Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to buy a sim-free mobile phone in London, but I have absolutely no idea where I can do this. I thought of buying it tax-free at Heathrow, but Dixons (the only electronics shop at terminal 4) doesn't sell any. Does anyone know of a place where I can buy one? Tax free, of course.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I think you can buy goods from anywhere and claim back the duty, you fill out a form, this is presuming you're leaving the EU. The form is available at most airports.

So, buy it in a shop and then claim the duty back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    I think you can buy goods from anywhere and claim back the duty, you fill out a form, this is presuming you're leaving the EU. The form is available at most airports.

So, buy it in a shop and then claim the duty back.
    Oh, okay. Thanks for the info. Can you recommend me any shops in particular?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Mary)
    Oh, okay. Thanks for the info. Can you recommend me any shops in particular?
    Read this.

WRT shops, perhaps carphone warehouse, but tbh, you're going to pay roughly the same everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    Read this.

WRT shops, perhaps carphone warehouse, but tbh, you're going to pay roughly the same everywhere.
    Thanks! I just checked Carphone Warehouse

ReputationRep:
    Carphone warehouse do not do VAT refunds. Only certain retailers are taking part in the scheme. I know John Lewis does if that helps...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone00)
    Carphone warehouse do not do VAT refunds. Only certain retailers are taking part in the scheme. I know John Lewis does if that helps...
    But John Lewis doesn't sell unlocked mobile phones. Or at least, there aren't any on their website. Do you know of any other shops?

ReputationRep:
    Um... Debenhams and House of Frazer both do. I rang a few places and just asked them. Sorry, best I can do.

ReputationRep:
    I find sim free phones to be more expensive than buying a regular phone. Play.com sells some.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spinnerette)
    I find sim free phones to be more expensive than buying a regular phone.
    Well yes, they are more expensive.
    Play.com sells some.
    Thanks, but what I really need is the name of a shop that I can go to in London, play.com is an internet seller right? Do you know any?

ReputationRep:
    Well yes, they are more expensive.

Thanks, but what I really need is the name of a shop that I can go to in London, play.com is an internet seller right? Do you know any?
    Independant sellers might be helpful. I've been looking around and Phones4u only do one phone of two different makers. Carphone warehouse might be your best bet. :/ I searched high and low the web for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spinnerette)
    Independant sellers might be helpful. I've been looking around and Phones4u only do one phone of two different makers. Carphone warehouse might be your best bet. :/ I searched high and low the web for you
    Thanks a lot!

After some research, I can't decide between the SE W395, SE W508, LG Cookie and LG GT360 :confused:

Any advice? I have to admit I feel quite tempted to try the qwerty keyboard :P

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot!

After some research, I can't decide between the SE W395, SE W508, LG Cookie and LG GT360 :confused:

Any advice? I have to admit I feel quite tempted to try the qwerty keyboard :P
    I would get the LG Cookie. It's better and the other LG is terrible, I know 3 people who had the LG GT360 and the phone sometimes will only send half a text, signal isn't particulary good and sometimes buttons can become unresponsive. I have an LG Secret I used to have an LG Prada which is now known as the LG Viewty.

Soney Ericsson W395 suffers from similar poor functionality to GT360. My boyfriends mum had it and had it replaced 3 times due to it cocking up constantly. The other one I don't know but this website is good for reviews!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.