Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know some of you will slaughter me for questioning developed nations intervention in the Haiti disaster. However, there are important issues to be addressed and I refuse to reliquish my right to freedom of speech in the interest of political correctness. Please read the following with an open mind.

It is my belief that nations should be left to sort out their own problems. I am against the war in Iraq, because it has nothing to do with us. If a nation is strong, it will thrive on its own, if it isn't it will die out and there will subsequently be less suffering in the world. Interfering in another nations business, only gives the people of that nation somebody to direct their anger at. If America and Britain had never carved up the middle east in the 19th century, we would not be dealing with the consequences i.e. terrorism, now.

Already in Haiti, the deliverance of aid is causing violence and looting, as people fight to gain access to this aid. This violence and looting, would have happened anyway of course, but our presence there only inflames the situation further.

A nation such as Japan prepares for such eventualities because they are an intelligent, resourceful and strong country. Haiti was poorly prepared for a scenario such as this, i.e. their health system was poor, education was poor and buildings were not designed to withstand earthquakes, despite the fact that the country is positioned precisely between two colliding tectonic plates. It is this kind of weakness and lack of foresight that would be extinguished, without mercy, in the natural world.

By providing such charity, the nations of the world think themselves empathetic and magnanimous. In reality they simply build Haiti back up so they can fall again and again. By being merciless, nature is inadvertantly kind. Those who do not have what it takes to survive die, they do not survive, and therefore they do not suffer.

Sometimes the humane thing to do is to let nature take its course.

ReputationRep:
    You're an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aack)
    You're an idiot.
    You're brain washed and blind.

ReputationRep:
    We shouldn't care about Haiti, it's not something we ought to do. But if you want to do that it's entirely your choice, I only disagree that people are slamming it in my face 24/7 saying "CARE FOR THESE HAITIANS NOW. GIVE US MONEY BECAUSE THEY ARE DYING".

Would you be saying the same if that earthquake devastated your country instead? Would you sit in the rubble that used to be your house and think "oh well, It's my fault I didn't see this coming so I shouldn't expect any help." You wouldn't, you'd expect every piece of help you could get your hands on.

Because people are suffering, and as humans we should try to minimise this suffering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chucklefiend)
    You're brain washed and blind.
    I can't say I agree with your extreme Darwinist standpoint on the Haiti disaster, but I concur with your views on the Iraq war, and indeed the interference of the world's so called super-powers in the running of other nations. Both the Iraq and Afghanistan Wars have caused countless pointless deaths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    Because people are suffering, and as humans we should try to minimise this suffering.
    Why? It's not our suffering, it's not making me unhappy at all knowing other people are suffering. Not especially when there's people in our own country that are also suffering, there's so much help for people thousands of miles away, and there's still people suffering in our own neighbourhoods.

ReputationRep:
    I know some of you will slaughter me for questioning developed nations intervention in the Haiti disaster. However, there are important issues to be addressed and I refuse to reliquish my right to freedom of speech in the interest of political correctness. Please read the following with an open mind.

It is my belief that nations should be left to sort out their own problems. I am against the war in Iraq, because it has nothing to do with us. If a nation is strong, it will thrive on its own, if it isn't it will die out and there will subsequently be less suffering in the world. Interfering in another nations business, only gives the people of that nation somebody to direct their anger at. If America and Britain had never carved up the middle east in the 19th century, we would not be dealing with the consequences i.e. terrorism, now.

Already in Haiti, the deliverance of aid is causing violence and looting, as people fight to gain access to this aid. This violence and looting, would have happened anyway of course, but our presence there only inflames the situation further.

A nation such as Japan prepares for such eventualities because they are an intelligent, resourceful and strong country. Haiti was poorly prepared for a scenario such as this, i.e. their health system was poor, education was poor and buildings were not designed to withstand earthquakes, despite the fact that the country is positioned precisely between two colliding tectonic plates. It is this kind of weakness and lack of foresight that would be extinguished, without mercy, in the natural world.

By providing such charity, the nations of the world think themselves empathetic and magnanimous. In reality they simply build Haiti back up so they can fall again and again. By being merciless, nature is inadvertantly kind. Those who do not have what it takes to survive die, they do not survive, and therefore they do not suffer.

Sometimes the humane thing to do is to let nature take its course.
    This is why

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salt_)
    It's not our suffering, it's not making me unhappy at all knowing other people are suffering.
    You pathetic, selfish ********.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meus)
    This is why

This kind of shocking suffering has happened countless times in the past and will happen countless times again in the future. No amount of financial aid, food packages or medical care will stop this.

