't you say that in the op?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pugnacitas)
    Are you mad? BMWs are driven by "common scum" way more than Porsches.

Porsche is the only brand left that's not driven by footballers and people on council estates with 110,000 mile used versions from 1997.
    Haha are you joking?! Yeah, the old crappy BMW's are driven by those kind of people, but the Z4?!!! I have never seen a Z4 on a driveway in a council estate!! Porsche Boxsters should replace that Toyato advert because nearly every car in front of you is a bloody Porsche Boxster!

Plus, I'm pretty sure a hell of a lot of footballers have a Porsche... What you need is a real car like a TVR Now they are a beauty and reasonably rare because Trevor only made a certain number of each design Good ol' Trev!

ReputationRep:
    You are probably right in thinking the Cayman will cost a lot more to run

They are also fairly different cars - what kind of a car do you want?

Personally I would keep hold of the Z4 unless I needed to take passengers.

ReputationRep:
    The MX-5 is one of the finest driver's cars money can buy, at any price, it has been since the beginning.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.