Turn on thread page Beta

Seeing moments in a positive light only when I look back at them watch

Announcements

How come when I do certain things like go for days out Im anxious and fed up (its just how i am) can't wait to go home while Im there yet when I look back on the moments I see them as happy memories:confused: And feel a bit of dissapointment that I won't experience them again. Does this mean that I enjoyed the moments or not?

ReputationRep:
    It probably means you learned from the experience, or at least it had some value to you, wether it was good or bad.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i used to be alot like this, always looking back on things through rose-tinted glasses. I still do to a certain extent. I have no explanation for it, I'm pretty sure I didn't enjoy it very much at the time. I also recognise the sadness you mention. I'm sorry i have no answer!

ReputationRep:
    It's to do with expectations and the memories of boring bits fading away and just the highlights standing out.

The expectations part is that you might think about something you are going to do and say how much you expect to enjoy it, then not enjoy it as much, but then later on you'll remember how you felt about the event when you were expecting it to happen, which was more positive than the actual event.

ReputationRep:
    Because for every second you're doing something, it could end up badly (which makes you anxious), but once it's over, only then can you say, 'well that was a very enjoyable day', without any anxiety about it going wrong.
    You need to learn to get lost in the moment.

Err, I'm just making this crap up here! :dontknow: :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Because for every second you're doing something, it could end up badly (which makes you anxious), but once it's over, only then can you say, 'well that was a very enjoyable day', without any anxiety about it going wrong.
    You need to learn to get lost in the moment.

Err, I'm just making this crap up here! :dontknow: :p:
    I was actually going to say the same thing-with the anxiety out the way you can enjoy it

ReputationRep:
    I know the feeling, and a lot of stuff I do doesn't even make me anxious. I just hate it while im doing it then say never again, and a few weeks/months later im doing the same thing. So far ive taken back ex gfs, done the same job 3 times despite saying never again after each one, taken wayy too many risks behind the wheel, all sorts of things..... Think im learning though - havent worked with sheep for 4 years!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 19, 2010
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.