ReputationRep:
    I think the OP's point (or at least one of them) is that by 'minimising their suffering' we are merely prolonging it. That they will only live to suffer again in the future when past mistakes are repeated.

Although I think I see where you're coming from, OP, I don't agree that we should deny the Haitians aid. It may be the case that you're right, and that by helping them to survive we are simply setting them up to fall again: but there's a chance that they'll learn from their past mistakes and make an effort to prevent the current situation from repeating itself. I think it's worth giving them that chance.

(Original post by Stalin)
    Yo, and this is coming from Stalin!

How do you feel, Salt_?!

(Original post by Jungle Is Massive)
    Although I think I see where you're coming from, OP, I don't agree that we should deny the Haitians aid. It may be the case that you're right, and that by helping them to survive we are simply setting them up to fall again: but there's a chance that they'll learn from their past mistakes and make an effort to prevent the current situation from repeating itself. I think it's worth giving them that chance.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    A predictable reaction and I entirely understand where you are coming from.

ReputationRep:
    This kind of shocking suffering has happened countless times in the past and will happen countless times again in the future. No amount of financial aid, food packages or medical care will stop this.
    People die and people hurt. That's a fact of life. Does that mean you cannot cry at your mothers funeral or feel grief? Why should it mean we accept the suffering of others as "nature" whilst at the very least we can offer our humanity in the form of compassion and empathy? People have died in their sleep and lives and futures wiped from existence in moments. You may never have met those people, but I assure you, they too feel pain when you cut them, they too laugh when you tickle them and they too feel empathy for others who suffer cruelly to life. They are no different than you.

It's people like you, with your mentality, that contribute to the ignorance and arrogance fuelling this world's destruction.

ReputationRep:
    Because I can't live in luxury seeing photos and videos of innocent little kids dying of injuries, hunger and psychological harms. Because I'm a human and I've emotions and a will to help other humans within my powers.

ReputationRep:
    Yo, and this is coming from Stalin!

How do you feel, Salt_?!
    Straight from my bunker in Moscow, you know.

ReputationRep:
    The question is why should I care about the Haitians. There is no reason for me to care about the Haitians. I'm not happy with the situation there, when I see it on TV I don't feel as though it's good that it happened. I just don't care that it's happened. I'm not affected by it, so it's not my business.

Apply the logic elsewhere. There's a car crash and people die. Are you personally going to give money to help the families and the survivors of the car crash? Are you going to care for them, give them aid, support, all that nonsense? No you're not. You have no connection to the people so you don't care.

If it weren't for this Haiti thing being broadcast 24/7 you wouldn't care about that either. It's only because every news broadcast, every cause advert about it screams at you to feel guilty for other people. Then offers you a way to buy your way out of your guilt.

(Original post by neodymium)
    Because I can't live in luxury seeing photos and videos of innocent little kids dying of injuries, hunger and psychological harms. Because I'm a human and I've emotions and a will to help other humans within my powers.
    So you would say your emotions lead you to provide whatever aid you can? Interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meus)
    People die and people hurt. That's a fact of life. Does that mean you cannot cry at your mothers funeral or feel grief? Why should it mean we accept the suffering of others as "nature" whilst at the very least we can offer our humanity in the form of compassion and empathy?

It's people like you, with your mentality, that contribute to the ignorance and arrogance fuelling this world's destruction.
    I am not ignorant. I just interpret the world differently from yourself. I may be wrong, but what you call campassion, I see as a conservative attempt to sooth developed nations collective conscience.

I feel your judgements on my character, based on my opinion on this issue, a little unfair. How am I contributing to the distruction of the world anymore than yourself? I can only assume that you have built up some kind of mental image of me as a global warming denying fascist, who's extreme right wing attitudes point squarely at my utterly selfish nature. I assure you, this is not me.

(Original post by Salt_)
    The question is why should I care about the Haitians. There is no reason for me to care about the Haitians. I'm not happy with the situation there, when I see it on TV I don't feel as though it's good that it happened. I just don't care that it's happened. I'm not affected by it, so it's not my business.

Apply the logic elsewhere. There's a car crash and people die. Are you personally going to give money to help the families and the survivors of the car crash? Are you going to care for them, give them aid, support, all that nonsense? No you're not. You have no connection to the people so you don't care.

If it weren't for this Haiti thing being broadcast 24/7 you wouldn't care about that either. It's only because every news broadcast, every cause advert about it screams at you to feel guilty for other people. Then offers you a way to buy your way out of your guilt.
    I don't think families are ruined for generations by car crashes, as they are by earthquakes in developing countries, and I haven't personally bombarded by news on Haiti in the past week. I don't donate out of guilt.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.